Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th August 2021, 18:47   #11
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TourerSteve View Post
Servicing potentially could have picked this up with his test equipment but would say that a more in depth test will be carried out on the external lighting as a legal requirement
Is it possible that someone has actually changed out the 13 pin plug at some time .
As it stands you have belt and braces with running PINS 9 & 10 through a switched live which will protect your car battery while connected up

I would think you could probably sort the problem out by following the following steps

1, Energise interior lights with caravan battery .
2, Connect caravan to car (needs permanant live to do this )
3, If caravan lights go out (Relay energised) swap PIn9 to PIN10
4, If caravan lights stay on , switch ignition on to energise relay ,
5, If lights go out that means PIN10 correct
6, Once above correct disconnect caravan from car

To check PIN 9 permanent Live

7, Disconnect caravan battery ensuring both terminals are air gapped
8, Connect caravan to car Car should now power caravan lights etc without caravan battery
9, If not , switch ignition on , if lights work ,that would indicate the caravan is getting power from PIN10 .(This should not happen)
10, Disconnect car from van and reconnect caravan battery

step 8 should be your last step . unless some wiring is adrift in the caravan and would mean testing further .
Hope this makes sense . I'm interested to see what you find but all of the above can be done from the 13 pin plug
The last lunar I owned I actually swapped the 12s and 12n plugs to a 13 pin plug to suit the electrics on my car with no issues
I will feed back what I find. I found the Lunar caravan wiring diagram but now need to find the magnifying glasses as its far to small to read.
Your post is very helpful thank you.
At the moment I cant get car and caravan together as there is stuff in the way but it can all be moved.

thanks again really appreciate your posts on this one

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2021, 11:28   #12
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

I am a bit bamboozled.

With car and caravan connected and ignition off, caravan lights stayed on.

Started engine and after a while caravan lights went off

Stopped engine and after a while the caravan lights came back on

The orange which should be pin 9 seems permanent live, the red/white which should be pin 10 seems to be "ignition" live. This is as per my table but the colours I mention are not Lunar colours but those of my 12 core cable.

I need to check the 13 pin plug to see if I reversed the two wires above when I put the new 12 core into the new plug, if I did, then I have corrected a reversal put on 9 and 10 when the caravan was made and why it all now seems to work as it should

macafee2
Old 7th August 2021, 21:00   #13
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I am a bit bamboozled.

With car and caravan connected and ignition off, caravan lights stayed on.

Started engine and after a while caravan lights went off

Stopped engine and after a while the caravan lights came back on

The orange which should be pin 9 seems permanent live, the red/white which should be pin 10 seems to be "ignition" live. This is as per my table but the colours I mention are not Lunar colours but those of my 12 core cable.

I need to check the 13 pin plug to see if I reversed the two wires above when I put the new 12 core into the new plug, if I did, then I have corrected a reversal put on 9 and 10 when the caravan was made and why it all now seems to work as it should

macafee2
Pleased you been successful in proving your habitational relay works , Pin 10

Did you carry on and disconnect the caravan battery to run the caravan off the car battery to see if that worked, (Step 7 to 10) which would prove Pin 9 is a permanent live ?
TourerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2021, 18:08   #14
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TourerSteve View Post
Pleased you been successful in proving your habitational relay works , Pin 10

Did you carry on and disconnect the caravan battery to run the caravan off the car battery to see if that worked, (Step 7 to 10) which would prove Pin 9 is a permanent live ?
Yes I think I did. I am now unsure if I swooped pin 9 and 10 when I wired it up and that is now why it all works. I double checked how it should be wired and it looks ok.

Good thing is with your help it all seems to work as it should. I had expected the habitation relay to work immediately but it seems to only activate once the car has been started and keeps running or is then turned off again.

thank you for the help and advice

macafee2