Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th May 2019, 12:57   #11
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks guys. Also, do you know how I can flush the heater matrix as well? I can't seem to locate the inlet and outlet pipes going through the firewall to it
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2019, 13:26   #12
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnail View Post
Thanks guys. Also, do you know how I can flush the heater matrix as well? I can't seem to locate the inlet and outlet pipes going through the firewall to it
Might help https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ghlight=matrix
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2019, 17:53   #13
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks suzublu, very helpful indeed! If I can't do it with the matrix still in place I'll do it like that. But, my question is now, when flushing the coolant through the block drain plug and through the lower radiator hose, isn't the matrix also gonna flush? Notice that my matrix isn't blocked at all now, I just wanna have the whole system flushed before installing a new thermostat. And even if the matrix won't flush when doing as described above, maybe inserting a garden hose in either the top or lower (?) hose of the radiator and forcing water through would do it? Any thoughts?
Old 5th May 2019, 18:59   #14
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
And even if the matrix won't flush when doing as described above, maybe inserting a garden hose in either the top or lower (?) hose of the radiator and forcing water through would do it? Any thoughts?
No, that won't flush the heater matrix. The only way is to disconnect the coolant hoses at some place (typically at the firewall) and jet through using a hosepipe.

According to your gauge needle, I'd say your engine is running in a 60-70C range. That's waaay too low. In effect, you don't have a thermostat at all.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2019, 19:27   #15
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

As far as I've looked, the only 2 hoses near eachother going inside through the firewall are right in the middle of the firewall, right under the intake manifold so there is clearly no place to attach hoses for the flush, am I right that these are the hoses going to the matrix? Also, I have a LHD with double side ATC, would I have 2 matrixes in this case? One on the right and one on the left, or only one located at the driver's side (left side) footwell?

EDIT: And TC, you're right, checked today and when driving with high speeds (which I rarely do), the coolant is at about 70 deg. C, that's why I'm changing the thermostat finally (also noticed today that the leak is indeed the thermostat, looked in the V of the engine and is full of coolant), but before doing so, as said, I want to do a full coolant flush to get a healthy and protected system afterwards.

Last edited by Rsnail; 5th May 2019 at 19:37..
Old 5th May 2019, 21:19   #16
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
- - - - am I right that these are the hoses going to the matrix?
Yes, one to and one from the heater matrix.

Quote:
Also, I have a LHD with double side ATC, would I have 2 matrixes in this case? One on the right and one on the left, or only one located at the driver's side (left side) footwell?
There's one heater matrix mounted centrally supplying heated air to the distribution system. This receives hot air from the matrix and ambient temperature air from outside (via the pollen filter). These are mixed and distributed according to how you've set up the system. With the aircon system running, you also have a chilled/sub-ambient air flow available.
Old 5th May 2019, 21:43   #17
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks T-Cut for making it all clear to me! Now for the coolant flush from the whole system, Haynes says draining it through the block drain plug and through the lower radiator hose, I'll be doing it more times until the system it's clean of course, but will this be enough to get the system clean? Maybe you know a better way to do it or some tips, for example read somewhere that you can leave either the block drain plug or the lower radiator hose open (can't remember which) with the engine running so the water runs through, meanwhile adding water to the reservoir at the same rate that the water runs out through the lower radiator hose or block drain plug, maybe you can shed some light on this issue too, if I'm doing it, I want to have it done the proper way.
Old 6th May 2019, 09:08   #18
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

I'm pretty sure the Haynes manual explains how to flush the cooling system. However you decide to do it, I'd advise against having the engine running during the flush. The cylinders must be completely submergeged in coolant when it's running to prevent creating dangerous hot spots. With coolant draining out and refilling from the header, and the likelyhood of air bubbles forming, you can't be sure that will be the case.
Old 13th May 2019, 19:27   #19
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Well last 2 weeks I noticed something strange, the coolant inside the reservoir was a little bubbly and looking in bad shape and like dirty since the system wasn't flushed and refilled for atleast since I owned the car, but now, went to check again to make sure the system has enough coolant, and noticed the mayo inside the reservoir, a lot of white "stains" and spots to see in the coolant inside the reservoir, which I've never had before, straight away checked the oil with the dipstick, it is correctly at level and not a single drop is contamined, neither white spots nor mayo on the dipstick and neither on the engine's oil cap. What could have caused this as I'm really freaked out right now... I know for sure now that the thermostat housing has packed up because the V is full with coolant, the thermostat arrived with a new housing and pipes, but my gut tells me that this isn't gonna fix the mayo issue and that this would be a "darker" problem...

Also, when replacing the intake manifold gaskets, haynes manual says cleaning the mating faces, what does this really involve and what would be the proper way of cleaning those?

Last edited by Rsnail; 13th May 2019 at 21:46..
Old 14th May 2019, 07:49   #20
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Also, when replacing the intake manifold gaskets, haynes manual says cleaning the mating faces, what does this really involve and what would be the proper way of cleaning those?
It just means wipe off any dirty residue so that you have a clean bright metal surface. If there's anything more than that, for example bits of gasket stuck on, come back to us for further advice. Do not use a sharp instrument.

Regarding the condition of your coolant, have you completed the planned flushing during the past two weeks? If so, how did you do it?

Simon