Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th April 2015, 14:09   #1
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default MOT Due next month

I've just done a pre-MOT, I've done a full adjustment on the handbrake, all working nicely now, it was up to four clicks again. The British Railways points grease is doing a grand job of protecting the brake pipes from the slight bit of surface corrosion, its still good and thick just as I applied it.

The only potentially dodgy item was one of the bushes, at one side of the car, the one where that L shaped alloy suspension bracket met the chassis at the rear of the front wheel arch. Not gone, but beginning to tear.

What's the current wisdom on this last item please?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2015, 15:11   #2
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

horrid job unless you have ramps.buy the best or oem ones to replace it with. or powerflex it and forget about them.one of mine has gone and a joint on the wishbone.my garage is doing it on monday.as pointed out on here and by my mechanic you will struggle to do the bush bolts on stands.for them on a four post lift not so bad
Old 24th April 2015, 17:53   #3
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I've just done a pre-MOT, I've done a full adjustment on the handbrake, all working nicely now, it was up to four clicks again. The British Railways points grease is doing a grand job of protecting the brake pipes from the slight bit of surface corrosion, its still good and thick just as I applied it.

The only potentially dodgy item was one of the bushes, at one side of the car, the one where that L shaped alloy suspension bracket met the chassis at the rear of the front wheel arch. Not gone, but beginning to tear.

What's the current wisdom on this last item please?

If you dont mind a slightly stiffer ride you might want to go with powerflex. They rotate so are much easier to get the bolts lined up when you put them back. If you want original style ones then the ones Matt sells are very chunky. I have powerflex on my manual, and they are pretty much fit and forget now, but on the auto i decided to give his a chance. They were a fair bit firmer and more rubber on them than the set that i took off, so reckon these should give good service.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2015, 10:59   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Are the Powerflex bushes sold as a pair by Powerflex? I'm not sure when it comes to it whether I would need to order 2 or just one as the pair, their site isn't clear on this point. The price £37 it seems could be for a pair, maybe.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 25th April 2015, 19:58   #5
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Are the Powerflex bushes sold as a pair by Powerflex? I'm not sure when it comes to it whether I would need to order 2 or just one as the pair, their site isn't clear on this point. The price £37 it seems could be for a pair, maybe.
From what i remember a pair costs about £70 so i would guess their site is the price for a single.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2015, 17:25   #6
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Rang my MOT garage this morning and asked for my 'tame' tester by name, to be told he no longer worked there. Panic set in, he has done all of my MOT's for 25 years and knows me, my cars and how well they are looked after. Then I engaged brain and realised he is a director, but the last few years he has mentioned he was getting fed up with it, maybe he has left/retired.

Delivery of the bushes due Wednesday, so I had intended asking him if he he could fit them whilst doing the MOT, but taken rather aback by the phone call. I would normally do them, but much easier with me helping with the use of a pit.

So I decided to go round and see what had happened to my tester. They were just having a laugh, he is still there, but working limited hours as he winds down to retirement, and its all booked in for MOT and bushes fitted during MOT. I was that relieved I made us both a cooked breakfast

Old 28th April 2015, 10:15   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Oh Dear...

The Ebay source from which I ordered the two bushes, has not bothered to email me to advise they were dispatched. I paid extra for 1st class, to give them a better chance to get here by there advised date of Wednesday. I did get an order confirmation, but they are generated automatically from Ebay.

Concerned at the lack of a dispatched email from them, I emailed them yesterday via Ebay to ask them if they had been dispatched. No reply from them and I read a few concerns that others are having similar problems contacting them.

A bit of research suggests they are into selling lots of unassociated nick nacks, so I then tried to find a phone number to ring them. The only phone number I was able to find for them - 01706 229555 was a discontinued one.

The company operates under various names, making me even more concerned - ybcars; WhyBee Ltd; Yates & Bloomfield Mechatech - a Mark Timothy Yates and a Robert Bloomfield, all from Rossendale Lancs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181674617719

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151599647910

None of it is conclusive yet, but a company which cannot be easily contacted makes me very suspicious of them and their products.

Has anyone got a valid phone number for this company please?

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 28th April 2015 at 10:27..
Old 28th April 2015, 10:46   #8
Freebyrd
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Rang my MOT garage this morning and asked for my 'tame' tester by name, to be told he no longer worked there. Panic set in, he has done all of my MOT's for 25 years and knows me, my cars and how well they are looked after. Then I engaged brain and realised he is a director, but the last few years he has mentioned he was getting fed up with it, maybe he has left/retired.

Delivery of the bushes due Wednesday, so I had intended asking him if he he could fit them whilst doing the MOT, but taken rather aback by the phone call. I would normally do them, but much easier with me helping with the use of a pit.

So I decided to go round and see what had happened to my tester. They were just having a laugh, he is still there, but working limited hours as he winds down to retirement, and its all booked in for MOT and bushes fitted during MOT. I was that relieved I made us both a cooked breakfast
And I thought MOT Testers were supposed to be impartial. How many rashers of bacon do you need for a pass? Does one rasher get you an advisory and soggy eggs a clear fail?.
Freebyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2015, 11:45   #9
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebyrd View Post
And I thought MOT Testers were supposed to be impartial. How many rashers of bacon do you need for a pass? Does one rasher get you an advisory and soggy eggs a clear fail?.
Oh I can assure you he is impartial as can be. He is just very honest and knows I keep my cars in top condition - a waste of time his checking it, or at least he knows not to bother looking for the obvious faults.

If he spots anything developing, not a fail, not an advisory, he gives me a bit of verbal advice. Can't be fairer than that

Old 28th April 2015, 11:58   #10
dadragon
Gets stuck in

Jaguar 3 litre sport. (Lee) Rover 75 Connoisseur T4'd (Roger) Rover 75 Connoisseur SE (Gaynor)

HarryM1BYT, sounds like my MOT tester, I use the same dude as well and we go back 20+ years, I have had a couple of his mates test mine when he's been on holiday and still flown through the MOT's, they do know (like yourself ) that I keep all the family cars in the best possible condition and any work that is done (always by me) will be done properly. As for the bush you mention a slight tear is not a fail, only a mention to get it done or at worst an advisory. I'm sure you'll be fine, best of British to you!!
Regards DaDragon (Roger)
dadragon is offline   Reply With Quote