Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd September 2009, 20:09   #1
Kedaha
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Default A few problems Diesel ZT

Going to put an offer on this however getting a friendly mechanic to give it a quick once over first - but hoping I can get responses, advice and opinions on a few things here from your knowledgable selves!

1)The car pulled well from 1500rpm, does this make it likely that the MAF is ok?
2)There's water ingress in the boot on the passenger side - is there a plenum tube there that's blocked or is it more serious?
3)Clutch was quite hard - not massively so, but noticable(and this is the main reason getting mechanic to give it a once over). I've read here that that's common enough, but as changing clutch+slave would cost 1/3rd the value of the car - it pays to be sure!
4) Car pulls to the left a little under moderate braking
5) The glovebox is broken, it feels like it has two clips/latches on the bottom, and on one of them it isnt being held in( but it will stay closed)
6) When accelerating and going around a roundabout in the wet, the car felt a bit...wooly and understeered noticabley(noticably?)
7) I pulled the bonnet release catch, nothing happened.
Pulled harder after having a feel around to make sure i wasnt going to snap anything, heard a noise as if the bonnet was disengaging - checked and it hadnt. Pulled again and the lever is just slack.
Not asking how to get into it, just this: would a decent mechanic who doesnt have much experience with MG's have the knowledge to get it open?

Car has a full service history, in the UK up until sometime between 2006-2007, imported to Ireland and then serviced once.
Seller took it as a part exchange when he sold his 350z, doesn't want it and has only driven it a handful of times in the 2months he's had it.

Oh and last but not least, anyone know how to use HPI with an irish address/credit card?

Thanks a lot!
<Hopefully new ZT owner>

Last edited by Kedaha; 2nd September 2009 at 20:12..
Kedaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 20:16   #2
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

7. Not very likely unless he has done the job before. PM one of the mods or tech bods if you need the info.

Can't help much with the other stuff (oilburners). Have a look in the How To forums for "water ingress".
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 20:36   #3
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedaha View Post
Going to put an offer on this however getting a friendly mechanic to give it a quick once over first - but hoping I can get responses, advice and opinions on a few things here from your knowledgable selves!

1)The car pulled well from 1500rpm, does this make it likely that the MAF is ok?
2)There's water ingress in the boot on the passenger side - is there a plenum tube there that's blocked or is it more serious?
3)Clutch was quite hard - not massively so, but noticable(and this is the main reason getting mechanic to give it a once over). I've read here that that's common enough, but as changing clutch+slave would cost 1/3rd the value of the car - it pays to be sure!
4) Car pulls to the left a little under moderate braking
5) The glovebox is broken, it feels like it has two clips/latches on the bottom, and on one of them it isnt being held in( but it will stay closed)
6) When accelerating and going around a roundabout in the wet, the car felt a bit...wooly and understeered noticabley(noticably?)
7) I pulled the bonnet release catch, nothing happened.
Pulled harder after having a feel around to make sure i wasnt going to snap anything, heard a noise as if the bonnet was disengaging - checked and it hadnt. Pulled again and the lever is just slack.
Not asking how to get into it, just this: would a decent mechanic who doesnt have much experience with MG's have the knowledge to get it open?

Car has a full service history, in the UK up until sometime between 2006-2007, imported to Ireland and then serviced once.
Seller took it as a part exchange when he sold his 350z, doesn't want it and has only driven it a handful of times in the 2months he's had it.

Oh and last but not least, anyone know how to use HPI with an irish address/credit card?

Thanks a lot!
<Hopefully new ZT owner>
water getting in through the rear lights is the main cause of water in the boot.
easy to seal with silicon round the light.
Old 2nd September 2009, 20:42   #4
mark_bonsai
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Saloon

1. MAF sounds OK
  2. Either boot seal or the one round the light cluster-easily fixed
  3. None of them have the lightest clutch in the world but hard to say, could last another 50,000 or 50. My pedal is firm and makes my knee ache in stop start traffic.
  4. Brakes probably want an overhaul. Grease the pins on the calipers, etc.
  5. Probably one of the pins through the hinges. They just slide out to remove the lid, and ones probably worked it's way out and just needs pushing back in.
  6. You want to try driving a 75. When pushed, they handle like a tug in a storm. The ZT's are usually better, so this one may have a tired shock or a bush somewhere.
  7. Common fault, but easily sorted, when you know how! As Grey Ghost says, PM one of the Mods and they should tell you how.
HPI in Ireland, not a clue my friend. Have you tried one of the online ones?
Re-mapped. EGR bypass. De-catted. 18" Apex's. ZT190 brakes & suspension. Xenon projectors. Powerfold bullets. Electric rear sun blind. Auto dipping rear view mirror. Wood and leather steering wheel. Wood handbrake handle. Full leather sports seats. Harman Kardon speakers & sub. Navall 2 double din through 500w Kenwood amp. Fully chromed front grill.
mark_bonsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 20:57   #5
Kedaha
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Re: HPI, yep! They reject irish credit cards, and HPI tells me I should use an irish "partner".

HPI check on hpi.co.uk > £20(about €23).
HPI check on their irish partner > £35!

Thanks a lot btw guys, the car in general felt solid - little minor problems are fine and will give me something to do!
Old 2nd September 2009, 21:04   #6
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quote:
Re: HPI, yep! They reject irish credit cards, and HPI tells me I should use an irish "partner".

HPI check on hpi.co.uk > £20(about €23).
HPI check on their irish partner > £35!

Thanks a lot btw guys, the car in general felt solid - little minor problems are fine and will give me something to do!
Have a look at this link, it's from 2007. The post re:- getting the AA to do it. Don't know if it's still valid as 2 years old.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archi...055131908.html
Old 2nd September 2009, 21:06   #7
Kedaha
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

I actually read that believe it or not(Motors on boards is the main forum I read).
Unfortunately, they only do a finance check and nothing else.
Will probably just stump the €35!
Old 2nd September 2009, 21:13   #8
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quote:
I actually read that believe it or not(Motors on boards is the main forum I read).
Unfortunately, they only do a finance check and nothing else.
Will probably just stump the €35!
Must be because I'm Irish
Old 2nd September 2009, 21:16   #9
Kedaha
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

OT but: Whereabouts are you from originally?
Old 2nd September 2009, 21:18   #10
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

London.

Great grandfolks from Kerry.

Now I'm for some stick.