Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th December 2015, 21:44   #1
fraz59
Loves to post

MG-ZT

Default headlight self leveling

Ok not sure of this one....should they always when switched on, go through the little dance they are meant to do?

I can get them to do it if I switch the lights on JUST with the ignition on but engine not running, they will then go down then up ...but once the engine is running then nothing. I always presumed that this was simply because they are at the correct level..but they never seem to do it no matter where I am parked and start the engine
fraz59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2015, 22:16   #2
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraz59 View Post
Ok not sure of this one....should they always when switched on, go through the little dance they are meant to do?

I can get them to do it if I switch the lights on JUST with the ignition on but engine not running, they will then go down then up ...but once the engine is running then nothing. I always presumed that this was simply because they are at the correct level..but they never seem to do it no matter where I am parked and start the engine
Do you have self leveling (only one thumbwheel on the lsm)
Old 15th December 2015, 18:17   #3
fraz59
Loves to post

MG-ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy-dials.com View Post
Do you have self leveling (only one thumbwheel on the lsm)

yes I do have them...hence the question, and as I said they will do the down then up movement with just the ignition on and then turning the lights on ...but do not seem to do it if the engine is started
Old 15th December 2015, 18:23   #4
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Quote:
yes I do have them...hence the question, and as I said they will do the down then up movement with just the ignition on and then turning the lights on ...but do not seem to do it if the engine is started
That us normal then, mine only do it with the lights first switched on
Old 15th December 2015, 18:49   #5
freck
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Connie Tourer

I think I know what you mean here Fraser, are you saying that if you turn the ignition on then turn the lights on before starting the engine then they do the upy downy thing.
However if you then turn the lights off and start the engine then turn them back on they don't do it? Have I got this right?
If you turn the ignition on, then start the engine and then switch on the lights do they do the upy downy thing again?

I'm wondering if the lighting control unit has a timer which inhibits a calibration cycle for a while once it's completed the first cycle.

Mods planned - Cruise retrofit - Done, ZT front bumper - Done, 160 remap - Done...and probably one or two more

This vehicle was the 15,751st 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
This vehicle was the 3,726th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur to be made out of 4,100
This vehicle was the 732nd 75 Tourer in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 4,100 Starlight Silver 75 Tourers
freck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2015, 19:32   #6
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by freck View Post
I think I know what you mean here Fraser, are you saying that if you turn the ignition on then turn the lights on before starting the engine then they do the upy downy thing.
However if you then turn the lights off and start the engine then turn them back on they don't do it? Have I got this right?
If you turn the ignition on, then start the engine and then switch on the lights do they do the upy downy thing again?

I'm wondering if the lighting control unit has a timer which inhibits a calibration cycle for a while once it's completed the first cycle.
They only do it once per lsm power up..... if you switch off all the way and restart they will do it again
Old 15th December 2015, 19:44   #7
freck
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy-dials.com View Post
They only do it once per lsm power up..... if you switch off all the way and restart they will do it again
That's what I was trying to ascertain from Fraser. I got the impression from his first post that the lsm was not doing the cycle at all if the engine was running, so just trying to confirm whether this is what he meant.

Mods planned - Cruise retrofit - Done, ZT front bumper - Done, 160 remap - Done...and probably one or two more

This vehicle was the 15,751st 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
This vehicle was the 732nd 75 Tourer in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 4,100 Starlight Silver 75 Tourers
Old 15th December 2015, 20:50   #8
fraz59
Loves to post

MG-ZT

sorry maybe not making it very clear ...try harder (got that on my report card a lot]

go out to car ...start engine turn lights on ...nothing no wee up down of lights when switched on

however if I switch engine off and turn lights off ...turn just to ignition lights only .. and then turn on lights they do what they are meant to do

does not matter how many times I do this it is always the same ...or where the car is parked ..my drive is slightly down at the nose of the car....if I reverse so the rear wheels are slight lower than the front [as rear wheels on road fronts on my drive, so a very slight drop of the rear ..still nothing

I would have expected them to do the wee dance at every switch on regardless of the engine on or not

just funny how they work just with the ignition on ..but don't with the engine running
Old 15th December 2015, 21:20   #9
freck
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
sorry maybe not making it very clear ...try harder (got that on my report card a lot]

go out to car ...start engine turn lights on ...nothing no wee up down of lights when switched on

however if I switch engine off and turn lights off ...turn just to ignition lights only .. and then turn on lights they do what they are meant to do

does not matter how many times I do this it is always the same ...or where the car is parked ..my drive is slightly down at the nose of the car....if I reverse so the rear wheels are slight lower than the front [as rear wheels on road fronts on my drive, so a very slight drop of the rear ..still nothing

I would have expected them to do the wee dance at every switch on regardless of the engine on or not

just funny how they work just with the ignition on ..but don't with the engine running
Yes I thought that's what you meant, very odd I would, as you, expect them to calibrate whether the engine was running or not.
The angle of your car will have no bearing on it as this will just determine the beam height, the calibration cycle should still happen and then settle to the height determined by the front and rear sensor inputs.

Old 15th December 2015, 21:36   #10
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

That will only do it in pos ii, not pos I on the key...
Pos I will give you sidelights only, only with pos ii you get dipped beam and the motor test...