Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th January 2010, 14:36   #21
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

I managed to do mine on the floor.

I cut the lower clamp to allow the rear box to drop as far as possible. Large hacksaw through both rubbers to remove the top bracket.

Tiny drop of washing up liquid on each rubber and put them on the car first. Then the upper clamp to the rubber.

The tricky bit was lifting the silencer into place whilst fitting the lower clamp.

Took less then an hour in total.
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 19:51   #22
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

There most be an angle/knack to getting a hacksaw in there to get them off. Found it hugely frustrating to get access, even after dropping the exhaust down as far as possible. How long did it take you to cut through the rubbers? Luckily for me I can get access to a ramp so lifting up the back box isn't a problem it has an internal jack. Will have one more stab at it, if not I'll run it into a garage.

Last edited by topman; 16th January 2010 at 19:58..
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 20:14   #23
Departed
Retired

--

I found a good sharp craft knife (one of those with the long snapoff blade) got through the rubber.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 09:05   #24
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

two pairs of hands could be needed..and a lot of perseverance.

i have had a stainless steel rear box made,replica or the original with 2.5 cm's added to the tailpipes..eliminated the strap.

easy to fit with the pipe cut in the correct position.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 11:14   #25
gorrieman

MG ZT

Jeeze... Hit a pothole yesterday morning joining the motorway & 5mins later there was a lot of noise/vibration in the car at <2.5K revs.
Had a look & spotted the back-box hanging down so the jolt must have been enough to snap the rusty bottom strap.
Was hoping the noise was just the fact that the back box was reverberating a lot & not that it had snapped further up the exhaust.

Anyway, took it to a tyre & exhaust place locally this morning... they checked it out and showed me under the car. It looks like just the lower strap, I can't see any other damage & neither could they (so I guess it was just vibration noise after all).
Typical speedy fit place though... "can't get a strap on it's own, comes with the back-box only".... "Your back box is pretty rusty anyway sir so could do with replacing, look I reckon I could put my finger through that"... "oh, and the system is an all in one, so we'd need to be looking at replacing that mid-section as well... £300 !!!"
Told them to take it off the ramp & I'd be on my way thanks very much.

So.. Looks like it's about £50 worth of parts to replace the rubbers along with top & bottom strap... plus some hassle (considering I'd just be jacking it on the driveway which has about 4" of snow at present).

I've called the local Powerflow dealer who said they can weld in a new back-box & make some new brackets up for £150+VAT. Booked in for Wednesday
Yeah, it's about £100 more than just doing the brackets on their own & the current back box is probably fine since it's double skinned... but this way I get around the hassle factor of battling to get the old ones out with the exhaust in situ, get a shiney new stainless back-box with lifetime guarantee & get rid of those rubbish straps at the same time... just got to work out what tailpipes I want now !!

Andy.
gorrieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 21:56   #26
Kedaha
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Gents, I see a couple of other people have asked the same question: What type replacement bolts are needed to bolt the two straps together?
Kedaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 01:32   #27
Wilsy
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190

Same thing happened to mine....It is a pig of a job to do..To be honest I replaced the back box.

Paul.
Membership No:000226
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wilsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 20:06   #28
rizel23
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190 SE Dark Fantasy

to top my fab day off i have just noticed my exhaust is hanging down also, looks like the bottem bracket part has rusted and snapped!

Would some strong wire be enough for a temporary hold as my back box is pretty rusty so might as well have a long life one fitted for £150 rather than a bracket at £40 plus labour

Last edited by rizel23; 8th January 2012 at 20:13..
rizel23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 08:47   #29
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Mine broke last year, very expensive at Rimmer's and also delay to obtain, went to B&Q bought 30 metres of stainless slotted strap for £10.00, as broken quite easy to remove, replaced top and bottom with a new one made from the strap, replaced with suitable bolts not original, and job done same day for pennies. Discarded when back box later replaced as new box had built in hangers, still using original rubber do-nut hangers.
Chips
chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 14:25   #30
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

As Chips said , don't get too paranoid about the strap
Aftermarket back boxes (sold separate so you don't have to replace the whole system ) come with hangers welded on , so they won't need the strap anyway.