Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st December 2006, 12:36   #1
Aga
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi Black Pearl

Default Auto-dim mirror with tinted windows

I am considering getting my windows tinted at some point. However, I have the auto-dim mirror that eliminates glare from headlights from the rear. If I put tinted windows in place, how will this affect my vision in the mirror? Will it become impossible to see or will the mirror adjust to the reduced light from the rear as a result of the tints?
Anybody know?
Aga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2006, 12:49   #2
The_Monk
I really should get out more.......

-

I was looking at getting my windows tinted but was more concerned about the antenna for the radio on the rear screen. Is this affected?

Glare from the headlights will be reduced by the tinting so the autodim mirror should dim less to compensate. Anyways you still have the two wing mirrors to use, I dont think an internal mirror is essential because what about vans?
The_Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2006, 14:29   #3
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

It's the brightness of the light hitting the mirror that darkens it, so less bright light, less dimming. Just try, in daylight, shining a torch onto the sensor, and watch the mirror get darker.

My thoughts FWTW, if you're concerned about the effect tinted windows will have on your mirrors, did you ought to be considering tinted windows in the first place? (forgive me, I'm not a fan of them, sorry)

Malcolm
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2006, 15:35   #4
Rich
Posted a thing or two

http://Roadca.ms - Letting you see what they see!

Your mirror won't dip, but then it won't need to as the glare won't be as bright (tint level permitting?).

Rear window ariels, satnav gps signal and mobile (pass-thru) antennas all unaffected by window tints
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2006, 16:12   #5
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichK View Post
Your mirror won't dip, but then it won't need to as the glare won't be as bright (tint level permitting?).

Rear window ariels, satnav gps signal and mobile (pass-thru) antennas all unaffected by window tints

They could be afected.......Tinted glass coatings are trimmed off with ultra sharp stanley style blades which can (and often do) cut right through the tiny cables for the Heated screen, This happened on my Terrano and the fitter denied it was his fault, I had to locate a rear screen from a breakers then had it fitted....... it depends if the wires are between the laminated layers of the glass or on the inside surface. be mucho carefull who does it and point it out before they start work.

the black Windows looked sooooo cool though on the black and Chrome Terrano (pathfinder version).

Jamie
Old 22nd December 2006, 19:46   #6
Aga
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi Black Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlin View Post
It's the brightness of the light hitting the mirror that darkens it, so less bright light, less dimming. Just try, in daylight, shining a torch onto the sensor, and watch the mirror get darker.

My thoughts FWTW, if you're concerned about the effect tinted windows will have on your mirrors, did you ought to be considering tinted windows in the first place? (forgive me, I'm not a fan of them, sorry)

Malcolm
I know what you say! but my car is black and I've seen some black cars with tints and ......... Oh my God!!!
I just have this vision!!!!
And it's not healthy!!!!
Aga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2006, 21:19   #7
Rich
Posted a thing or two

http://Roadca.ms - Letting you see what they see!

Get it done
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote