Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st September 2018, 10:53   #21
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

I had the tyres changed on my Dolomite when I got it because they were very old, 1980s Uniroyal's with loads of tread but all showing signs of cracking. Last owner put back on its original wheels when he sold it to me and they had been in storage 4 years so they had been in actual use for over 20yrs prior.

Frightening to think that people do rely on tyres so unsafe but it is common to see this in the classic scene. Only a month ago I was talking to a classic owner friend and he had had the tyres on his Capri for 15yrs and didn't want to change them for originality reasons. Just done his Dolomite tyres after 20yrs use as they were worn out. Pointed out the cracking between the treads and last week he showed me his new tyres. Told me he never realised old tyres were dangerous.

The worst thing though was when I was changing the tyres on the Dolly the tyre fitter gave me one of them back and said there's nothing wrong with this put it on the spare or keep it for a spare. I pointed out the very slight cracking between the tread on this one and he said that's ok nothing wrong with it loads of life in it. I use it as a buffer at the back of the garage.

Last edited by RobSun; 1st September 2018 at 10:55..
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2018, 11:30   #22
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSun View Post

The worst thing though was when I was changing the tyres on the Dolly the tyre fitter gave me one of them back and said there's nothing wrong with this put it on the spare or keep it for a spare. I pointed out the very slight cracking between the tread on this one and he said that's ok nothing wrong with it loads of life in it. I use it as a buffer at the back of the garage.
I’ve seen tyres crack between the treads at two year old and well in date and the cars are usually low mileage or rarely used. This cracking between the tread wouldn’t concern me too much as long as the cords aren’t visible.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2018, 12:06   #23
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

Ok I have 4x 225/45R18 95Y Hankook K120 XL- fitted 17/01/18 and 6mm tread rear, 5.5mm front. Done 7000miles and asper code they are 1year17weeks old. So 4years 35 weeks age left. That's not life of tyre in use obviously. Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2018, 12:49   #24
ZedTeeT
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Obviously modern tyre compounds are light years away from that of the past and their performance is far superior in all areas, but I'm not convinced they last as long. Do all the additives they put in now effect their service life???

My ZTT has Chinese black rings of death on the back that are only four years old. Not put on by me I hasten to add! Anyway, they are awful, being noisy and dangerous in the wet. Thing is, the tread feels rock hard and they just look like typical old and well used tyres. They'll be coming off before my car returns to the road that's for sure.

Stashed away in the bowels of my shed is a set of Pirelli P7f from the early 90s and some Michelin TRX of the same era. These are all part worn and have been in storage for years and none of them actually show cracks or degradation of any sort. They are a bit harder than they once were but to all tense and purposes seem absolutely fine. I do plan on putting the Michelin's to light use eventually, but if they start to show signs of their age in use, that will be the end of the line. This is only due to the weird metric size being unavailable for years and the alternative being over £300 per corner, when available. I'll need to do some saving!
85/C Capri 2.8i Special. Mine 29+ years.
82/X Talbot Tagora SX V6. Restoration project.
11/11 Hyundai I Load CRDi. Van....... nuff said.

Last edited by ZedTeeT; 1st September 2018 at 12:51..
ZedTeeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2018, 17:52   #25
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

I guess checking the tyres when buying a s/h car and seeing that they've reached end-of-life gives another bargaining chip but tough for the seller who may have declared them as nearly-new on his classic whatever and only done 'show-miles'.
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2018, 19:15   #26
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunty View Post
Landsail dot code 2013. Arrowspeed 5013

Martin.
Landsail 5yrs 16 weeks so 36weeks left.

Arrowspeed 4yrs 38 weeks so 1yr 14 weeks left

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2018, 19:20   #27
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I did not know after 6 years for a car. Do many car tyres just go bang? I know with a caravan I'm more fussy about the age of a tyre and these are recommended to be changed at 5 years. I get the tyre place to check the age of caravan tyres when I get them and if more then 6 months old I wont accept them

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2018, 09:36   #28
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Quote:
I did not know after 6 years for a car. Do many car tyres just go bang
? I know with a caravan I'm more fussy about the age of a tyre and these are recommended to be changed at 5 years. I get the tyre place to check the age of caravan tyres when I get them and if more then 6 months old I wont accept them

macafee2
Hi Ian.
The description I am afraid uses that terrible word (Should) saying change after 6 years, but some cars do not do high mileage so the tread would most likely still be ok, therefore it is best practice to check your tyres every weekend, do a visual check, check the pressures, this can be combined with all the others weekend checking, oil, water, brake fluid, PAS fluid, lights etc.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2018, 22:47   #29
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

I would agree that the dates are of great importance for vehicles that cover much of their life at either motorway speeds, or more spirited driving habits where its crucial, however when performing MOT's there are a few tyres to be aware of which really are bad news when they have covered a fairly low mileage, Michelin, yep ! They have a compound within the mix (Which produces fantastic grip and performance) that allows side walls and between treads to perish quite significantly. We would expect this quality tyre to be far more reliable in build and longevity, but sadly they seem to be one of the more frequent offenders against say Arrowspeed or Landsail. The cost of them also makes your wallet scream !
This said, the price of Michelin's would steer most of us away compared to other brands - Yokohama, Hankook ETC.
The codes are a handy tool, and very important for the performance guys.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2018, 23:39   #30
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Tyres in the 80's had a far better rubber quality than today.
We've had to tell a customer his 2 and a half year old Avons on his 75 were well perished between the treads.

On the other hand my 1962 Minivan has Michelin ZX tyres on it 30 years old and absolutely no sign of cracking or perishing. The rubber's still supple.

For years we've always checked the date code of tyres before buying as there's a lot of old stock out there.

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote