Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th December 2018, 19:14   #11
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

I have done it before, many times, last time on a M47, every time I tried to move the tensioner with the spanner, it come loose, so I wound the belt on turning the crank. Don't know why the mech would turn it opposite to its normal rotation. I always believed, the M47 chain tensioner is capable of allowing the crank to be turned in the opposite direction, otherwise the cam would chatter in normal rotation.

So the engine turns over as normal, but it does not start.

I am picturing the car up on a car lift, and the mech with a 6' long spanner, as if he were undoing a strut pinch bolt, if we are talking bending valves on a M47 with a spanner on the crank.
Even if the mech did/could, and the engine turned over as normal, it would start but run like naughty words. There is no way the chain/s jumped a sprocket tooth, no way.
The mech must have done something somewhere unrelated to the belts, I reckon.

So all the garage said is "it is a write off" what did they do, just listen to it turning over, or actually make any investigations.
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2018, 20:01   #12
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Sounds like the mechanic was removing the old aux belt that had snapped and wrapped itself round the crank pulley, so was turning the engine backwards to unwind it to get it off.

Agree there is no way either of the camchains would have jumped a tooth, and looking at the relatively short slack chain runs, and the fact that they have long tensioner guides, any slack in the chains caused by winding the engine backwards shouldn't cause a problem.

As mentioned a compression test would confirm that valves haven't been bent, and a plug in to T4 or similar diagnostic would show up any other reason for a non start.

If your tensioner bolt turns when you take the tension off the serpentine belt try loosening the back nut, applying a bit of Loctite and tightening it up again hard - it is a left hand thread though so no righty tighty lefty loosely here.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 08:50   #13
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Bmw 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Talking to my garage they say a write off ...
Well Brian, as you can see, the consensus is that your garage is spinning you a yarn. How can that be true? I'm sure I've read on this forum that every member of the motor trade is highly professional.

Take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

Simon
Old 19th December 2018, 10:39   #14
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

'Write off' normally relates to insurance - are they saying that they are admitting to breaking it and will claim from there insurer for the value of the vehicle rather than repair it? Or are they claiming simply that it's beyond repair? In the latter case they should be able to tell you exactly what's wrong with it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Well Brian, as you can see, the consensus is that your garage is spinning you a yarn. How can that be true? I'm sure I've read on this forum that every member of the motor trade is highly professional.

Straw Man

Quote:
Simon

(remainder of post quoted so as to avoid quote out of context).

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 11:22   #15
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:

Simon
Why not put your money where your mouth is, and actually go and fix this car for the OP Simon, I'm sure someone with your "wealth of knowledge" and practical skill wouldn't mind proving he can actually walk the walk, rather than just talk the talk.

You know the routine, you fix a fellow members car for free, just because you can, spend eight months setting up a workshop, so you can spend a leisurely five hours on a Saturday changing front to rear brake pipes, calipers and refurbishing brakes, and not charging a penny, oh and invest thousands of pounds just so you can indulge yourself in a "hobby".

I recognise that there will be people in all aspects of life where their practical skills and knowledge will fall short of what is expected, I however unlike you do not tar every member of an entire profession as incompetent.

I have helped countless fellow owners over the years, both in practical assistance, and on here, you on the other hand have proven nothing more than your ability to quote passages from a pirated copy of a factory workshop manual.

I rather think Hell will be a chilly place before we see that happen

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 19:03   #16
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

The OP hasn't been back since his first post. Hope he does come back to read all the opinions posted.

( He has only 13 posts in over 8 years. --)
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 19:31   #17
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Here we go with baiting posts again, it’s pathetic. Hope the mods remove the comments and people should really read the sticky Paul put up at the top of the section. People really need to grow up and stick to offering advice and it matters not how many posts a member makes, I just hope he doesn’t read that comment or he may be put off posting again
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 02:23   #18
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Hand turning an off engine in the wrong way by hand wont do anything on a functioning engine.

Infact it can happen in everday life.

I sometimes park on a VERY steep driveway in 1st, and occasionally the car will creep a couple of engine rotations back down the drive.
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 07:57   #19
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

I’ll hazard a guess that the issue is unrelated to the removal of the damaged belt.
I bet the garage is thinking that the failed belt has caused the timing to jump or the belt to have been damaged/stripped which of coarse these done have as it’s a chain.

Would be nice for the op to come back and let us know how he got on.
Old 20th December 2018, 12:10   #20
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les4048 View Post
Here we go with baiting posts again, it’s pathetic. Hope the mods remove the comments and people should really read the sticky Paul put up at the top of the section. People really need to grow up and stick to offering advice and it matters not how many posts a member makes, I just hope he doesn’t read that comment or he may be put off posting again
Not being rude LES but I don't see any advice in your post.---

You say yourself----Stick to offering advice.----( Practice what you preach ??? ) Your post simply helps to stir things up and honestly is no real help to the OP.

No offence intended, just my observation that's all.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote