Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Events and Meets > Regional Events Forum: Northern Ireland & Éire
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th March 2015, 23:46   #1
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts
Default Collection for Collum 29th March 2015

For the last few years Callum has been struggling with health and had been previously diagnosed with cancer briefly which had turned around and with medical treatment been apparently resolved.

Sadly last week Danny informed me that Callum has been diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia.

For those who dont understand what that means (and I didnt until I looked into it) this is a cancer that starts from the early version of white blood cells called lymphocytes in the bone marrow (the soft inner part of the bones, where new blood cells are made). Leukaemia cells usually invade the blood fairly quickly.

They can then spread to other parts of the body, including the lymph nodes, liver, spleen, central nervous system (brain and spinal cord), and testicles (in males). The term “acute” means that the leukemia can progress quickly, and if not treated, would probably be fatal within a few months, for it to be confirmed as this illness the bone marrow needs to be a minimum 25% replaced by cancerous lymphocytes.

Those will notice I used the word acute, anyone with experience with cancer knows what that translates too and i'd rather not make that link yet with Callum as there's always a chance it might turn around.

Why am I appealing for help on the forum? Well let me show you this...

This was Danny's 2000 Rover 75 2.0 V6 Zircon silver Connie SE. In last few months the car had considerable work and upgrades, including a set of stocktake's upgraded VIS motors, MG ZT leather interior and 18 inch multispokes. I don't say it often but the car was in excellent condition.

I say "was" because tonight Danny informed me he sold the car at a shockingly desperate price because he needs money to cover upcoming costs that his son's treatments require. He had dropped the price to ANYTHING considered.

In Northern Ireland our children's wards arn't fantastic due to national cut backs, when it comes to cancer and leukaemia you usually have to have treatment in both NI and the mainland UK which usually exhibits significant costs, time traveling and emotions.

Starting Monday 16th Callum (and Danny) will be spending the next 6 weeks in Belfast hospital for targeted chest chemotherapy and then after a furthur 3 months over Bristol for Callum's furthur treatment. They live 50 miles away from the Belfast hospital in a small village called Portglenone, anyone who's been to NI will confirm our shockingly bad transport service (which was on strike again on friday) and lack of train / bus routes.

Danny has two other younger children which his wife is going to have to stay home and care with, which has as you can imagine put Danny in a situation that job and money are an absolute nightmare.

Im organising in NI on sunday the 29th of March a "day out for callum" where im currently working together on organising a large collection of MG and Rover car's where we can also do a collection for him rather than attending a car show we have attended for the last few years in the hope to raise money for the family.

Ideally i'd love to raise enough money to help him replace the car with a diesel 75 and also help him out with covering costs etc. If anyone at all would be willing to donate towards this I would be eternally grateful as Danny is an incredibly kind man, his wife is an emotional rock and poor Callum is handling it better than any 7 year old could possibly.

If you hadn't spied Danny Thomas sold his Rover 75 to help pay for costs for his son 7 year old son Callum's acute lymphoblastic leukaemia treatment relating to flights back and forth to NI from UK and also hotels etc.

Anyone with experience of cancer or leukaemia will know what the importance of the word "acute" means.

The plan instead on Sunday 29th March will be to have a lunch, meet and collection to help Danny and family out on the day, starting point will be the roundabout car park at Templepatrick at midday (allowing opportunity for those wanting to attend their morning church / worship etc before hand).

https://www.facebook.com/events/1537710373108876/

Departing at 12.30 heading to Dunsilly Hotel for Sunday family lunch (im going tomorrow to negotiate a rate for everyone but its already quite cheap and the food is excellent).

Departing Dunsilly at 2pm we will then head to Portglenone Forest for a few hours crack and banter in a wonderful family friend environment of the outdoors in a wonderful and scenic spot.

I can't think of a better way to help someone out along with having a relaxing day out all round.

Colin
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote