Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd July 2008, 15:11   #1
tourerfogey
Banned

Default Ahh, but do they have to pay the money back?

Mr & Mrs Canoe man jailed today - but no mention as to whether their estate will be liquadated to pay back the money they obtained by fraudulent means.

If not, why not?
tourerfogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 15:20   #2
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

I read earlier that their assets are being claimed back. I think it was on ceefax
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 15:22   #3
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
I read earlier that their assets are being claimed back. I think it was on ceefax
forget the above

this is what I read on BBC website

A compensation hearing to determine how the couple can pay back the £250,000 they defrauded will take place at a later date.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 15:28   #4
pondweed
This is my second home

Waiter, Waiter! I seem to have a Roomster in my drive...

lets hope they are good at writing....
pondweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 15:55   #5
tourerfogey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondweed View Post
lets hope they are good at writing....
Let's hope they're not - that would be too easy a way out...
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:04   #6
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Channel 4 Films want to make a film of the story when they are released.
A script/book will need to be penned.
Money Problem solved.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 21:36   #7
apywell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon. 2.0 Diesel Auto. Connoisseur SE.

To be honest I don't understand why they are being sent down. From what I understand they are not a danger to the public, and I thought the prisons were full. Shouldn't their cells be used to house people who present a real danger. They should be made to pay all the money back with interest and some kind of financial deterrent.

Now has an S-Type 2.7 diesel V6 twin turbo with Jag voice, bluetooth, sat nav, front and rear park assist, electric fold mirrors etc, etc, etc.....
apywell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 21:44   #8
DJAndyB
Loves to post

1.8T ZT-T+ Commission Number 27101

Quote:
Originally Posted by apywell View Post
To be honest I don't understand why they are being sent down. From what I understand they are not a danger to the public, and I thought the prisons were full. Shouldn't their cells be used to house people who present a real danger. They should be made to pay all the money back with interest and some kind of financial deterrent.

Couldn't agree more. Just think a drunk yob without insurance who has an accident and kills someone gets just 20 months and the deceased cannot be bought back.

These people could, over time, repay the money and the costs of the case etc.

I cannot understand the sentencing guidelines in this country.
DJAndyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 22:18   #9
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAndyB View Post
I cannot understand the sentencing guidelines in this country.
Start off with the fact that one offence was deliberate and pre-meditated while the other was not.

Also, bear in mind that, historically, British Jurisprudence was introduced and evolved by, and for, property owners.

Last edited by Raistlin; 23rd July 2008 at 22:21..
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 11:20   #10
tourerfogey
Banned

In answer to my own question:

From AOL News today:

Police have begun to sift through the financial assets of John and Anne Darwin to recover the money the couple defrauded in their £250,000 canoe death scam.
The back-from-the-dead canoeist, 57, and his wife, 56, hatched their audacious plot to beat bankruptcy after running into financial difficulties.
Their "determined, sustained and sophisticated" fraud ended on Wednesday at Teesside Crown Court where Mr Darwin was jailed for six years and three months and his wife for six-and-a-half years.
In total, the Darwins claimed £250,820.75 in insurance payments and pension payouts over a five-and-half-year period.
The money was used to keep the couple afloat and allow them to pay off the hefty mortgage on their large marital home and portfolio of rental properties. When all the houses were sold off, the couple laundered the money - even using their own sons Mark, 32, and Anthony, 29 - via Jersey to Panama, where the couple started a new life.
Police believe that at the time the Darwins were arrested last December, their assets were worth £500,000 - the equivalent of one million US dollars in Panama.
After Mr Darwin walked into a London police station, officers began unravelling their complicated finances in Panama.
Mrs Darwin had bought an apartment in Panama City, which was worth 56,000 US dollars (£28,000), and spent 389,789 US dollars (£198,000) on land to build a canoeing centre for tourists.
Continuing Mr Darwin's love of large cars, the couple drove around in a 45,000 US dollars (£23,000) Toyota Land Cruiser. There were also two bank accounts in Panama - containing 319 US dollars (£160) and 220 US dollars (£110) respectively - a Yorkshire Bank account with £2,300, two HSBC bank accounts holding £60 and £550, and two HSBC bank accounts in Jersey with £1,800 US dollars (£900) and 100 US dollars (£50).
Detective Inspector Andy Greenwood, who led the inquiry into the couple, said police were already starting the process of getting the money back and a worldwide order is in place freezing the couple's assets.

With regard to them 'not being a danger to the public' and they therefore should not be sent to jail especially as they are full, then I don't agree - Just build more jails