Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th November 2014, 16:53   #21
spawn666
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

Hi guys, I am one of these people who are genuinely thinking about what to do with my car.

I purchased the car for £750 (only 8 weeks ago), I've already spent a further £400 on bits and sods and it's not a car I know and trust.

I am now possibly looking at a further £1000 for a clutch, dmf, master and slave cylinder. So if I have all of the work done, I would have spent £2150 on a 10 year old car with 125k miles.

What a lot of people haven't factored in here is what can people afford. If I had a £2150 to begin with, I would have purchased either a nicer MG ZT or something else. The fact is, I don't. I don't have a endless pot of money which I can throw at my car, I have a very limited amount of money.

I may even have to consider stripping the MG ZT-T and selling the parts separately and buying another car with the money left over.

Last edited by spawn666; 24th November 2014 at 17:33..
spawn666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 17:42   #22
maxi_crawf
Posted a thing or two

R75 Saloon Conn CDT SE, MG ZT190+

I've had my CDT (51) saloon since 06 and as I have said many times it's the best car I have ever had
If it was only down to £sd and economics I think most would have gone now to that great car park in the sky, but it's about more than that otherwise this forum would probably not exist, I recon I've probably this year spent more than the "book" value of the car but all the common problems with the 75 have over the years been sorted out.
the problem is that many are going for so little money now that people buy them for banger prices then expect to spend nothing on them and we know where that leads, if you had a Rolls and never spent any money on it it will eventually "fail to proceed"
maxi_crawf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 17:55   #23
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

I picked up a freelander today for free as it needs a few sensors and is about to run out of mot.

It's a 1.8 and the guy was told the engines die when it died driving 6 months ago and hasn't moved, no matter what I sat and explained to him he trusted his mechanic so the family decided to let it go as they had replaced it with a new 4x4.

I aim to sort it within the week all going well!
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 18:02   #24
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
I can't afford new or even newish cars these days. My last brand new car was 1997 a Skoda Felicia. Job problems since I closed my shop and have some health issues. So my budget is usually £500 max. Ok I was done earlier in the year with the auto and lost an arm and a leg. COA was virtually free but as I do 90% DIY its been cheap for me. The ZT at £330 was a bargain, its had a fair bit of work done, again as I'll be doing the work its only going to be the cost of materials.
Too many are scrapped, even fixable ones on here, both of mine could have suffered that fate, I was also gutted that the pig in a poke 05 auto was scrapped.
Old 24th November 2014, 18:08   #25
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

I think people don't repair costs but don't mind deprecation costs. Repair costs are another unknown, time spent in the garage *sigh* what is it now? How long till it's back? Etc.
Newer cars* give people more piece of mind that people are willing to pay for.

*No car is perfect, including new ones, but on balance you are less likely to have a fault.
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 18:18   #26
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
I have been reading a number of threads recently, where people decide not to get work done, based on the value of the car.

Like, for example, cambelts cost £500, but the car is only worth £500, so it is not worth getting it done.

I don't get what the value of the car has to do with it.
The bill would be the same, but if it was a £5000 car it would get done wouldn't it?
I think you have to take into account personal circumstances, I'm on a fixed pension which means it doesn't keep pace with inflation.
So if my Connie suffered a catastrophic failure I'd really have to weigh up the pro's and cons.
Do I spend £700 on repairs or sell the car for £200 salvage.
So the equation is £700 plus £200 salvage gives me £900 for a replacement, nowadays that could buy a 75 with recent belt change and FSH.
When I was working money was no object to repair/service a beloved car. Nowadays I have to think twice.

Last edited by alanjay; 24th November 2014 at 18:19.. Reason: spelling error on buy
alanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 18:28   #27
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

I have to say that if I only had £500 to spend on a car it would be a much simpler one than a Rover 75 - any £500 car unless you either come by it in unusual circumstances or are incredibly lucky is going to break something in the very near future
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 18:46   #28
hamster19
Gets stuck in

tourer conn CDTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidetops View Post
So what is the problem in spending £500 on a car that isn't worth much more than that? Its still better than losing £3,000 in depreciation (on top of servicing costs) on a new car isn't it?
Nail, head.
hamster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 19:43   #29
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

There is one reason that I think may be in the back of peoples minds when making a decision like this. That is what would the insurance pay out if it was written off or stolen soon after an expensive repair (relative to the book value). I think we all know the answer is, just the same as if it was written off before the repair.

Now factor in the odds of a crash/total loss. To me its still worth doing , up to a point. But quite where that point is I'm not sure.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 20:21   #30
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Of course it's possible if you have the time and don't mind/enjoy looking at lots of rubbish before you find a decent car - most people don't have the time or inclination (or knowledge come to that) to be fair
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote