Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Photography Corner
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th March 2008, 19:44   #1
ColinB
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer 1.8T Club SE

Default Macro close up lenses

Hi, anyone used these screw on lenses like on this link?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=013

If so, any good?
ColinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 19:53   #2
Simon
Banned

-

They change the minimum focussing distance of your lens but at that price I'd be wary about the optic quality. If you're used to high quality Canon lenses (as these are advertised for) then they may very well be detrimental to the performance of your lens (possible side effects could be loss of sharpness, chromatic aberrations, increased flare or combinations of all three).

Personally, if you have the money splash out on a dedicated macro lens if you want to explore the world of macro photography. Although it is pricey the Canon EF100mm Macro f/2.8 lens is fabulous. Not only can you use it for close-up macro work it also works very well as a medium-range portrait lens. The fast aperture rating makes it good for excellent out-of-focus background blur as well as low-light level shooting.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 20:03   #3
podge
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Tourer CDT CLUB SE Copper Red Mica Dec 01 ....now deceased....replaced by2003 Royal Blue T

I would be very wary of placing a non original lens on the front of a quality camera, the manufacturers take a lot of time/trouble with even their entry level lenses. If you are on a budget look for a good s/h supplier of quality gear, all my Nikon lenses are s/h as was the camera body.There are some really good s/h deals at the moment.Be careful of s/h on the internet auction site.I hope this helps...regards P.

B.M.Ws loss........OUR GAIN!!!!!!!!
http://knowledgerush.com/wiki_image/...arp.300pix.jpghttp://farm1.static.flickr.com/167/3...b847e1c5_m.jpg
podge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 20:09   #4
smcaul
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon CDT Club

If you are just going to try macro's and have a bit of a play then get a reverser ring from ebay, only a couple of quid and do the job quite well whilst not effecting the quality of the lens. You will have to manually focus and meter though!!

Something like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-Fit-52mm...QQcmdZViewItem
smcaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 21:23   #5
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

I actually bought a set of these, tried them once, and immediately ordered a proper Canon macro lens.

They were absolutely awful.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 21:58   #6
mantianak

ZT 190+ Saloon

I bought a set of those out of interest about a year ago. Sure, they're not the quality of a several hundred pound macro lens, £15 it isn't too bad for amateur play though. It also depends on the lens you put it on. To give an idea of quality, below is a photo I took with the screw on macro filter on a 52mm box standard olympus lens, from memory the beetle was 3cm long. Admittedly I haven’t used them again since as I have a better lens.

Don’t Hoya make close up filters? Wonder if they’re better than cheap ebay ones?
mantianak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2008, 22:14   #7
Simon
Banned

-

I would certainly expect the likes of Hoya and B+W to be better, but then they're 5 times the price of the eBay ones. Canon do one too (called the 500D Close-Up Lens). As said above, okay for amateur use but best invest in a dedicated macro lens if your serious about your photography. I personally would go for the full macro lens.

That said, at the price these are at on eBay you could easily buy them and trial your hand at macro photography. If you like it a lot and find yourself taking more and more photos then up the anti a bit and buy yourself a propper macro lens or if you don't the world of macro you haven't lost much by buying the eBay lens adapters.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 12:26   #8
The_Monk

-

If you have a canon capable of taking the Ef-s range then the EF-S 60mm Macro f2.8 is a nice bit of kit for the money. Its the equivalent of the 100mm f2.8 after the cropping factor.
The_Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2008, 18:08   #9
ColinB
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer 1.8T Club SE

Thanks for all the replies everyone. One day I will get a dedicated macro lens but at the moment funds are too tight.
I'll keep on wishing.
ColinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 15:24   #10
lightpainter
Posted a thing or two

2004 Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6 Conn SE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinB View Post
Thanks for all the replies everyone. One day I will get a dedicated macro lens but at the moment funds are too tight.
I'll keep on wishing.
Hi Colin, if you’re still wishing, have a look at these macros, Here all taken with a 30D and MPE – 65 Lens.

With this lens the DOF is so shallow he usually has to focus stack his shots!

But it’s something to aim for!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
lightpainter is offline   Reply With Quote