Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th December 2018, 18:07   #1
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Default Importance of heat shields?

Hi all, a few months back I hit an already dead badger, and it destroyed the heat shield that sits between the exhaust and fuel tank. I looked on Rimmers, but they were showing as 'Out Of Stock, Expected Soon.', and have remained that way since. I bought a 2nd hand one, but went to fit it yesterday and it turns out its the wrong one. The old 1 was already removed, and there's no way I can refit it as its too badly damaged. Will I be ok to drive during the winter and hope Rimmers get more in soon, or will I be better off trying to find the correct 2nd hand one, considering most of them are probably fairly worn around the fixing holes now.

Thanks
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2018, 18:17   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

It will be fine, I have had 'missing' heat shields and had no issues at all.
Old 17th December 2018, 18:18   #3
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

I think most of us have refitted using big penny washers. Not sure if you can run one wthout
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2018, 18:34   #4
cbr1100xx
Gets stuck in

VW touareg

Mine was removed by the mot man 3 years ago and have had no problems since , even with a different garage doing the mot.

When I questioned the fact after the latest change to mot rules , the guy said if its not there , he can't fail it , but if its fitted and loose , its a fail.

Stan
Old 18th December 2018, 15:39   #5
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Thanks, I’ll not worry too much about it then, I’ll replace it if/when rimmers get more stock.

I’d already had to use big washers to reattach it previously, then it started to come away again, then the incident with the badger bent it beyond any use at all.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2018, 16:54   #6
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
Mine was removed by the mot man 3 years ago and have had no problems since , even with a different garage doing the mot.

When I questioned the fact after the latest change to mot rules , the guy said if its not there , he can't fail it , but if its fitted and loose , its a fail.

Stan
Your MOT man is totally wrong! - If its missing when fitted as standard its failed as "Dangerous" (fire risk) if its loose then its just a manual added advisory.
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2018, 17:05   #7
philm
Loves to post

rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post
Your MOT man is totally wrong! - If its missing when fitted as standard its failed as "Dangerous" (fire risk) if its loose then its just a manual added advisory.
Not sure how many testers would know that one was fitted as original equipment,still at a loss over the fact you get an advisory for the engine under tray as fitted from new.
Old 18th December 2018, 17:34   #8
cbr1100xx
Gets stuck in

VW touareg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post
I think its down to personal interpretation , when I asked the guy , part of his answer was when was the last time I saw a car spontaneously combust because of a missing heat shield .

Just like the amount of advisories that seem to be about for rust , nearly every 15 year old car will have some surface rust on certain parts , suspension, springs,sub frames etc but is it really worth a mention on a mot cert , not in my view , but some will say yes

Stan
Old 18th December 2018, 17:55   #9
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
I think its down to personal interpretation , when I asked the guy , part of his answer was when was the last time I saw a car spontaneously combust because of a missing heat shield .

Just like the amount of advisories that seem to be about for rust , nearly every 15 year old car will have some surface rust on certain parts , suspension, springs,sub frames etc but is it really worth a mention on a mot cert , not in my view , but some will say yes

Stan
Its not Stan it's in the manual in black and white, Section 6.1.3(e) Fire risk due to fuel tank shield or exhaust shield missing where fitted as original equipment.

During a DPF regen for example, the temp can easily reach 600C+, if its blocked then they can go even higher, therefore heatshields are an essential safety aspect, even none DPF cars can have faults which raise the exhaust temps.

Unfortunately standards vary between MoT testers but its not our test, it belongs to the DVSA and we just follow the rules and regulations as laid down by their training and manuals (or at least i do!)
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 15:41   #10
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

My nephews Corsa was missing it’s heatshield following the rusting away of mountings. I spoke with my local tester who confirmed it would fail. So, a sheet of heatshield was purchased from eBay and cut/folded to size and secured. Mot pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote