Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th October 2018, 07:43   #1
YorksMG2013
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE & MG ZT 260

Default The future of the internal combustion engine

There's a lot of talk at the moment of agreeing a date when all new cars must be electric.
All the talk is of 'new' vehicles, but where does this leave older petrol vehicles?
I may not be still driving by 2040 (or whatever year) but what about the younger generation of car enthusiasts? (will Petrolheads be replaced by Voltfanatics?!)
Will any surviving MGs, Rovers (and other older classics) be banned from being used? Will petrol have run out, be so expensive or even it's sale outlawed?

What are folks views/understanding of any plans that political parties are floating?

Andrew
Now joined by the Blue Beast - MG ZT 260 #57 in Trophy Blue
YorksMG2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2018, 08:03   #2
phatfiesta75
Loves to post

rover 75 2.0 cdti connoisseur se

If what you've mentioned happened I'd be so gutted!!! 😟Frightening 😱🤯
phatfiesta75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2018, 08:41   #3
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I don't believe it will be much of a problem. Very, very few of our cars will survive until even 2030. So the move over to EV will be through natural replacement.

I suspect that there will be exceptions for the very small number of classic cars still capable of being driven in 2040.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2018, 09:09   #4
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Wat worries me the most is that very few people question this whole move. Global warming, or as they now call it "climate change" is just a new excuse for taxes, and a new way for governments to force us to finance their employment schemes.
The whole concept is based on questionable "science" and scientists that do not agree are branded "climate deniers" boxing them with Holocaust deniers.
It is worrisome that people are so badly educated, informed or indoctrinated that they do not question such antics.
Climate change has always been with us, and to separate the background noise from man made changes is the issue.
What is going on at the moment is pure idiocy. In Germany they will scrap almost new cars, to sell newer models. Somebody do the sums regarding the cost of this, and it can only make sense to an economist! One of those that claim that war is good, because it drives economic growth!
Old 19th October 2018, 09:53   #5
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Its the sale of new cars with petrol/diesel that will be banned. The fuel for them will continue to be sold as long as there is a demand.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2018, 10:52   #6
bazyerma
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
Wat worries me the most is that very few people question this whole move. Global warming, or as they now call it "climate change" is just a new excuse for taxes, and a new way for governments to force us to finance their employment schemes.
The whole concept is based on questionable "science" and scientists that do not agree are branded "climate deniers" boxing them with Holocaust deniers.
It is worrisome that people are so badly educated, informed or indoctrinated that they do not question such antics.
Climate change has always been with us, and to separate the background noise from man made changes is the issue.
What is going on at the moment is pure idiocy. In Germany they will scrap almost new cars, to sell newer models. Somebody do the sums regarding the cost of this, and it can only make sense to an economist! One of those that claim that war is good, because it drives economic growth!
The main people it will be good for is people who live in built up areas and next to busy roads, as it will improve air quality locally, surly that's a good thing?
bazyerma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2018, 10:58   #7
John Cooksley

Rover 75 Saloon

Where will all the electricity come from to charge all these electric cars - we will need three times the amount of electricity and where will that come from- windmills and solar panels??
John Cooksley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2018, 11:06   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazyerma View Post
The main people it will be good for is people who live in built up areas and next to busy roads, as it will improve air quality locally, surly that's a good thing?
it is but what is the best way to do it? I'm sure there will be a difference of opinion on best way.
By all means move to electric but has anyone made sure that we can supply enough electricity to charge these vehicles, there will be enough charging points and that the production and scrapping of electric vehicles is less polluting then todays current vehicles.

Petrol and diesel cars in due course will be scrapped via normal events, crash, wear and tear etc.

Not everyone will be able to afford to buy a new electric car and what will the second hand market be like for a 5 or more year old electric car.

Ban the sale of petrol and diesel for private use (as long as electric is as capable), but don't force people to buy them.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2018, 11:25   #9
bobb12005
Avid contributor

rover75

while the combustion engine is over a hundred years old and is quit polluting power stations create far more polluting and by adding several millions of electric how is that going to help. As for global warming how come the ice caps have moved so far south and north without any help from man whatsoever.
bobb12005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2018, 11:30   #10
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
………..The fuel for them will continue to be sold as long as there is a demand.
…….which might be for private petrol generators to charge up the batteries !