Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th April 2019, 07:42   #1
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts
Default PAYG mobile phones!

I got a smart phone a few years ago primarily to use in the car if I needed to contact someone.
I could never suss out how to answer a call on the damn thing & lately when I've tried to use it I was getting "calls from this number are barred" message
I have over £12+ credit on it remaining so I emailed ASDA a few days ago to find out what's happening, Still waiting on a reply .

Looking online last night it looks like the credit is time limited to six months Never knew such a thing existed

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2019, 07:49   #2
markypicks
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon cdt club se re map 160 bhp

get yourself a smart phone and sim / or just a sim only contract from talktalk they do smartphones from 14 quid a month rgds mark
markypicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2019, 08:36   #3
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

As far as I am aware all PAYG contracts have a time limit on the credit and it is usually six months. Also, a call has to be made every 90 or so days in order for the SIM to remain active.

There may be some PAYG contract where the above does not apply but it does in all cases of which I am aware.

You could try calling the number and that will indicate whether the SIM is still active.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2019, 08:57   #4
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by markypicks View Post
get yourself a smart phone and sim / or just a sim only contract from talktalk they do smartphones from 14 quid a month rgds mark

Hi Mark, I don't really want a contract as I rarely use it. I'll wait on ASDA's reply to see what's what first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
As far as I am aware all PAYG contracts have a time limit on the credit and it is usually six months. Also, a call has to be made every 90 or so days in order for the SIM to remain active.

There may be some PAYG contract where the above does not apply but it does in all cases of which I am aware.

You could try calling the number and that will indicate whether the SIM is still active.

I'll look into that. If ASDA turn around & say my phone number is non existent any longer & I've lost my £12+ credit I'll be a bit pee'd off, If I get another SIM I'll have to remember to use it periodically to keep within the credit time limits.

Old 18th April 2019, 09:08   #5
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post

It depends who is the provider
https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/p...-credit-expiry

I think Asda is in bed with EE.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2019, 09:25   #6
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
It depends who is the provider
https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/p...-credit-expiry

I think Asda is in bed with EE.

Thanks for the list. It appear that all the main mobile operators have an expiration limit - most 6 months and a few 9 months.

As for being "in bed", I think what you meant to say was that "ASDA mobile operates as an MVNO on the EE network" but that will not be relevant here as the limits we are discussing are configured at the MVNO service layer.
Old 18th April 2019, 09:26   #7
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Yeah! Just got a reply from ASDA and they're going to re-instate my number.

"Thanks for your email about your handset not working. I’m sorry you’re having issues with this however, I am glad you have brought this to my attention so we can investigate your query.
I’ve looked on to your account and I can see your handset has been restricted due to no chargeable service used within 180 days. The reason this has happened is because if a mobile number is not kept active is starts to go down the route of being disconnected. The first step is restriction, which stops all outgoing services. The second step would be to suspend the number, which would remove all credit on the account and stop all services. The third and final stop would be to full disconnect the number for it to be out up for recycling.
I’m pleased to let you know that because your number is only restricted I can re-activate this for you and re-instate all your services. Once re-activated it can take up 24 hours for all services to be back on the network. What I will need you to do is turn off your handset, remove your battery for a few minutes then restart your handset.
To prevent this happening again you will need to use a chargeable service before every 180 days. You can either use a call, a text or open a data connection.
ust to remind you our rates are 8p per minute, 4p per text and 5p per MB of data. You can check your balance at any time by texting ‘BAL’ to 2732 or ring 2732. Both these services are free.
Thanks for taking the time to contact me. I trust the information I have provided resolves your issue. If you need any further help, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards
James Morrison
Asda Mobile"

Old 18th April 2019, 09:30   #8
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Yeah! Just got a reply from ASDA and they're going to re-instate my number.

"Thanks for your email about your handset not working. I’m sorry you’re having issues with this however, I am glad you have brought this to my attention so we can investigate your query.
I’ve looked on to your account and I can see your handset has been restricted due to no chargeable service used within 180 days. The reason this has happened is because if a mobile number is not kept active is starts to go down the route of being disconnected. The first step is restriction, which stops all outgoing services. The second step would be to suspend the number, which would remove all credit on the account and stop all services. The third and final stop would be to full disconnect the number for it to be out up for recycling.
I’m pleased to let you know that because your number is only restricted I can re-activate this for you and re-instate all your services. Once re-activated it can take up 24 hours for all services to be back on the network. What I will need you to do is turn off your handset, remove your battery for a few minutes then restart your handset.
To prevent this happening again you will need to use a chargeable service before every 180 days. You can either use a call, a text or open a data connection.
ust to remind you our rates are 8p per minute, 4p per text and 5p per MB of data. You can check your balance at any time by texting ‘BAL’ to 2732 or ring 2732. Both these services are free.
Thanks for taking the time to contact me. I trust the information I have provided resolves your issue. If you need any further help, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards
James Morrison
Asda Mobile"

Excellent. That's a good informative response from ASDA.

Most operators do have a quarantine period during which they retain the number in a quarantined pool in case it needs to be reassigned to the original subscriber.
Old 18th April 2019, 09:43   #9
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

A bit confusing though.
To ask Asda the question and get a reply from Morrison.

Edit
I just realised that anyone North of Watford won't get that.
Morrisons is a large supermarket chain in the South.

Anyway, I like his music though.

Let the good times roll............

Last edited by Dorset Bob; 18th April 2019 at 10:54.. Reason: For those North of Watford
Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2019, 11:06   #10
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
A bit confusing though.
To ask Asda the question and get a reply from Morrison.

Edit
I just realised that anyone North of Watford won't get that.
Morrisons is a large supermarket chain in the South.

Anyway, I like his music though.

LOL Van or Jim?