Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th September 2021, 12:28   #41
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
He was charged £280 to investigate the problem and all it needed was a software update
Planned obsolescence.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2021, 12:37   #42
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
"Keeping up with the Jones" then as said in an earlier post. pretty dire. Chris.S
Absolutely not. That term is about wanting more than the next doors. What I described is about wanting to better oneself and enjoying that new state of being better than one was. The two are completely different.

Anyone who owns a Rover 75 has already practiced what I described, otherwise they would be living in the woods without material possessions and driving a Daewoo Matiz to get the groceries.

It's also human nature to question the morals and principles of others without looking at ourselves.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2021, 05:48   #43
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Ooh, Having seen the previous post singing the praises of Kia/Hyundai I have to tell the tale of my wife's 2013 Kia Sportage (Not sure what they call it in the UK, I'm in Canada) The car had 117,000km on the dial when the big end bearings died a terrible death. I did a search and found that the bearings were a major failing with the engine. There had been major recalls in both the USA and Canada with replacement engines being installed. In the US all VIN numbers over a period of years were covered. Hyundai/Kia Canada decided to only cover certain VIN groups and as you can guess our car fell between two groups. The dealer even pleaded with KIA Canada and warranty was denied. They did offer to sell me a used engine for $6000. This on a car of $10,000. value! Their customer service was terrible. They couldn't even be bothered to offer us a trade in for the car which could have meant us buying a replacement vehicle from them. We went down the street to Subaru and spent $40,000. (Another story!)
In the end we decided to cut our losses and scrapped it. The value went from $10,000. to $0 instantly. I will never buy another Kia/Hyundai product and will take every opportunity to tell other people why.
FWIW: I owned a V6 Freelander and found it very reliable once the sins of the previous owners were sorted out.

Last edited by Rich in Vancouver; 25th September 2021 at 05:54..
Rich in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2021, 08:18   #44
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver View Post
In the end we decided to cut our losses and scrapped it. The value went from $10,000. to $0 instantly. I will never buy another Kia/Hyundai product and will take every opportunity to tell other people why........
I had a FIAT many decades ago. Marvellous for the first year then pretty much as soon as the warrant ran out so did a considerable number of its components.

The selling dealer couldn't care less, in fact was looking forward to supplying & fitting the parts. FIAT UK were equally useless.

Guess what... I'll never touch another FIAT. And neither have any of my family or friends.

I simply don't get the thinking behind such "service" as surely simple common sense says that if you work that way then folks vote with their feet - and tell all their mates.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2021, 09:01   #45
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

About 4 years ago a friend purchased a new Nissan, when it was delivered all the warning lights were on and the delivery driver just said 'pop it into the dealer and they will switch them off". He did and they immediately came back on but as it was a Saturday they said he would need to book it in.
Any way over the next few months the dealer failed to repair it even by fitting numerous ecu's and a new loom so after 3 months he declared it unfit for purpose and asked them to replace it or refund his money. Nissan would not do this as it was over 30days old. Needles to say Solicitors got involved and eventually they agreed to replace it aslong as he signed a declaration that he would not tell the media.

The driver that delivered the replacement said the "old one" was going to be scrapped and it happens a lot
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2021, 14:13   #46
The Rovering Member

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
A fellow MG ZTT V8 owner bought a Jaguar I-Pace. Out and about in his new pride and joy, he kept the V8, a stone got kicked up and hit the Jaguars plastic headlight pod. Made a neat hole in the plastic. He phoned his local Jaguar garage and booked the car in to have the unit replaced. Cost £3,500. And he tells me it’s cheap on electricity.
Yes, these ridiculous action-packed dazzle-boxes on the front of cars these days are all very well until you have to replace one.
I always said that about multi-function switches, mainly steering column ones. Lose one function & you have to pay for the replacement of all of them.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2021, 15:46   #47
peelaaa
Posted a thing or two

75 cdti 2004 contemporary

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
This is a thread very close to my jugular.

In late 2019 I decided no more 75/ZT or any other MGR cars. Just the TF would be kept for summer fun. Not entirely happy with the TF. Great fun to drive but has quality issues so no more after this one.

October 2019 I bought a Peugeot 308 SW and then February 2020 I bought my wife a BMW 318.
Both great cars in different ways. Clean, modern and reliable.

So far the bills have totalled £4500. That’s a ridiculous amount of money for work on engines and brakes.
Coil packs, injectors and ABS.
I’ve now decided not to sell the Peugeot as it owes me too much. The ZT will no longer be replacing it as was the plan.
Just waiting for another big bill for the BMW.......

I’m not selling the ZT at anytime. It’s my reliable and economical car to run.
I once owned a peugeot 308 sw, 7 seater. It was actually quite good to drive, comfortable, almost van like space inside with seats down, regular 50mpg from the 1.6 diesel. But then it started going wrong. Kept going in limp mode, had to get the dpf cleaned as new one was ridiculous money.
New rear brake discs replaced for the test cost the most I've ever paid for rear discs, almost 300 for the pair (before fitting) as they incorporate the wheel bearing too. Basically cost cutting in design.
Vowed never to buy french again.
peelaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2021, 16:18   #48
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelaaa View Post
Vowed never to buy french again.
That made me smile, a mechanic friend of mine wont work on French cars as he reckons they are all made of Tissue paper and Chocolate because they fall apart when they get wet or hot
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2021, 16:22   #49
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

This thread is turning into a 'And what have the Roman's done for us' type of exchange.

It feels like a lot of members will be giving up driving when their 75 expires, as most don't like Jaguars, German cars, French cars..... It feels like you've covered all the desirable manufacturers in about 50 posts!

I love them all, including the French and their cars. My daughter is beginning to talk about a Citroen RCZ - I'm all for it!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2021, 19:02   #50
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Well, what did the Romans do for us?