Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th September 2019, 17:58   #11
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

The youngest of our cars are fourteen years old and nothing is going to last forever and spares will dry up eventually and I dare so MG Rover will be no worse than any other but with people like Mat and Scott still sourcing spares we can all keep running for longer and easier than many marques can
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 18:26   #12
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

I must admit, im using mine more than ever since her return from the rest for 12 months, shes running very well indeed!! i dont want to reduce the use, rather use and use and enjoy, than have a museum piece ! I do fully understand preservation and spotlessness.... but driving them in reasonable condition is just grand!
Olde faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 18:35   #13
markypicks
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon cdt club se re map 160 bhp

mine an o2 plate so 17 years old but still drives like a new car even more wi 160 re map i love it . its had a lot of work done and hopefully it passes its test in november . i paid 1100 quid for mine and prob spent the same on repairs etc but i still love it .. if you got the cash and the will to keep going do so and keep another great icon on british roads rgds mark
markypicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 20:38   #14
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
At the end of the day, its just a trim, could you not fit a chrome 75 one instead? Or repaint the original? There are people on Facebook had great results doing this.
I know, its silly, but its more what it represents.

I've spent years worrying about what needs done next, where to get XYZ part, avoiding Chinese/Indian bits etc.

Im mentally worn out and exhausted with just having so many things constantly on my mind. It feels like I am constantly thinking about the ***** car and what needs done. Now its come to a point where I am looking back and realising its actually affected my mental health and state of mind.

I can't go on anymore with the spares situation, I dont want to be running about in a car with badly fitting trim, worried about what is going to break next, and poisoning myself on the fumes.

Whenever I start the car up outside the house, the ZT Cdti really has a noxious output and its awful. I almost hope that these old smokers get banned to force me to move to something else.

The only more depressing thing than all the above, is the thought of paying back a car on a monthly loan, but that seems to be fine for 90% of the cars on the road these days, so not sure what my problem is.

I know what the next thing will be.... when I remove the trim for another, or to bend/fettle this one and see if it can be re-shaped, I bet the clips under the screen crack into bits, turning a simple job into the usual MG Rover nightmare, and I am back to square one sourcing new clips and finding a place to remove the rear screen without breaking it. A nightmare rabbit hole. Fortunately I now cycle a lot, and its given me some freedom as the diesel is off the road with a clonking CV/RH Driveshaft.

I will also add... even that is a joke.. the "new" MGROver CV boot kits are rubbish, and not even the right size compared to the originals not to mention a garage I know says they only seem to last 2 years on his customers cars. I was lucky to source old factory stock in terms of a pair of CVs and a few boot kits, but the parts quality is a depressing disgrace.

All this on a car which was a one owner from new garaged all its life CDTi with only 60k on the clock at the time. Its in great condition compared to what I see out there. Perhaps the solution is to find a ZT-T Monogram in near mint condition, I don't think I am fussed with having the V6 any more, the Diesel is so revolting.

Last edited by T16; 20th September 2019 at 20:48..
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 21:30   #15
Rogue

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markypicks View Post
mine an o2 plate so 17 years old but still drives like a new car even more wi 160 re map i love it . its had a lot of work done and hopefully it passes its test in november . i paid 1100 quid for mine and prob spent the same on repairs etc but i still love it .. if you got the cash and the will to keep going do so and keep another great icon on british roads rgds mark

Mine stands me about £1500 including buying it a few years ago, nearly 180k, not far off her 20th birthday and still in daily use for work. If she needs anything doing i get it done and don't worry too much about it as she's still probably the most economic car i've owned. That's all aside to being the most pleasant to drive too. I would also guess the total cost of running, including fuel, since i've owned her is still probably less than the first years depreciation of a new car. I try and keep her reasonably clean and tidy and she often gets compliments from my clients when i call out to see them, what's not to like

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 23:15   #16
john116
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

As a new owner, I now have a car that cost AUD$70,000 when new, nearly 20 years ago. Nearly AUD$100k in today's money. It's only done 57,000 kms and looks new. I paid AUD$6000 for it, but consider that still to be cheap, unless I go shopping for one in the UK.

High end cars have never been cheap to maintain, and I'm still amazed (at least for now), the still huge number of spares available, and available very cheaply. So for the moment, no issue there.

If find the general depressed mood on this forum interesting, as I thought there would be so much more positivity about these cars. Not how much they cost to keep going, getting stressed about having to find parts (Really?!!!), and so on and so on.

If, as a club we actually worked together in a good way, and with some investment, between us all we could do amazing things to keep these amazing British cars on the road for at least another 20 years.
john116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 23:23   #17
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
Latest pain in the rear is rear screen finisher on the ZT.

The old one was well gone and looked a disgrace, I eventually got a couple of new ones, but due to one reason or another took a month to get round to fitting it, and had it on the list of jobs before fixing the broken driveshaft....

So, fitted it yesterday, and there are gaps where it doesnt even meet the screen, and at least a 5mm gap between the two halves at the top of the screen.

The quality and shape of these parts is shocking, not fit for purpose. They were of course made in China, and there are pretty much none left now.

So that's it, I'm stuck with a car that I cannot make look decent, with what looks like a rubbish poorly fitting rear window trim, where there are none left and as I understand it no plans to find another supplier.

What an embarrassment.

It feels like for the last 3-4 years my entire life has been focused on sourcing parts, fixing things, replacing things, upgrading things, maintaining things, trying my best to make the car decent, and it was pretty much giving me an anxiety complex I think, and affecting my nerves and state of mind.

I think this was the final straw and it can sit and rot for all I care now.
Excellent, don't let the door hit you on the backside, when you leave them at the scrapyard

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 23:28   #18
T16

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Snore...

Last edited by T16; 20th September 2019 at 23:31..
Old 20th September 2019, 23:58   #19
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
So, fitted it yesterday, and there are gaps where it doesnt even meet the screen, and at least a 5mm gap between the two halves at the top of the screen.

The problem here is not the parts themselves, these are not remanufactured components, the problem is in the technique employed during fitting.

What you need to understand Ross is quite simple, during initial assembly at the plant, these would have been fitted by a person whose sole task was to fit screen surrounds, and he or she would have become well practised.

You on the other hand have fitted one, made a hash of it, then claimed it is down to poor manufacture, when trying to counteract your own shortcomings.

If you live to be 200 years old you will never be satisfied with any car you own, I've met your type before, so you have two options as I see it

1 Buy a new car enjoy it and get your life back

2 continue to try and repair your existing car, or employ someone capable of doing so

Either option is fine, but stop harping on about your car, it's tiresome
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2019, 00:04   #20
T16

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
The problem here is not the parts themselves, these are not remanufactured components, the problem is in the technique employed during fitting.

What you need to understand Ross is quite simple, during initial assembly at the plant, these would have been fitted by a person whose sole task was to fit screen surrounds, and he or she would have become well practised.

You on the other hand have fitted one, made a hash of it, then claimed it is down to poor manufacture, when trying to counteract your own shortcomings.

If you live to be 200 years old you will never be satisfied with any car you own, I've met your type before, so you have two options as I see it

1 Buy a new car enjoy it and get your life back

2 continue to try and repair your existing car, or employ someone capable of doing so

Either option is fine, but stop harping on about your car, it's tiresome

My standards are exacting, and I need not reassure anyone of the care and expertise which was taken to fit. Considerably more than anyone else I have ever seen mess with cheap re-made Chinese trims.

Even the connecting plates between the two trims which are cheaply just unfinished shiny metal were primed and black matte coated by me as they were at the factory.

It is poorly made and poor quality control which means the shape and size of the re-made ones are off.

I will not waste any more of my time as I have a life outside of baiting people.

If you think all the re-made parts are perfectly fine, good luck with your unwelded Indian rear suspension arms.

It is true however that the cars are getting on, however I was more impressed with the fit and finish on the old Rover Coupe Turbos than I have been on most of the ZT's.

Last edited by T16; 21st September 2019 at 01:29..