Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd October 2015, 08:36   #1
chambl01
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Default Air lock in radiator ..help

Hi everyone, I've just renewd antifreeze in my Rover 75 2.0 CDT se Connie. Unfortunately I've since found my rear vent is freezing. On further investigation I noted the lower left radiator tube very cold whilst the top right tube very hot. Clearly an air lock. I tried purging the tubes to move any air out with no avail. Tried the air valve but only antifreeze dripping out. I'm worried I can't use the car until I get the lock out as i don't want to damage the engine. Any advice would be greatly received. Thank you

Last edited by chambl01; 3rd October 2015 at 08:58..
chambl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 10:18   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambl01 View Post
- - - I've since found my rear vent is freezing.
Do you mean the fresh air vent/grill for the rear passengers? If so, it only provides cold/ambient air.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 10:24   #3
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Yeap, heat comes through ducts under the front seats, the vent on the rear of the centre consul only does fresh air from outside.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 11:33   #4
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambl01 View Post
... I noted the lower left radiator tube very cold whilst the top right tube very hot. Clearly an air lock.
Maybe, but with such a marked temperature difference your thermostat may be stuck closed. That would be unusual though; the diesel 'stats commonly have the opposite problem.
I'd suggest that you activate the instrument pack diagnostics to find out the actual temperature which the coolant is reaching. That will aid your diagnosis.
Quote:
Tried the air valve but only antifreeze dripping out.
Here's the official MGR venting method. Note that the bleed screw should not be opened with the engine running.

Simon
Old 3rd October 2015, 17:58   #5
chambl01
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Do you mean the fresh air vent/grill for the rear passengers? If so, it only provides cold/ambient air.

TC
I'm sure it was heated, maybe I'm wrong. But still confused as to why the bottom large radiator hose is so cold when all the others are hot. I assume circulating hot water would be demonstrated by both intake and output hoses in and out of the radiator. I was wondering whether their was an airlock in the main radiator itself.
Old 3rd October 2015, 20:37   #6
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Hot coolant goes into the radiator at the top. It gets cooled on the way down, so it comes out cooler at the bottom. It shouldn't be stone cold though. Are you sure it's not simply cooler than you expected? A common issue with diesels is the premature opening of the thermostat. This has been discussed at length and is well understood. It means flow into the radiator starts much earlier than it should. That means coolant at say 75C from the head is allowed into the rad. It will make the top hose feel 'hot' but will actually be over-cooled by the rad and so feel much cooler than it should be on exit. It's the reason why so many diesel owners have fitted the in-line thermostat mod. Your engine needs to be running at around 90C. The chances are it's 20 degrees cooler.

The rear passenger section vent/grill only ever supplied cold air. It's not connected to the warm air system. Warm air is delivered through pressed steel ducts moulded into the floor and exit under the front seats.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 3rd October 2015 at 20:45..
Old 3rd October 2015, 21:23   #7
chambl01
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Thank you, that sounds great. I was worried about driving the car but sounds like everything s normal then. I've just not paid any attention to it before. I'm sure I'll pass on my experience to others on the forum. This site is fabulous and members who reply my superheroes. Thanks everyone, all this info is great. Very much appreciated.
Old 3rd October 2015, 23:10   #8
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

My rad in colder months is roasting hot at the inlet (top left pipe from front of car) and warm (can hold your hand there for as long as you like) at bottom right of rad.

In summer months it gets uniformly roasting hot all over. I think the rad is over specced for diesels and so only gets given a workout in the hotter months / climates.
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2015, 08:57   #9
chambl01
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by first-things-first View Post
My rad in colder months is roasting hot at the inlet (top left pipe from front of car) and warm (can hold your hand there for as long as you like) at bottom right of rad.

In summer months it gets uniformly roasting hot all over. I think the rad is over specced for diesels and so only gets given a workout in the hotter months / climates.
Left top gets hot lower right cold. Heating inside the car is fine though. Wish their was an air valve in the radiator not just the heater matrix hose.
Old 4th October 2015, 09:46   #10
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Have you checked the running temperatue?

TC