Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th March 2023, 20:11   #1
biffa75
Trader

Mk1 2004 tourer cdti + MK1 2003 Saloon CDT

Default Wiper stalk slow constant is fast

As the title really. Recently purchased a tourer for the wife as her saloon has terminal rust.. the new to us tourer isn't without its issues one of which is the wiper speeds.

Slow constant speed is fast. Intermittent is slow and everything else is fine too. I'm aware the previous owner did make some repair due to the wipers being on constant (chaffed wiring on bulkhead) apparently.

Using toaf I can activate the "first gear wiper" and all is fine but using the stalk in the car and it's still fast so.. obviously I need to check the wiring but does anyone else have any pointers?

Thanks
Rob
biffa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2023, 05:54   #2
biffa75
Trader

Here's what toad displays

Ignore the alarm mislock etc

Main ones for me at the moment are

90 - horn/headlamp wash output error count 113 - static error

8D - front wiper speed output
Static error

I do have an interior fusebox relay removed at the moment. There's currently only one relay fitted in the fusebox R2.

This other relay I have was removed by the previous owner due to the alarm sounding.

Doesn't have xenon's so can rule that relay number out..

Any ideas where this relay should be?
Cdti manual facelift no under bonnet fuel pump
No rain sensor either.

Thanks in advance
RobIMG_20230318_130234.jpgScreenshot_20230320_064244.jpg

Sent from my VNE-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 21st March 2023, 00:22   #3
biffa75
Trader

So... Tried a known working wiper stalk.. still fast

Checked wiring where I could, near washer bottle had been repaired but was tidied up and still the same..

I'm starting to wonder if its a bcu issue however as. Locking the car and unlocking it the hazards flash as if it had been triggered. Unlocking the car will stop the hazards for a few seconds before they begin to flash again..

It's also showing up alarm mislock. Inertia switch, replaced the bonnet switch and it's plugs on the loom as this was also corroded and the problem persists. All other doors etc locked and checked and still have the alarm mislock and fast wipers.and the alarm that chirps when locking, wipers that operate fast on the slow setting.

Anyone have any advice ?

Thanks
Rob
Old 21st March 2023, 06:55   #4
Matt_75
Gets stuck in

75 Saloon

Have you checked all the fuses?

2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 (BRG)
1999 Rover 75 Club 2.5 (Dorchester Red)
1973 Triumph Dolomite (Honeysuckle)
Matt_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2023, 06:58   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffa75 View Post
I'm starting to wonder if its a bcu issue ...
I think that you're probably on the right lines there Rob as it controls the alarm and wiper system, but rather than thinking BCU, start with a K-bus fault.

Simon
Old 21st March 2023, 08:55   #6
biffa75
Trader

Thank you greatly for the replies,

I have checked all the fuses and can confirm they are okay.

I refitted the relay the previous owner removed (R4) xenon headlight wash as I found this also powers the alarm system wether it has battery backup type alarm or standard alarm. So.... Relay fitted, and now have an alarm, however the "alarm mislock" as pictured earlier in this thread, is continuing so.. having tried the bonnet inertia switch Including cutting off the plug from the look and replacing it with a good one etc.. I still have it chirping when locking so... It still thinks something is open but... No door or bonnet or bolt open is showing on the clocks.

As for the wipers, we checked all the wiring and found the drivers side inner sill area and cleaned the earth's there and still the same. Fast wipe issue.

Going to try a few things today.

Thanks
Rob
Old 21st March 2023, 09:30   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Thank you greatly for the replies,

I have checked all the fuses and can confirm they are okay.

I refitted the relay the previous owner removed (R4) xenon headlight wash as I found this also powers the alarm system wether it has battery backup type alarm or standard alarm. So.... Relay fitted, and now have an alarm, however the "alarm mislock" as pictured earlier in this thread, is continuing so.. having tried the bonnet inertia switch Including cutting off the plug from the look and replacing it with a good one etc.. I still have it chirping when locking so... It still thinks something is open but... No door or bonnet or bolt open is showing on the clocks.

As for the wipers, we checked all the wiring and found the drivers side inner sill area and cleaned the earth's there and still the same. Fast wipe issue.

Going to try a few things today.

Thanks

Rob
Can t find the alarm thread,but if you haven't already, and you have the bbus alarm, remove it and check inside for corrosion. Replace with a BMW version for about 10-15 quid on ebay.

The bbus ones are prone to water ingress.

sent from my iToilet Pro 3□

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2023, 17:42   #8
biffa75
Trader

Thanks CLF I'll give that a go. I have noted road showing "inertia switch" in a list so.. thinking this could be it saying a door is open or something (even though theres no message saying a door or anything is open?) But I'll swap it anyway at this stage..

In response to the wiper issue... After spending a fair amount of time today, removing carpet, checking the k bus header, removing both interior and engine bay fuse boxes, pulling every fuse, relay, wiring plug on the backside etc to find any issues... I removed the bcu and what did I find... A scotch lock! Connecting two wires together. A thin orage with green stripe wire (also found at the wiper stalk end) and a blue with green strip wire. So with the scrote lock removed the wipers have now gone back to having a slow constant BUT we now have a slow constant which should be fast and no rear wiper now either.. have wash at the rear but no wipe...
Old 22nd March 2023, 07:11   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
A scotch lock! Connecting two wires together. A thin orange with green stripe wire (also found at the wiper stalk end) and a blue with green strip wire.
Blue with green tracer (UG) runs between the BCU and the coil of wiper relay 2 (controlling slow or fast speed). * Check that this is in place Rob as if it's not connected you won't get fast speed.

Blue with light green tracer (ULG) is the fast speed supply from wiper relay 2 to the wiper motor.

Orange with green tracer (OG) is the supply to the rear wiper motor from the rear wiper relay contacts.
I can't find any record on the wiring diagram of OG being at the wiper stalk switch. Which pin is it on?

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 22nd March 2023 at 07:37.. Reason: Updating
SD1too is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2023, 09:28   #10
Matt_75
Gets stuck in

75 Saloon

Electrical diagrams if you need them are in one of the PDFs here: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...87&postcount=8

2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 (BRG)
1999 Rover 75 Club 2.5 (Dorchester Red)
1973 Triumph Dolomite (Honeysuckle)
Matt_75 is offline   Reply With Quote