Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th December 2015, 08:59   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Help to remove Diesel fuel cooler

I am after some advice please about how to remove the fuel cooler rad at the rear of a CDT.

I can see one large bolt going up into the chassis that holds a bracket, this I can undo. There is an earth wire running from the bracket to the cooler. What size spanner fits the small bolt that holds the earth wire onto the bracket? I've tried all sizes but none fit. Is the nut for this bolt welded to the bracket or does both nut and bolt come away? I am reluctant to try and remove the Allan bolt on the fuel cooler rad to release the earth wire in case it snaps.

On the bracket looks to be a larger rubber or plastic fitting, how does this come off?

thank you

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2015, 18:15   #2
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I am after some advice please about how to remove the fuel cooler rad at the rear of a CDT.

I can see one large bolt going up into the chassis that holds a bracket, this I can undo. There is an earth wire running from the bracket to the cooler. What size spanner fits the small bolt that holds the earth wire onto the bracket? I've tried all sizes but none fit. Is the nut for this bolt welded to the bracket or does both nut and bolt come away? I am reluctant to try and remove the Allan bolt on the fuel cooler rad to release the earth wire in case it snaps.

On the bracket looks to be a larger rubber or plastic fitting, how does this come off?

thank you

macafee2
You need to undo the 2 bolts that hold it up to the chassis then The whole lot drops down. You just need to disconnect 2 fuel hoses which should be obvious once you have it dropped.

Prepare a washing up bowl to collect the cooler full of fuel that will come out once the hoses are off.

The earth wire is connected from the thermostat, to the radiator, so also all comes off together, and once you have proper access to it on a bench you will be able to get the bolt out that holds it in.

Quote:

thank you

macafee2
My earth wire goes to the thermostat mount bracket. I made a new one and used new stainless bolts which is what i would advise you to do, so the original will very likely disintegrate through rust.

image.jpg

image.jpgDont know if these pics help

image.jpg

Out of interest why are you trying to remove it?

Forgot to mention the plastic fitting is a thermostat valve that directs hot fuel through the cooler and cool fuel direct back to the tank, and it comes off when you remove the 2 through bolts that hold it to its bracket. They will very likely rust away when you try, so have some replacements handy

Last edited by Dragrad; 15th December 2015 at 20:43.. Reason: Consecutive posts - use the edit or Multi-quote :-)
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2015, 20:34   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawrence View Post
Attachment 55184

Out of interest why are you trying to remove it?

Forgot to mention the plastic fitting is a thermostat valve that directs hot fuel through the cooler and cool fuel direct back to the tank, and it comes off when you remove the 2 through bolts that hold it to its bracket. They will very likely rust away when you try, so have some replacements handy
I think the metal bracket shown in the picture that David has kindly posted is rusting and I want to treat it. I was brave enough to try the allan bolt holding the earth wire to the cooler and it came undone. I still cant work out what bolts are at right angles to the two going into the chassis, one of which I have undone. the picture is helpful as undoing the one bolt should bring down the bracket but the two bolts holding the plastic bit..... cant undo them, I cant work out what heads they have on them.

I don't really any to remove any hoses

macafee2

Quote:
You need to undo the 2 bolts that hold it up to the chassis then The whole lot drops down. You just need to disconnect 2 fuel hoses which should be obvious once you have it dropped.

Prepare a washing up bowl to collect the cooler full of fuel that will come out once the hoses are off.

The earth wire is connected from the thermostat, to the radiator, so also all comes off together, and once you have proper access to it on a bench you will be able to get the bolt out that holds it in.

I may end up having to remove the hole thing at this rate and I don't want to at the moment. thank you for the advice

macafee2

Last edited by Dragrad; 15th December 2015 at 20:43.. Reason: Consecutive posts - use the edit or Multi-quote :-)
Old 16th December 2015, 03:26   #4
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

You might find this thread useful in fabricating a new bracket.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...ucS9FzOeKyuNDw

Hopefully youve got to yours before the rust distorts the thermostat and makes it leak.

Post 35 onwards you start to get some dimensions.
Old 16th December 2015, 09:23   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
You might find this thread useful in fabricating a new bracket.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...ucS9FzOeKyuNDw

Hopefully youve got to yours before the rust distorts the thermostat and makes it leak.

Post 35 onwards you start to get some dimensions.

So far I don't think its leaking, just rusting. I say just rusting, rust can be a killer.
Thanks for the link I have bookmarked it
did you ever make the brackets?

macafee2
Old 16th December 2015, 15:48   #6
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
So far I don't think its leaking, just rusting. I say just rusting, rust can be a killer.
Thanks for the link I have bookmarked it
did you ever make the brackets?

macafee2
I only needed one and that was the one in the link. I dont believe there was much demand to produce them in bulk professionally. Dont think it went any further than the drawing board