Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th October 2018, 22:30   #1
triple e
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon, Connoisseur CDT SE Automatic 4 Door

Default Front Indicators Failure

Back awhile one front indicator stopped working and I thought a bulb failure. When I checked it was the poor connection to the centre of the bulb which when abraded and the spring connector in the bulb holder sprung out a little resolved the problem.
Yesterday both front indicator bulbs stopped working at the same time which I thought coincidental for 2 bulb failures. When I checked both bulbs were OK and the previous connection issue wasn't apparent either. I'm now left with a suspicion that somewhere a failure in the electric system is causing this problem. All other indicator bulbs are working and I'm baffled. Has anyone any suggestions please?
triple e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2018, 07:22   #2
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Possibly faulty or corroded connections to the Light switch module(LSM) worth a check and also see if any moisture on the LSM.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2018, 08:15   #3
triple e
Regular poster

Thanks for that information as I'm at a loss. Can you please direct me to the Light Switch Modulator as again I'm not sure what it looks like or where it is located. Is it easily changed if it's faulty?
Seems like a distinct possibility.
Old 11th October 2018, 09:18   #4
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple e View Post
Thanks for that information as I'm at a loss. Can you please direct me to the Light Switch Modulator as again I'm not sure what it looks like or where it is located. Is it easily changed if it's faulty?
Seems like a distinct possibility.
It's what you use to turn the lights on & off, by your right knee, and no, you can't just replace it as it contains mileage info etc. So it needs configuring by T4 HTH's
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2018, 09:40   #5
triple e
Regular poster

Thanks for the information - now I know where to look I'll check. I'm now not sure the light switch would be the problem as the indicators work (when they do) irrespective of the light switch position so seems a different function to me.
Incidentally the side repeater lights still perform correctly.
Are there any other potential electrical failure areas I might investigate? Any advice will be much appreciated.
Old 11th October 2018, 09:45   #6
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Have a look at the wiring harness where it crosses over the frame rails both sides & under the fusebox, sometimes worn wires cause all sorts of issues

suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2018, 09:55   #7
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

I have had the exact same problem with my front indicators, it is a reoccurring problem for me, first one will stop working and then a couple of weeks later the other one will play up, having replaced the bulbs and cleaned the connections it cures it for a while, I have even run a smear of vaseline on the rubber seal on the unit to stop moisture getting in. Yesterday it started again after almost 3 months, it's definitely something going on in the indicator light(s) unit for me, I will just take them apart and clean everything again.
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2018, 10:03   #8
dbt01
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple e View Post
... irrespective of the light switch position so seems a different function to me...
Don't be fooled by that. A lot goes on in that black box at the back of that switch. Caused all my dash lights to stay permanently on when the car was all locked up for the night!

Having said that, I agree that bulb holder corrosion is the most likely, closely followed by the frayed wiring under the fusebox area as in the photo above.

David
dbt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2018, 10:04   #9
triple e
Regular poster

Thanks for advice from all - it's good to know I'm not the only one with an indicator light issue. Mine does seem odd in that it is both front indicators which stopped working at the same time.
When the rain stops here in Devon I'll have several points to check over. I'll report back if, or when I find the problem. Still any more thoughts/advice in the meantime will be welcomed
Old 12th October 2018, 12:38   #10
GRANDAD LES
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER CONTEMP

Could you retake this picture again, but not as zoomed in?

Leslie.
GRANDAD LES is offline   Reply With Quote