Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th December 2018, 16:12   #21
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

The problem is that in relation to NOx and smoke, diesel is a much dirtier fuel than petrol. You only have to see what comes out the exhaust of one when its booted or just driven hard. CO2 is a relatively harmless gas (to those breathing it in on our roads and pavements at any rate), while NOx and particulates are highly toxic. The push to diesel was a mistake that the manufacturers grabbed hold of with glee, taking advantage of lax emissions testing and easy to manipulate emissions electronics that fooled the lax testing standards! JLR bought into the shift big style and without alternative power plants to fall back on, it's been stuffed more than most.The only answer of course, is a massive reduction in car use across the board and not just diesel engined cars either! Investment in local public transport outside the London bubble is what's desperately needed but unlikely to happen any time soon unfortunately! merry everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire GOC View Post
Looks like the impact of having a product line that is 90% diesel is beginning to bite as predicted.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...-a8687171.html
minty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2018, 16:13   #22
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Or the forum for up their own harrisses from Suffolk........get on your bike and ride

Bike - what's that?

One travels on horseback!

See, here I am on the magnificent stallion.

Last edited by MSS; 17th December 2018 at 18:02..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2018, 16:15   #23
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Political bias be damned, I hear enough of this tosh on the radio, and watch enough on the television thanks very much.

The top and bottom of it is simple, if you manufacture something whether that be cars or widgits that there is no market for, you will be doomed.

So as this is a car forum, can you keep the politics out of it please .

Brian
We might wish, but politics are in everything! You can scream and beg, nothing helps. The politicians need to make themselves important enough for you to pay them. If you believe that!

I can just say, I bought a S-type R.
So I support Jaguar, indirectly.
And, what a car!!!! I'm in love all over!
Old 17th December 2018, 16:28   #24
kaiser
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by minty2 View Post
The problem is that in relation to NOx and smoke, diesel is a much dirtier fuel than petrol. You only have to see what comes out the exhaust of one when its booted or just driven hard. CO2 is a relatively harmless gas (to those breathing it in on our roads and pavements at any rate), while NOx and particulates are highly toxic. The push to diesel was a mistake that the manufacturers grabbed hold of with glee, taking advantage of lax emissions testing and easy to manipulate emissions electronics that fooled the lax testing standards! JLR bought into the shift big style and without alternative power plants to fall back on, it's been stuffed more than most.The only answer of course, is a massive reduction in car use across the board and not just diesel engined cars either! Investment in local public transport outside the London bubble is what's desperately needed but unlikely to happen any time soon unfortunately! merry everyone!
Sorry Brian!!
But here is politics again. We have been told for the last 30 years, buy Diesel, buy Diesel, and economic incentives have been made to make people switch. And now??? driving bans, extra charges: drive Diesel and you are damned!!
Is it any surprise that the yellow vests are rebelling??
Modern day politics are made by people with very, very little understanding of what is going on. It is just another excuse to tax. Watch this global warming debate morph into extra taxes, while the politicians fly the sky thin, to attend all the climate debates supposed to beat us into submission.
Old 17th December 2018, 16:42   #25
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Political bias be damned, I hear enough of this tosh on the radio, and watch enough on the television thanks very much.

The top and bottom of it is simple, if you manufacture something whether that be cars or widgits that there is no market for, you will be doomed.

Brian

So you never buy any car parts from/manufactured somewhere other than the EU (and I include Britain in that at the moment - because I suspect there will be something from the EU in there) - However I agree with you entirely, a car forum should be about cars - but these are unusual times
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2018, 16:47   #26
kaiser
This is my second home

Unusual times.

You are so spot on!
People are loosing their minds "en masse"!
Old 17th December 2018, 17:52   #27
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:

Brian
When I said "they", I was referring to our "friends" in Europe and China! Our "Great" Britain is becoming a third world country and "they" are just rubbing our noses in it now. No more comments from me or I'll get banned!
Old 17th December 2018, 18:09   #28
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystabe View Post
And again ... She is an unpleasant blinkered woman, and if she has a 'vision' it's not the right one because it involves no compromises at a time in history when that is so important. I would go so far as to suggest that 90% of our 'elected representatives' (of all parties) are much the same.

I have a hi vis vest free then
I don’t think she is an unpleasant person - but I do think she is out of her depth by some margin.

When we need someone strong we get a weak person who wants people to think she is working hard.

What we really need is a negotiator - not a flaccid wimp

We are in the awful position we are because she is the party making all the compromises- the other side is pulling her strings like a puppet.

And I shall now back out of this thread as I have allowed myself to the drawn into a “no go” area

Apologies Mods - please delete this post if you think it appropriate.

Last edited by Darcydog; 17th December 2018 at 18:14..
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2018, 18:13   #29
Ched
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

Strange how there is no mention of the planned production in Sri lanka, or isnt anyone supposed to know that yet?
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2018, 05:31   #30
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:

Brian
In a free market this is totally correct of course - but do remember that politics came into it via tax incentives
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote