Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th October 2018, 14:56   #1
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Default No longer a 75 Owner

I must admit it was a bit sad to watch 'my' car disappearing round the corner driven by someone else Mind you it's better than seeing it disappear round the corner on the back of a scrapman's truck

Tim has got a deal, the leather and walnut etc are worth the price and he gets a 110k diesel engine with a 160 map and a perfect auto box for free.

Even though it was time to move on, I'm still a little sad
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2018, 15:59   #2
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

Dont be a stranger Ive not had a ZT for about 3 years now but still annoying people to death on here. I just love to see all the shiny cars and that wood!
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2018, 20:29   #3
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

I'll only stop driving my 75 when the Government ban diesels all together. What did you replace her with??
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2018, 13:22   #4
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Mazda 6 2.0 petrol on a 10 plate in disappointing grey. Looks a bit like a RX8 with middle age spread if you squint a bit in low light

It was only round the corner but I put off going to see it for ages because I was worried a 2.0 petrol would feel slow after 20 years of driving cars with turbo's. It has surprised me from day one though, things disappear rapidly in the rear view mirror if you're in the mood and it handles rather well. It's a Mondeo in a dress really but that's no bad thing, I like the interior - it's simple and it works but people who like wood and chrome needn't apply.

The best thing really is that it's easily as quick as my 160 map diesel Rover (when it worked properly) but does about the same mpg on the trips I do.

My heart had a twinge when someone else drove my 75 away but it was time
Old 20th October 2018, 07:06   #5
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

I have a 2006 Mazda 6 2.0 in the fleet (gen 1 not gen 2 like yours). It's the estate version and is wonderfully practical and dependable. The 2.0 petrol isn't a particularly good choice for a large load lugger as it thrives on revs rather than low down grunt (Ford used the same engine in the Fiesta ST) but with 150bhp she flies when wound up. Compared to the 75 it's incredibly agile and reliable but doesn't have the same sense of refinement or solidity. Your gen2 is an evolution of the gen1 so I would expect it to drive as well, just with more refinement.
Old 20th October 2018, 07:17   #6
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Good to hear some reviews about Mazda 6, I quite fancied one as a replacement for the zt-t when the time comes.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2018, 15:02   #7
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyRover View Post
I'll only stop driving my 75 when the Government ban diesels all together.
And even then I'll try and drop an electric engine in
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2018, 11:09   #8
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRich View Post
I have a 2006 Mazda 6 2.0 in the fleet (gen 1 not gen 2 like yours). It's the estate version and is wonderfully practical and dependable. The 2.0 petrol isn't a particularly good choice for a large load lugger as it thrives on revs rather than low down grunt (Ford used the same engine in the Fiesta ST) but with 150bhp she flies when wound up. Compared to the 75 it's incredibly agile and reliable but doesn't have the same sense of refinement or solidity. Your gen2 is an evolution of the gen1 so I would expect it to drive as well, just with more refinement.

I would say my Gen 2 feels as solid as a good 75, some of the switches in the cabin such as the heated seat ones are a bit 'cheap' looking (they feel reassuringly solid though) and the 'brushed aluminium' trim in mine isn't exactly convincing. The OE stereo is more than adequate with an in-dash 6 CD changer, bluetooth phone/streaming and an aux in socket. One of my favourite interior features however are the two levers just inside the boot hatch that lower the rear seats without having to open the rear doors. When they are down the load space is huge and made my father's Golf Estate look tiny in comparison this weekend.

It handles really well, the 6 speed gearbox is a joy to use with a very positive change/light clutch action and despite just 150bhp it never feels underpowered. It's also a bit different rather than just another Mondeo or Insignia etc - I'm very happy with it, and the absolute best thing is that Mrs mystabe is struggling to find anything to moan about
Old 22nd October 2018, 20:31   #9
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystabe View Post
I would say my Gen 2 feels as solid as a good 75, some of the switches in the cabin such as the heated seat ones are a bit 'cheap' looking (they feel reassuringly solid though) and the 'brushed aluminium' trim in mine isn't exactly convincing. The OE stereo is more than adequate with an in-dash 6 CD changer, bluetooth phone/streaming and an aux in socket. One of my favourite interior features however are the two levers just inside the boot hatch that lower the rear seats without having to open the rear doors. When they are down the load space is huge and made my father's Golf Estate look tiny in comparison this weekend.

It handles really well, the 6 speed gearbox is a joy to use with a very positive change/light clutch action and despite just 150bhp it never feels underpowered. It's also a bit different rather than just another Mondeo or Insignia etc - I'm very happy with it, and the absolute best thing is that Mrs mystabe is struggling to find anything to moan about
Glad you're enjoying the 6. The gen2 really moved things on and still looks fresh whereas the gen1 is starting to look old (even a facelift like mine).

I remember the rear seat lowering mechanism was a bit of an innovation on the Mazda 6 gen 1 when new - Mazda referred to it as the Karakuri system (or something similar). We are forever dropping the back seat in our 6 for B&Q runs and it's a wonderfully simple and useful feature.

Keep us updated with your progress. When the time comes to replace our 6, a gen 2 will most likely fit the bill.
Old 17th September 2019, 11:56   #10
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

I see things are no different round here My 2010 Mazda 6 with 135,000 miles on the clock just flew through it's MOT with no advisories after having been enjoyably hustled round various Shropshire/Welsh/Devon roads all year, every mile has been fun to be honest, and apart from fuel/insurance/road tax it has cost me just £120 in maintenance this year -still drives like a new car so wins all round!

Great stereo, decent handling, a hatchback boot that fit's more in than a 75 Tourer, haven't missed my 75 for a second tbh

I do missing winding up his lordship MGJohn though

Last edited by mystabe; 17th September 2019 at 12:12..