Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th October 2019, 11:16   #11
breakfastinsmethwick
Gets stuck in

Maintainer of sons ZT M47r

Back in the day it always seemed that Austin Rover / Rover problems were always news on Midlands today.

I still don't understand why VAG are allowed to sell cars or at least fined extremely heavily in the UK.
breakfastinsmethwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2019, 18:12   #12
Slaya
Loves to post

MG ZT V6 160+, MG TF 135, Focus 1.6 Zetec

My son has just bought a 2008 Mini...

The list of problems reported on the various models is quite long, and my son appears to have bought a car that has suffered (and still sufferring) from all of them!

Nothing a Swan Vesta and some of BPs finest can't sort.
Slaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2019, 20:44   #13
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190 + and MKIV Supra

I don't see any of this as a surprise tbh

Cars by their very nature will have different weak areas that will require work over the years. Most modern cars with manual gearboxes need their clutches and dual mass doing around the 70-90K mark.

All cars of all makes will have a weak point in their lives. It's the beauty of mechanical and electrical engineering.

If you read the internet before buying any car you will never buy one. It's only the issues that get talked about

I'm after an Alfa 159 2.4 for my next project read the interweb and you get rusty subframes, suspension clunks, oil leaks, rear window actuators, blue me sync issues, heavy tyre wear on the front, cam chain stretch. These cars are over 10 years old with numerous miles on them of course things wear.

Just go with what you like and buy a decent specimen

For the record our last Merc had 3 years of trouble free motoring with just services. I just traded it at 80K for a new one. M
My son's Vectra SRI has been a right tank. He is in his 6th year of ownership and apart from servicing I had to fix his fan (Well known Vauxhall issue), Change a couple of broken springs (sound familiar?)and his Aircon has died due to lack of gas. His cam cover is also starting to leak oil He has done 70K himself in it. I think that is stunning for a ropey old 08 Vauxhall

Living the dream

MK IV VVTI Tiptronic TT Toyota Supra
MG ZT 190+
BornTuesday, 10th July 2001 @ 09:01:10
259th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
252nd ZT 190 + to be made out of 4,023
101st ZT in Solar Red (code: CEU) to be made out of 1,888
jonc3725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2019, 08:25   #14
Lord of Hog
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 in Wedgwood Blue

I had a succession of Renaults from new between 1988 and 2002 (5s, Clios, Megane Coupes, Extras, Trafics, Masters, Kangoos) and despite all the harbingers of doom telling me about the dodgy electrics etc the only problems I encountered were the pearl black paint being a bit soft on a 2.0 16v Megane Coupe and a turbo failing after 1000 miles on a Master 2.5Td. Worst vehicle I ever had was an Audi A4 Tdi which suffered an endless list of turbo issues. Best one is probably my current Mitsubishi Outlander Mk1 which, apart from a slight weep on the auto box (sorted with a finger full of silicone sealant), has cost me nothing but consumables.

The problem with any second hand vehicle (which is what all mine have been post-Renault) is that you never truly know how well it's been maintained or how badly it's been abused. There's simply no substitute for the two basic rules:

1. Get it serviced on the button
2. Don't drive like a kn*b.

Conformity is not morality.
Consensus is not truth.
Lord of Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2019, 09:42   #15
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Here's another vote for '80s and '90s French cars, I ve had a string of Peugeot/Citroen Diesels, most of which survived high mileages on Cumbrias highways and byways on minimum repairs, but regular fluid checks. I 've also had 2 Renaults which have been as reliable as the Mercs and Audis we've had, but easier and cheaper to fix. Best cars ever for minimal expense/max reliability -an '86 Cavalier 1600L and an '88 Pug 205 GRD. In the 2 years I've had it, the 75 would have cost me a lot in labour, (clutch and suspension) if I hadn't been able to do most jobs myself. Not sure how long I'll keep it, although it is the best long distance car I've ever had. It's probably a Prius next, getting too old for crawling around under cars.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2019, 09:45   #16
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

PS I now find my rear suspension also needs a new spring and top ball joint, so I've ordered 2 of each. Ho-hum!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2019, 10:16   #17
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

This February i will have owned my Conni CDTI 9 years. I keep a log of all things done to it. It has cost me 4114 in total. That MOT's yearly service and consumable's. A lot of th work done by myself. If id bought a new car then th depreciation alone would have been horrendous. Drives really nice especially th next day after a big run. I think iv been lucky with cars. Iv had Fords, 5 Marina's, A Montego, Nissan (Only put fuel in that for 4 years) Th wife and I have had quite a few Pugs (Engine and gearboxes ace but electrics not so good) She as a very reliable Seat at th mo.... And mine is going to be defrosted in a minuet and take me for some blood tests. All my cars would be classed as sheds/unreliable. In my opinion they have all been good. I wonder if th cars are ok and its just th owners that are th problem???.
Old 28th October 2019, 10:32   #18
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

The most reliable car that I ever had was a Ford Popular (sit up and beg type). I think that its reliability was due to the fact that it had very little to go wrong with it. My basic teenage knowledge had me checking and adjusting the points occasionally, greasing her "nipples" (hope that gets through the naughty filter), changing oil and filter and checking the tyres. It was as old as me but probably was more handsome! A coat of Woolworths black paint when I bought it (£35) and another when I sold it (£40) saw me break even! In the following years, I often saw it plodding around the hills of West Yorkshire on a weekend jaunt!
Old 29th October 2019, 11:51   #19
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Vauxhall Astra gearbox faults - they use bearings made by Cadbury’s and when you see your gear-lever move about when it shouldn’t and hear a low rumble - then unless it fails within warranty (unusual - as it seems “timed to fail” outside of liability) - then be prepared to fork out a large wodge of cash.

Upgraded bearing seem not possible so further failure is likely.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote