Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th November 2008, 07:53   #1
apywell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon. 2.0 Diesel Auto. Connoisseur SE.

Default MAF problems

Hi Guys

Just got back from France, but with problems. Just pulled into the last toll booth in France and the car stalled when pulling away. Managed to pull over to a lay-by and there was some black smoke when I put my foot down. I tried pulling away from the lay-by and there was nothing only the gentle roll as you normally get with an auto. So, I unclipped the MAF and she was ok again. Drove the remaining journey back to the midlands without any problem.

How odd that everything was perfect up until I pulled into the toll booth. I thought it would have been a gradual failure of the sensor. Any thoughts?

I take it I need to speak to RR and a new MAF sensor? Can I just get the replacement MAF as I'm really happy with the performance and not that interested in upping the power as she is on 104,000 now and performance is just fine.

Any thoughts on this.... is there anything else it could be?

BTW, SWMBO was quite impressed when I managed to get the car going again from the advice I have read about on here.. ie unplugging the MAF..... although i was covered by the AA, it meant that we got the ferry on time.... such a great site this is...

cheers
Alan

Now has an S-Type 2.7 diesel V6 twin turbo with Jag voice, bluetooth, sat nav, front and rear park assist, electric fold mirrors etc, etc, etc.....
apywell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 17:41   #2
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Hi Alan it is a straight choice Pierburg maf and mafam or Synergy from Ron plus telling your insurer as both boxes are seen as mods so may attract a premium hike or buy a Genuine Bosch replacement.

Rons solution is cheaper if insurance does not get too greedy

Any chance it got wet?
Have you reconnected is it still dead?
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 11:52   #3
apywell
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Hi Alan it is a straight choice Pierburg maf and mafam or Synergy from Ron plus telling your insurer as both boxes are seen as mods so may attract a premium hike or buy a Genuine Bosch replacement.

Rons solution is cheaper if insurance does not get too greedy

Any chance it got wet?
Have you reconnected is it still dead?
Hi Keith

No, I have not reconnect it. There is a good chance it got wet, we were driving for about 3hrs in pooring rain when it suddenly died at the toll booth. I will plug it back in this evening and see if things are the same.

cheers

Now has an S-Type 2.7 diesel V6 twin turbo with Jag voice, bluetooth, sat nav, front and rear park assist, electric fold mirrors etc, etc, etc.....
Old 6th November 2008, 08:26   #4
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Water shorting the pins in the maf connecter has a massive effect

The car won't rev and produces zero power, when it happened to me I was lucky to be able to get up to 30 mph.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2008, 21:35   #5
apywell
Gets stuck in

Hi Keith,

finally got round to reconnecting the maf and it won't do anything but idle. So I start her up and put my foot down and there is no responce at all. I disconnect the maf and everything is ok again.

Is there anything else I could try?
Anybody know the price of a genuine replacement maf?
Are they any good?

cheers

Old 15th November 2008, 21:43   #6
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Genuine ones have been known to be unreliable and expensive.
Avoid the cheap ones on EBay, they really are NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-.
If you do not wish to go the Pierburg MAF way with either a Mafam or Synergy box from Rover Ron.
Purchase from here can be recommended for replacement MAF's.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-ROVER-...742.m153.l1262
Expensive but geuine.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2008, 14:44   #7
apywell
Gets stuck in

Thanks JDC. I have emailed them and lets see how much they are. If they are way too expensive I will contact RR. I'm just happy with the power and not sure about the long term effects of the synergy box, and insurance etc.

Old 16th November 2008, 19:22   #8
apywell
Gets stuck in

Doh.... I have had a reply from e-car parts and I didn't realise the page the link was to was the MAF sensor..... they call it the 'air flow meter or the air mass meter'.

I think it is because I have taken the sensor out before and it looked nothing like the pic on the ebay site. I remember modifying a screwdriver so I could take out the old MAF. Does the part I took out sit inside what is shown on the ebay site?

Not sure if my 75 has had it replaced before but 105000 miles ain't bad if not.

Now I'm confused.

Hope someone can clarify....

Is it easy to fit?

Last edited by apywell; 16th November 2008 at 19:24..
Old 16th November 2008, 22:36   #9
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

They are very easy to fit.
Just take it easy at own pace.
The Picture of the one from E Car Parts is the whole unit including MAF.
I expect you just physically changed the MAF before or just saw the item on its own.

You can of course if you do purchase that genuine one just take it out of unit.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 13:33   #10
apywell
Gets stuck in

Thanks JDC