Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th December 2006, 17:25   #1
Matt brighton
Avid contributor

Alfa Romeo 159 !!

Default "Job done" - auto box oil change

Hi,

Just changed the auto gearbox oil on my 2001 2.0 cdt and the job went easily.

Having done it now - I would recommend to others that you make sure that you have the filling arrangements well thought out and in place ie - right size funnels/pipes as the filler hole is very small and without the (in my case) x2 funnels and patience , you will end up spilling much of the costly red stuff you want to put in.

I got the oil from local ex rover main dealership - Caffyns of Brighton, it was the mg/rover labelled stuff - not texaco & it came to about £25 with drain plug washer (filler level plug washer not available so I re-used the old one)

Regards

Matt - brighton
Old 26th December 2006, 18:05   #2
Nomis
Loves to post

micra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt brighton View Post
Hi,

Just changed the auto gearbox oil on my 2001 2.0 cdt and the job went easily.

Having done it now - I would recommend to others that you make sure that you have the filling arrangements well thought out and in place ie - right size funnels/pipes as the filler hole is very small and without the (in my case) x2 funnels and patience , you will end up spilling much of the costly red stuff you want to put in.

I got the oil from local ex rover main dealership - Caffyns of Brighton, it was the mg/rover labelled stuff - not texaco & it came to about £25 with drain plug washer (filler level plug washer not available so I re-used the old one)

Regards

Matt - brighton
I am going to tackle this in the new year some time as car has done 61k now. Is the filler at the front when you look down just before the battery with a small rubber plug?

Also did you get the fluid to a certain temp first as it states you should before measuring the fluid?
Nomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2006, 17:02   #3
Matt brighton
Avid contributor

Alfa Romeo 159 !!

Hi

Yes - the filler is that one at the front (small rubber bung)

The level plug is beside the drain plug

As for the correct temp - I followed the proceedure in the haynes which recommends running to operating temp before emptying checking at operating temperature after selecting all gears from p to 2 and back again- the filler wouldnt take my thermometer down to oil level and without a testbook - operating temp - is as near as us home mechanics can get.
Old 27th December 2006, 17:12   #4
Nomis
Loves to post

micra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt brighton View Post
Hi

Yes - the filler is that one at the front (small rubber bung)

The level plug is beside the drain plug

As for the correct temp - I followed the proceedure in the haynes which recommends running to operating temp before emptying checking at operating temperature after selecting all gears from p to 2 and back again- the filler wouldnt take my thermometer down to oil level and without a testbook - operating temp - is as near as us home mechanics can get.
Thanks for that. It will be a job for the spring I think.
Nomis is offline   Reply With Quote