Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th April 2014, 20:48   #1
mgmart

Rover 75 saloon

Default New Owner - Initial questions

Hi All

I just bought a 2.5L V6 saloon, 55000 miles. My girlfreind is also rejoicing becasue I can now ferry her family around in a four seat car and she can hear the music on the stereo, unlike my MGF . I'm really enjoying the car, using it for my work commute. I've started to sort out the little niggling problems that you would expect with a 12 year old second hand car. Anyway, there are a few questions that experienced owners might be able to help me out with.
1. The engine undertray is missing. I was thinking that a lazy mechanic might have left it off or perhaps it broke. I have found a replacement. Is this a common state of affairs?
2. At the beginning of a journey, say for the first 10 minutes, there is a pronounced wining noise from the engine. It almost sounds electrical, but I don't think it is. The sound gets higher as the revs rise. Anyone encountered this before? When the car is properly warm, the noise goes away and the engine is what I would call normally quiet.
3. Gear change - Doesn't always go into first as smoothly as I would expect. Also, there is a little thunk from deep down at the front of the car when first is engaged unless you take a lot of care. I think a lot of people wouldn't notice this and maybe I'm being a bit paranoid. Anyway, has anyone heard of this?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Best wishes. M
mgmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2014, 06:25   #2
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Hello and welcome to the club - congratulations on your purchase

I have moved your thread to the general forum where you should get more viewings and indeed some answers
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2014, 06:45   #3
mdhillug03
Regular poster

MG ZT 190

Hi,

Congrats on your car.

I'm no expert but;

I would guess that the thud you are hearing is a lower engine mount. These are very common. You can replace with OEM or with poly. I went with Poly easy job to do if you are good with spanners. The under tray, some have them some don't due to them getting broken. its supposed to reduce engine noise and i suppose it helps with aero but probably not that much.

Cant help you with the whine, a more experienced member may be able to help.

kind regards
Mark

Last edited by mdhillug03; 20th April 2014 at 06:50..
mdhillug03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2014, 06:49   #4
deanbmx
Gets stuck in

mg zt-t

Welcome to the club.

The whining, is it only when the aircon is on?
deanbmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2014, 07:10   #5
lovema75
This is my second home

75 Tourer CDT

Welcome!

The 2.5 is a lovely engine, I've had 3 of them.

If the deep clunk is happening when you let the clutch out yo pull away, that suggests a worn lower engine mount. Not expensive or difficult to replace. If it happens when you are putting it into gear, then the clutch is not quite disengaging properly.

Undertrays like on any car are a pain for servicing etc, but they do reduce noise, keep the engine bay cleaner, and are supposed to aid cooling by better direction of airflow.

Do also check that your cooling fan is working correctly by starting the engine, and pressing the demist button - the cooling fan should start. If not then you need to take steps to repair this.

Try and pinpoint where exactly the whine is coming from - if the aircon is running switch it off and see if it stops. Check also the power steering fluid level.
lovema75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2014, 07:10   #6
tareim
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT+ 160 v6

1. yes most understrays are missing because mechanics are too lazy to put them back on

3. sounds like a lower engine mount, easy way to check is when changing from 1st to 2nd put your foot down and see if there is any thud
tareim is offline   Reply With Quote