Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st February 2024, 21:05   #111
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Sorry Bob but that immediately brings this vision to mind

Ah! Steptoe and son. What a fabulous program that was, we used to laugh a lot at that.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2024, 22:20   #112
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Bob

all the old Steptoe progs currently being repeated nightly at 11pm on That's TV2. Channel 65 Freeview.

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2024, 12:41   #113
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

Well, the chap from the stairlift company has been and gone. Yet another MG owner. He bought his ZR new in 2005. Only got 86k on the clock as well.
Anyway we had a good in depth conversation about the stairlift. Seems that they are battery powered rather than running straight off the electric. It is still plugged into the mains, so is constantly on charge.

My handrail will have to be removed as the rail needs to be as close as possible to the wall. Allen said that it could be moved over. They offer all sorts of deals from rentals to refurbished to new ones. Only on the new ones do they offer a scheme called safe lift. It enables family or friends to download an app so people know when the lift has been used. Also the company can help to keep an eye on the stairlift. Should there be a mechanical problem then it can be sorted.

So a brand new one including fitting and safe lift works out to £2995.
Rented is £1300 up front then free for 6months. Then £600 a year. Ok for short term but it would pay to buy if keeping it long term.
Refurbished ones are about £2350 but a discount can be given if buying it outright.
So going to give it some thought before making a decision.

I’ve been on the telly again. I have been recording the ITV local news every night but haven’t been checking it till this morning. So it was shown on the 13th February and is a better coverage than the BBC version. Autographs are available. I’ll see if I can get a link up to show on here.

The lady from HomeFirst, Mary, supervised me going up and down the stairs today. She had been told by Clare that I could only go up and down under supervision. Hoping all the other ladies have been told the same thing.
If a neighbour pops in this afternoon I’ll get them to watch me up and down.

Cooked a spicy chilli yesterday in the slow cooker, oh! Boy! It was blooming spicy but lovely. Enjoyed it so much I had seconds. Enough left for today and tomorrow. Also had a large glass of dark rum last night as well. I really slept well. Only woke up once in the night for a wee.

onen hag oll
Old 23rd February 2024, 15:56   #114
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

It’s all very confusing, I have now been told I can go upstairs on my own to use the bathroom but I’m to sleep downstairs. I suppose that is from a safety aspect as I would not be able to vacate the premises in an emergency as I would have to put my Stormtrooper AirBoot to get back down the stairs. On a good day it takes me less that 4 minutes but on a bad day, or just been woken up, it can take me 7 minutes.

Had a dicky tummy yesterday and spent a lot of time sitting on the loo. Never felt sick though unlike my neighbours children who have been off of school all this week with the sickness and diarrhoea bug that’s doing the rounds. I just had it for about 15 hours.

Had the stairlift people on the phone doing the hard sales drive but I won’t be pressured into making a decision. Usual rubbish, if I pay outright I can save over £500 and it could be fitted within 7 days. But I need to have a chat with Allen to make sure that the handrail can be moved over and secured safely on the other side. There is plasterboard covering both sides of the exposed side of the stairs. So I don’t know how many of the uprights are in place. Allen will know.

Rest of the spicy chilli tonight with jacket spud and fairy cabbages.
Hoping to get Banana started tomorrow, been over a month since she was out last. Hoping a friend will take her, and me, for a run over the weekend. Be nice to get out.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 23rd February 2024 at 15:57.. Reason: Lost words located
Old 26th February 2024, 11:47   #115
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

The physiotherapist came this morning at 09.30. The good news is that I no longer need the crutch to go up and down the stairs. Not once did I hesitate on the coming down. She then had me walking across the decking without the crutches, again a successful walk.

Then she had me hold onto the hospital bed and put my full weight on the fractured ankle, still wearing the Stormtrooper AirBoot, and lifting the other foot off of the ground. And no pain in the ankle. As for the pain in the hip she suggested that I wear my outside shoe, which has an insole in it, in the house as it might help me to level up a bit.

After she went I then put my clean washing away, took two trips but I achieved that ok. Then I managed to take my recycling out, was a bit of job getting down the steps so I went back and got the one crutch to help. Again I managed that task. Happy with that.

I shared my good news with Marion via a text. And she came along and gave me a hug and said, “well done you. But don’t let it go to your head and overdo it as you know what the consequences will be”. Yes that will be another telling off from Karen, my neighbour across the road.

I have been struggling a bit with my mental health over the last month, mainly caused the thought of having to go into hospital to have the ankle pinned. On last Saturday Karen came over to change the sheets and quilt cover on the bed, and said to me that she thought that I needed to contact a professional over my mental health. I thought I had managed to keep it quiet but I keep forgetting she used to be a nurse, and later on counsellor.
She said that she good detect the signs of a downwards spiral.

I tried to say there was no problem but she wasn’t having it. She even suggested that she may contact my doctor via the practice manager, who she knows outside work. And get me an appointment.

But after today I feel so much better I myself, so I’ll skip around seeing a quack. Been there before after I lost Val, and then less than 11 months later my daughter. I hit an all time low with severe depression. I was already to end it all but two things happened, a close friend stepped in with lots of positive advice. And Banana pulled me out of the pit of despair.
And that is why I always say that “Banana saved my life”.

So onwards and upwards from now on.

onen hag oll
Old 26th February 2024, 12:35   #116
squire
Posted a thing or two

MGB GT, 2 Morris Minor Travellers

Thumbs up

I'm really hoping you've turned the corner now Bob, but don't get too impatient you've still got a good way to go yet, build your strength and confidence up slowly and surely without over doing it.
squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2024, 13:29   #117
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Good news, BUT do continue to take care of yourself. So easy to be careless at our age!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2024, 13:59   #118
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

Clare from Adult Social Services came to see me today. She wanted to see me going up the stairs, watched me to how I would cope with sitting on the loo. I told I had bought the frame around the toilet as I wanted one of my own, and that I have elderly friends who come to visit me and sometimes need the loo.
Then she wanted to see me get into and out of my own bed. Fully clothed all the time, and with the Stormtrooper AirBoot on.

“Show me how you will get out of bed in the night to go to the loo”. So I took my Stormtrooper AirBoot off, I had already brought my other ‘borrowed’ MG Zimmer frame up. So I rolled out of bed and leaned on the frame and hopped into the bathroom keeping my bad foot off of the ground. Managed to turn around in the bathroom and sat on the lid of the loo. “Can you reach the paper if you had to do a No.2? Well as I have been coming up here for the last few days to do one it has become easy to reach.

Then up off the loo and hopped back into the bedroom and back into bed. Then rolled off and put my Stormtrooper AirBoot back on. All she said was, “that is amazing, you have progressed so well. All the girls have remarked how you have been such a model patient. Wish we had more like you. And I’m happy for you to start sleeping in your own bed whenever you are ready to”. So I said that will be tonight then. Only if you are sure she said. Oh! Yes I thought.

Then she watched me back down the stairs. “Amazing without any hesitation you went down in the correct manner”, said Clare.
So sometime between now and March 18th the hospital bed will be collected along with the commode. Then I can get my house back together again.
But I asked what if I need an operation on my ankle. Clare said it would be doubtful that the bed would be collected before the 6th March so if an operation is needed then we can cancel the removal.

“But after watching you today on how you coped, not at any time did you show any pain. You just got on with the task and by the look of joy on your face when I said about sleeping in your own bed was a picture”. Said Clare.
“ Now don’t overdo it moving stuff back upstairs. Bev will be in later and she can help you”. And with that comment Clare was gone.

By the time Bev arrived I had most of it moved back upstairs. Only got to strip the bed tomorrow and put all the sheets and quilt cover in the wash. Now sitting down with foot raised and slurping a cuppa down. I am really so happy and I have everything crossed for the 6th. But I know that in my mind the bad thought of having an operation is still lurking. But all the good thoughts have got it surrounded.

Many thanks for the kind comments.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 27th February 2024 at 14:01.. Reason: Lost word found under the bed
Old 28th February 2024, 13:05   #119
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

Well, that was quick. The bed and commode are being collected tomorrow. Clare from HomeFirst phoned to say they would not be coming anymore as I’m now sleeping upstairs and using the loo up there as well.
Clare said that if I do need the operation then getting the bed back in wouldn’t be a problem.

There is a theory, but not checked to see if it is true, that after 8 weeks I would have to pay for the ladies coming in from HomeFirst. If that’s the case then no wonder they wanted me to get back upstairs and their equipment back.

Last night I slept fairly well but I did wake up and wondered where I was. But once I figured it out all was ok. Then I needed the loo, that took a bit longer to get there than I have been used to. But I made it in time.
Went back to sleep and woke up again at 07.30. Which is pretty good for me.
I have left my washing stuff downstairs. So the strip down washes will continue till the new shower unit is installed. And that will happen on March 11th.

onen hag oll
Old 28th February 2024, 13:39   #120
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Thumbs up

A pot to pee in might be useful, better than getting caught short and not able to get up the stairs to the bog in time. Seen the odd purpose designed one for camping and long car trips on the likes of ebay and aliexpress but I guess any suitable container will do. Maybe make one from a plastic milk container of sufficient size. Cut the top off wide enough with a stanley-like knife or maybe a pair of craft scissors and Bob's your uncle. After use empty in the bog asap and rinse with water then repeat with a bit of water/bog cleaner added to it.
Some uncouth campers don't bother with a pot.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote