Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th April 2013, 11:22   #1
TR75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Default Love her or loathe her, but did she make it possible for us to have our cars today?

I know this is a contentious issue and by no means do I want it to start a heated debate.

However, I stumbled across this article which argues that we have Margaret Thatcher (a so called strong Rover supporter) to thank for the bailing out of British Leyland in the 1980s. Although, later down the line the government got fed up with lining the pockets of the fraught British car manufacturer, with BL later becoming the Rover Group and then MG Rover - have we not got Maggie to thank for our cars being in existence today?

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/indus...h-car-industry

Last edited by TR75; 19th April 2013 at 11:24..
TR75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 18:10   #2
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Funny, that. A largely complimentary view of her, factual rather than inherited rubbish, with over fifty visits on here, and not one reply? Now that's what I call a studied silence!
Old 19th April 2013, 20:29   #3
Banjo
Posted a thing or two

MG6 Magnette 1.8 Tci SE

Didn't the Conservatives insist that it was privatised into the hands of British Aerospace, who, as soon as they could rushed about the world trying to find a buyer ? When Honda stated that they wished to continue with a partnership, rather than buy Rover Group, the BA boys took the next flight to Munich. Arguably this meant that the 75 came into existence. But we could also say that it spelt the end of the company as a mass producer in all sectors of the market.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 20:33   #4
TR75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Funny, that. A largely complimentary view of her, factual rather than inherited rubbish, with over fifty visits on here, and not one reply? Now that's what I call a studied silence!
An interesting view and very true - the negative can often completely overshadow the positives that were achieved during this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
Didn't the Conservatives insist that it was privatised into the hands of British Aerospace, who, as soon as they could rushed about the world trying to find a buyer ? When Honda stated that they wished to continue with a partnership, rather than buy Rover Group, the BA boys took the next flight to Munich. Arguably this meant that the 75 came into existence. But we could also say that it spelt the end of the company as a mass producer in all sectors of the market.
In the end one could argue it may have been the privatisation that killed the company. Although if the Conservatives had not poured all that money into BL in the early 80s there would have been no marque to kill come the 2000s. Also, if they hadn't become privatised and taken over by BMW would they have had the funds and the free reign to produce the 75 and ZT? Ver unlikely!
Old 19th April 2013, 20:43   #5
Banjo
Posted a thing or two

MG6 Magnette 1.8 Tci SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR75 View Post
An interesting view and very true - the negative can often completely overshadow the positives that were achieved during this time.

In the end one could argue it may have been the privatisation that killed the company. Although if the Conservatives had not poured all that money into BL in the early 80s there would have been no marque to kill come the 2000s. Also, if they hadn't become privatised and taken over by BMW would they have had the funds and the free reign to produce the 75 and ZT?
You are right, had the co-operation with Honda continued it is unlikely that the 75 / ZT as we know it would have been buillt. I would have preferred that the Government had seen the value of a national car company, as the French did with Regie Renault. They continued to support the company, while de- nationalising it gradually. Who knows if it would have worked, but it has for Renault. The failure of many British companies has often been due to our obsession with short term results. Other countries, Germany in particular, take a long view. This critisism is not just aimed at Mrs Thatcher or her party, but to all of our governments, and not least the banks.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 20:44   #6
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

Finding reasons to thank thatcher for anything except liberating the Falklands is a hard task frankly.
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2013, 03:48   #7
Brigus
Loves to post

Rover 75 Club CDT Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYER View Post
Finding reasons to thank thatcher for anything except liberating the Falklands is a hard task frankly.
Completely agree with you.
Brigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2013, 08:59   #8
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

I can see this becoming another debate & there are bound to be people that disliked Margaret Thatcher.
I for one, think she was the best Prime Minister since Winston Churchill & we may never see that again.
She made a decision & that was final, no pussyfooting around like it is nowadays.
Unlike Mr Blair etc, she didn't kiss *****.
Whilst I don't agree with all her policies, I am grateful she did a lot for this country.
There seems to be lot mentioned about the negatives but there were many more positives when she was in power.
In answer to the OP's question.............yes, I thank her very much indeed !!

Last edited by Dragrad; 20th April 2013 at 10:14.. Reason: Contravention of Club Rules - FAQ Rule 2
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2013, 10:07   #9
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYER View Post
Would totally agree.
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2013, 11:19   #10
ianinfrance
Gets stuck in

Triumph TR7 2.0 dhc + ford ranger XLT+ VW Passat 2.5 V6 Tdi

Pluses and minuses it is true, I think that she was the last politician I have seen who wanted to make a difference, change something rather than see it as a job, career, nestegg whatever you like. I lost my job in the same year she came to power and had to retrain so no love lost but she broke the awful decline we were in and then sadly nearly broke the NHS as well!

Never get a balance do we?
ianinfrance is offline   Reply With Quote