Notices

Old 17th December 2018, 22:36   #11
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Does anyone remember queues at bus stops?

That concept is no longer understood in London.
Down the road from us is a little kiosk which sells newspapers and groceries through a grille in the door. The practice of queuing to buy and pay is non existent, as the locals consider it a waste of time. The trick I have learned is not give any space when I get to the front. It’s that saying “ give someone an inch and they will take a mile”...... it’s true.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2018, 09:09   #12
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Slightly different scenario but my wife and I were about to be served at the local Tesco's checkout by a young female, my wife started putting all the things we had bought on the conveyer belt as I people watched, when it was nearly all on the belt the young girl scanned the last item ... a bottle of rioja, just for a laugh I said ' do you want some ID for the wine'? she looked up at me and said 'no need .. you're clearly not under age' and proceeded to total up what we had bought! (I'm 58 ... not dead!)
I was a bit gobsmacked at that point tbh so said in gest ' I'm only 16... just had a hard life is all' then she said 'yeah.. whatever mate'. I couldn't believe what she had said and how she said it!
So I retaliated with ... 'At what point did I stop being a customer and start being 'your mate' you cheeky little mare? Just at that point a supervisor came over to ask if everything was ok, I said yes it's all sorted now, but your staff could do with a course in customer care.
To be fair, I could have left it as it was and quantified her response with a ...well .. that's teenagers for you. but it does seem as though manners in general are sadly lacking these days, and from all walks of life too.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2018, 09:26   #13
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Down the road from us is a little kiosk which sells newspapers and groceries through a grille in the door. The practice of queuing to buy and pay is non existent, as the locals consider it a waste of time. The trick I have learned is not give any space when I get to the front. It’s that saying “ give someone an inch and they will take a mile”...... it’s true.

It is the same on the underground during the rush hour. The last 5-6 years I have sometimes gone down to Liverpool Street and then taken the Central Line towards Bank during the rush hour. You really have to use your body mass to stop people pushing you out of the way and move in front of you to board the train. One of the rare occasions when excess body mass is of benefit!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2018, 19:58   #14
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I do not think with what you say it would be appropriate for me to comment as there may be underlying reasons for the behaviour/

You right it is not just please and thank you, giving up your seat on a train or bus for someone, holding a door open, all manners

macafee2
I had a chat with the girl’s mum, one on one and told her how unfair it looked on her daughter to be eating with her hands and doubled up over the plate. Her mum said they never eat together as her daughter always eats alone in her bedroom.

The daughter then appeared and joined in the conversation. I said she did not look very comfortable doubled up over the plate and she would enjoy her food better if she sat more upright and not woofing her food down so fast. (I thought of dog, but didn’t say it, as I didn’t want her to flare up and walk out).

We got onto table manners, when to start eating and when to leave the table, to put the phone away and when to use please and thank you. Did she know which fork and knife to use first? She didn’t.

I must have sound boring to her and I wondered how do these kids eat their school meals. Must it be like at Hogworts. This afternoon, Aunt and her daughter came for tea and I asked her daughter what would she like to drink and she replied “Black Rooibus Tea with 2 sugars please”..... this is good news.
Old 18th December 2018, 22:26   #15
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Don't know if it's true but I read the other day that a census on the population of London showed that over 60% of Londoners were not born in Britain.---

Could this be a reason for lack of manners ???-----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2018, 22:50   #16
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Don't know if it's true but I read the other day that a census on the population of London showed that over 60% of Londoners were not born in Britain.---

Could this be a reason for lack of manners ???-----

On the metrics, you will find it's the other way around. Just over 63% of Londoners are UK born and 36.7% born outside the UK.

I was a Londoner once and I will have you know that most of us non-Uk born people are more English than the indiginuous population. It is because we still remember the finer qualities that made a man or woman British/English. But 9 out of 10 for trying!

Last edited by MSS; 18th December 2018 at 23:05..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2018, 23:04   #17
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
On the metrics, you will find it's the other way around. Just over 63% of Londoners are UK born and 36.7% born outside the UK.

I was a Londoner once and I will have you know that most of us non-Uk born people are more English than the indiginuous population. It is because we still remember the finer qualities that made a man or woman British/Enlish. But 9 out of 10 for trying!
I was born in Islington.------

Trying to keep the numbers up.---
Old 19th December 2018, 07:05   #18
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

What about picking your nose and “eating it” !!
Belching after a meal or breaking wind LOUD? In some cultures, it is the done thing and is seen as being polite
Old 19th December 2018, 08:54   #19
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Belching after a meal or breaking wind LOUD? In some cultures, it is the done thing and is seen as being polite
Then in those cultures belch, in others where it is not the done thing, don't.

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 18:22   #20
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
You know the saying-----When in Rome etc.----

However not in Britain-------however the times they are a-changing.

PS. I've even eaten Frogs legs and Snails over here.-