Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th December 2015, 03:51   #1
Mangizmo
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Default OK new tourer almost perfect, minor clutch judder....live with it?

I bought a 2005 diesel tourer, it was good to start with but I have tweaked it and messed with it over the past couple of months and now it is totally creak, rattle free, upgraded ICE, 2 keys,upgraded bulbs, new number plate DRLs etc etc, its great
I also have a 2000 plate saloon with a perfect new clutch, the new car has (I imagine) the original clutch which works fine, its not too heavy or high, but it does judder a bit especially on hills
Its an expensive job, replace it or live with it?, I guess what I am asking is whats the chances of clutch failure?, ideally I would like to leave it for 12 months or so, but will probably do another 20,000 miles by then, will it be OK, what causes the judder?
Mangizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 11:41   #2
Ste.Sales
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

I had clutch judder on my car for the last couple of months...this monday it failed completely. I think the slave cylinder has failed... And the judder was contamination from the slave. Not 100% yet as Andy willi is coming out to fix on saturday. He is the man you need to speak too!
Ste.Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 11:48   #3
freck
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Connie Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste.Sales View Post
I had clutch judder on my car for the last couple of months...this monday it failed completely. I think the slave cylinder has failed... And the judder was contamination from the slave. Not 100% yet as Andy willi is coming out to fix on saturday. He is the man you need to speak too!
Hi Stephen, that's good to know that Andy will come to our neck of the woods. Let us know how you get on please.
I've had a little problem with my clutch just yesterday, the pedal seemed to be low and I had trouble engaging gear but a couple of pumps and it seemed fine again. Probably indicative of imminent failure.

Mods planned - Cruise retrofit - Done, ZT front bumper - Done, 160 remap - Done...and probably one or two more

This vehicle was the 15,751st 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
This vehicle was the 3,726th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur to be made out of 4,100
This vehicle was the 732nd 75 Tourer in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 4,100 Starlight Silver 75 Tourers
freck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 14:02   #4
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangizmo View Post
............ the original clutch which works fine, its not too heavy or high, but it does judder a bit especially on hills
Its an expensive job, replace it or live with it?, I guess what I am asking is whats the chances of clutch failure?, ideally I would like to leave it for 12 months or so, but will probably do another 20,000 miles by then, will it be OK, what causes the judder?
If everything else seems okay, and you are getting juddering when pulling away, it is worth checking the lower engine mount.
They cause this when they are worn.

My one was causing juddering, especially on hills.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 14:55   #5
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
If everything else seems okay, and you are getting juddering when pulling away, it is worth checking the lower engine mount.

second that. 10 minutes to remove and check the lower engine mount and it could save you £hundreds. No use trying to check it while it's still on the vehicle though. Take it off and test it with a bar through the large end.
jonathan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 14:59   #6
roverretro

Rover 75 saloon

I have 2004 75 good nick has slight judder will check out lower engine mount also my pedal went to floor so I had a metal master fitted instead of the rubbish plastic one rover fit again it when to floor so I think its the slave which is also plastic but will be fitting a metal one .the pedal has gone to the floor every 300 miles.I cant afford a clutch just yet so I have a oil pump full of brake fluid I fitted a fish tank air line to the bleed nut which sits out side the gear box so if it fails I loosen the master cap and loosen bleed nut and then connect the pump to air line which I leave on all the time and pump the pedal back up ten min job and get another 300 or so again asking santa for full clutch but not building my hopes lol have good xmas cheers chris
roverretro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 16:40   #7
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverretro View Post
I have 2004 75 good nick has slight judder will check out lower engine mount also my pedal went to floor so I had a metal master fitted instead of the rubbish plastic one rover fit again it when to floor so I think its the slave which is also plastic but will be fitting a metal one .the pedal has gone to the floor every 300 miles.I cant afford a clutch just yet so I have a oil pump full of brake fluid I fitted a fish tank air line to the bleed nut which sits out side the gear box so if it fails I loosen the master cap and loosen bleed nut and then connect the pump to air line which I leave on all the time and pump the pedal back up ten min job and get another 300 or so again asking santa for full clutch but not building my hopes lol have good xmas cheers chris
Hi,i have had the same one :

pedal to floor ,master replaced by the Tazu . since ,i must bleed every 200
or so .no significant fluid loss but a micro air entry ...around the Tazu ???

Mike
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 19:20   #8
andy willi
I really should get out more.......

PRE LAUNCH 75/ZT 190/XJ 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by freck View Post
Hi Stephen, that's good to know that Andy will come to our neck of the woods. Let us know how you get on please.
I've had a little problem with my clutch just yesterday, the pedal seemed to be low and I had trouble engaging gear but a couple of pumps and it seemed fine again. Probably indicative of imminent failure.
call in on saturday i will look at it for you

andy
andy willi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 20:39   #9
Mangizmo
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
Great tip, I will check them out as soon as I can, all else seems ok so it could be the mounts as you say
Mangizmo is offline   Reply With Quote