Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th April 2009, 16:09   #1
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Default Oil Extractor (Pela)

I'm getting my oil changed by local garage on Friday for approx £50 all in, which I'm hoping is a fair price for oil, filter and labour....?

Anyway, it struck me that I should be doing more of this stuff myself, as after all, I did build a kit car once..! The thing that has put me off with oil changes has been raising the car and grovelling underneath it, especially with my ever aging bones and diminishing eyesight!

However, seen a mention of these Pela extractors (somewhere on here IIRC) and wondered how good they are? Seen that they cost about £45 inc P&P so perhaps not cheap, but might be worth it if I could save money in future on oil changes (as well as do it more often and save the engine!!)

Has anyone used one? What worries me, perhaps unnecessarily, is that there's going to be crud right down the bottom which would ordinarily come out but is not going to be picked up by this device. Does this make sense?

Advice welcomed!
Old 15th April 2009, 16:21   #2
Gman2
Posted a thing or two

ZTT+ 1.8T, mgf 1.8

Got one and they're grrrrrrreat! Do a search on "pela" and you'll find a few posts.

Gman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 16:27   #3
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman2 View Post
Got one and they're grrrrrrreat! Do a search on "pela" and you'll find a few posts.

Certainly look good to me! So no downsides then?
Old 15th April 2009, 16:28   #4
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Whoops! Should have searched first!

Mods feel free to lock this!
Old 15th April 2009, 16:36   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_dave&gill View Post
However, seen a mention of these Pela extractors (somewhere on here IIRC) and wondered how good they are? Seen that they cost about £45 inc P&P so perhaps not cheap, but might be worth it if I could save money in future on oil changes (as well as do it more often and save the engine!!)
A good piece of kit imo. They can be got for about £35 from marine chandlers, who are often are cheaper than eBay. For example: http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/tools...FRufnAodzTQ_SA

Quote:
Has anyone used one?
Yes, I have one and lots of other members swear by them. Do a search for 'Pela 6000'.

Quote:
What worries me, perhaps unnecessarily, is that there's going to be crud right down the bottom which would ordinarily come out but is not going to be picked up by this device. Does this make sense?
The Pela does as good a job as conventional draining via the sump plug. Modern oils don't leave layers of crud, so you needn't worry about that aspect. Arguments about them not getting every last drop like the 'proper' method does are a falacy. There's a significant residual of old oil left no matter what system is used. (Consider the oil cooler for instance). The pump uses a narrow bore probe through the dipstick orifice, so the transfer speed is quite slow. It will take a good 20 minutes to empty 5-6 litres of oil, but you can put your feet up while it's working. Just a few pumps every five minutes will help maintain the speed.
When you've used one once, you'll not want to get underneath again. I'd recommend 'em anyway.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 15th April 2009 at 16:39.. Reason: Spelt Pela wrong. Thought it was Pella..?
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 17:20   #6
Rammie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Club CDT Tourer

This is where I got mine £34.95 inc delivery
http://www.seamarknunn.com/
Old 15th April 2009, 17:52   #7
ampwhu
Loves to post

Looking for a tourer

£35.90. just purchased one as i'm too old to crawl around on the floor.
ampwhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 17:52   #8
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Right, mind made up, getting one next pay day!

Thanks for advice and "cheaper than eBay" links!
Old 15th April 2009, 17:58   #9
stevemac
This is my second home

Jaguar X Type 2.2D Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
A good piece of kit imo. They can be got for about £35 from marine chandlers, who are often are cheaper than eBay. For example: http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/tools...FRufnAodzTQ_SA

Yes, I have one and lots of other members swear by them. Do a search for 'Pela 6000'.

The Pela does as good a job as conventional draining via the sump plug. Modern oils don't leave layers of crud, so you needn't worry about that aspect. Arguments about them not getting every last drop like the 'proper' method does are a falacy. There's a significant residual of old oil left no matter what system is used. (Consider the oil cooler for instance). The pump uses a narrow bore probe through the dipstick orifice, so the transfer speed is quite slow. It will take a good 20 minutes to empty 5-6 litres of oil, but you can put your feet up while it's working. Just a few pumps every five minutes will help maintain the speed.
When you've used one once, you'll not want to get underneath again. I'd recommend 'em anyway.

TC
Hey TC
How easy is it to get the filter off the 1.8. Can you do it without lifting the car. Might invest in a Pela if the filter is easy to change.

Steve

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
Winnie-the-Pooh

stevemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 18:01   #10
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Or the Sealey TP69 we use, which is more suitable for CDT/i owners as it's capacity is 6.5 litres. Drains a hot sump in under 5 mins.

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote