Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th December 2018, 20:06   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Any one watch Inside Bentley?

this was on last night. I missed the first 8 minutes but the rest of it in my mind did not do Bentley much good. It was about the Bentley Bentayga, their 4 X 4
The impression I got, is that they took unskilled people off the street to make cars that sell for in excess of £100,000.
One of their customers sounded as rough as hell and another one was a farmer and Bentley assemble the cars quite quickly, 17 minutes I think they said.

I have driven a few of them... not far alas, big, powerful and lots of chrome
but although different from JLR stuff, I cant say I have been blown away by their interiors.

The ultimate status symbol 4 X 4.

Anyone else watch the programme, what did you think?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2018, 20:48   #2
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

Having been on a factory tour and knowing a couple of people that work there, I have certain opinions of Bentley that don't reflect the image the company projects. The Conti/Spur/Bentayga are simply big VAGs with fancy leather and wood. Only the Mulsanne resembles anything hand-built. In fairness, Bentley is a major employer in nearby Crewe and jewel in the crown of the borough, and continues to thrive and expand with VW's investment and management.
Old 14th December 2018, 22:27   #3
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

75 Cdt. VW Touareg V6 Tdi. Galaxy 1.9Tdi (x2). R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRich View Post
Having been on a factory tour and knowing a couple of people that work there, I have certain opinions of Bentley that don't reflect the image the company projects. The Conti/Spur/Bentayga are simply big VAGs with fancy leather and wood. Only the Mulsanne resembles anything hand-built. In fairness, Bentley is a major employer in nearby Crewe and jewel in the crown of the borough, and continues to thrive and expand with VW's investment and management.
I would agree that they appear to be massivly overpriced, but a simply big VAG product is a very impressive piece of kit, my Touareg is at the lower rungs of VAG's upmarket ladder but is..a very impressive piece of kit with leather and real wood.
Old 15th December 2018, 14:06   #4
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
this was on last night. I missed the first 8 minutes but the rest of it in my mind did not do Bentley much good. It was about the Bentley Bentayga, their 4 X 4
The impression I got, is that they took unskilled people off the street to make cars that sell for in excess of £100,000.
One of their customers sounded as rough as hell and another one was a farmer and Bentley assemble the cars quite quickly, 17 minutes I think they said.

I have driven a few of them... not far alas, big, powerful and lots of chrome
but although different from JLR stuff, I cant say I have been blown away by their interiors.

The ultimate status symbol 4 X 4.

Anyone else watch the programme, what did you think?

macafee2
Will never consider even if money was no object, these cars are no longer considered a status symbol ( what ever this may mean) but a fashion accessory, ( for those who are victims of fashion) not relevant in the real world, sad that these cars are bought by people who 'have money'
If I absolutely had to have one of these kind of cars it will be a Mercedes S class, but only if my accountant made me do it .....
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2018, 14:00   #5
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
One of their customers sounded as rough as hell and another one was a farmer...Anyone else watch the programme, what did you think?
I watched some of it and I was not at all surprised by the diversity of its customers. I know of one UK farmer who runs a private jet and not content with that he actually went one extra than most of the few who do the same.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2018, 17:33   #6
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Yes I saw this, it seems to me Bentley just thought they were missing out in the very lucrative 4x4 soft-roader market, for me the most aggravating part of the whole program was the total numpty who decided 'Bentayga' was a befitting name for such a marque. Many moons ago the ownership of a Bentley or such Marques signified that 'you had arrived sir' the car you drove largely reflected your status in life ( the have's and have nots) barring rock stars etc: This no longer is the case to a degree, all you need now is a lottery win or to kick a football about for 90 minutes. I'm definitely not a snob in any way but I do believe that nothing is sacred these days. when I was a teenager (very early 70's) a BMW was something to aspire to and largely out of most peoples reach, and now ... I don't know anyone who hasn't owned one!?
Even if I could run to the ownership of a Bentley my choice would be strictly limited to a Mulsanne /Turbo R.... the last (in my humble opinion) of the proper Bentleys.
I think I'm just out of touch and far too old to understand whats going on in the world.
Moan over.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2018, 18:14   #7
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Spotted one parked on the front a few months ago, fugly looking thing

suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2018, 19:05   #8
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Spotted one parked on the front a few months ago, fugly looking thing

Yes, it's like they couldn't be bothered to style the car from scratch, it's got lots of previous models styling cues and a few borrowed from other makes / marques. which is a bit sad considering how much it costs.
It may have a Bentley badge on the bonnet but it's screaming VW Toe-rag!
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2018, 19:15   #9
Best_of_British
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer & Arden Green Project

That does look terrible. I will never have the money or desire to own one.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk
Best_of_British is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2018, 20:36   #10
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best_of_British View Post
That does look terrible. I will never have the money or desire to own one.
They are hideous and no better 'in the flesh' (I frequently see them around Crewe) but they hit their target market (and strategic objective) spot on. To my eye it is a very luxurious German car with Bentley styling devices, a pastiche just like modern Rolls' and Minis.