Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd April 2024, 19:38   #1
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Default The Wiper Arm spring made a run for it today

Hi
5.30 this morning I got into the car ready for work, started the engine and flicked the wipers on, only to hear a strange thud on the roof.I got out to see what it was but there was nothing obvious to explain it and just put down to a bird dropping something on it.
A couple of miles later I flicked the wipers on again and was met by a horrendous juddering drivers wiper blade.When I got to work I soon discovered the problem. The spring had broken free from the open chain link resulting in it flying off into the air and hitting the roof of the car.Luckily I found it resting on the scuttle panel but there was no sign of the open chain link that it connected to.
No problem I thought I will just get another open chain link and connect it all up.As most cars seem to have the same set up I thought it be as easy as popping to the motor factors and get one.
Not a chance in hell.
Every enquiry I made I was met with the same answer "it's a new wiper arm mate"
The local scrap yard closed down a few months back so I couldn't even get one from there.
I hate the thought of replacing a complete wiper arm for the sake of an open link, but I needed to get it sorted fast as it's well known that here in Wales it gets a little damp.
In the end I begrudgingly decided it's going to have to be a new wiper arm.
Well phoned everywhere to no joy.There like hens teeth or rocking horse muck.
So tonight it was plan C (fix the broken one)
As luck had it I found the link on pathway when I got back home.I whipped the wiper arm off to discover the pin that holds the chain link had snapped in half.
Hmmm time for a bit of thinking out of box bodgery was needed from my overworked brain cell (yep just the one).I drilled out what was left of the broken pin and then found a bolt that would fit.I hacksawed the bolt into a threaded bar and pushed it through the wiper arm making sure I spun two nuts into the void.Tightened them outwardly so they locked the small threaded bar in place.
Now came the difficult bit.It took an hour to get the spring back on.Blimey it was hard going fight, it i but eventually it beat it into submission.
The only place I recalled seeing a wiper arms for sale today was Rimmer Bros for an eye watering price of 60 odd pounds,!!!
I wasn't going to pay that when I could fix it myself for a price of a bolt and two nuts.It beggars to belief why we live in such a throw away society when things can be repaired instead of replaced

Last edited by johnnyb44; 2nd April 2024 at 19:46.. Reason: .
johnnyb44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2024, 20:18   #2
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Well done for fixing yourself. That’s the way of the world these days, we live in such a throw away society. Once upon a time we could take things to a repair shops and get them fixed but those shops have long gone.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 2nd April 2024 at 20:18.. Reason: Found the missing words under the doormat
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2024, 20:27   #3
Rover 75 Tourer
Avid contributor

Rover 75 tourers(4)400turs(3

Default wiper arm repair

When my wiper arm spring' pin holding it breaks I drill out broken bits and replace it with a suitable size roll pin. Still have a fight to get it back together
Rover 75 Tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2024, 20:54   #4
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Indeed , those springs put up a fair old fight when you try to get them up hooked up again