Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th March 2007, 18:26   #1
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Default Rocker cover

Today, I changed my sparkplugs and upon reinstalling the coil packs, held in by two bolts, I tightened up the bolts, and found that the threads had gone on one bolt on each coil. Now my dilemma, do I just leave it be or do I get a new rocker cover or get the hole helicoiled if poss? The coils are held in securely with one bolt each so I'm tempted to leave it.
Has this happenned to anyone else here?

Thanks.
Old 12th March 2007, 21:15   #2
Phil
This is my second home

pretty please with a cherry on top?
Old 12th March 2007, 21:22   #3
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Sorry no Replies up to now.
I have not heard of this on Forum or other Forums, hope someone will come along with some Positive Help Soon Phil.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 21:25   #4
Ivan
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190+

its one of those "dammed if i do, dammed if i dont"

it depends up on how you drive/where you drive/road condition ..... i.e it wont last long if you go down a very bumpy road etc as the current bolt is holding 100% more weight (or having to deal with 100% more forces, jolts etc) than before............ but thats the worst case senario

tbh it all depens upon which is cheaper/easier to do.
Old 12th March 2007, 21:36   #5
Phil
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
Sorry no Replies up to now.
I have not heard of this on Forum or other Forums, hope someone will come along with some Positive Help Soon Phil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
its one of those "dammed if i do, dammed if i dont"

it depends up on how you drive/where you drive/road condition ..... i.e it wont last long if you go down a very bumpy road etc as the current bolt is holding 100% more weight (or having to deal with 100% more forces, jolts etc) than before............ but thats the worst case senario

tbh it all depens upon which is cheaper/easier to do.
Thanks john, I'm up your neck of the woods next week. Bangor is it far? Whats it like - never been.

Ivan, I'm a teccy for Honda myself. I don't really see it as a huge problem cos the coil pack is a tight fit on top of the sparkplug anyway The bolts as far as I can tell are just there to keep keep it in place. I feel one is sufficient and you can't wiggle the coil pack at all with one bolt in place. I was quite shocked at the chocolate thread in the rocker cover. I tried tapping a new thread but that just made matters worse. I'm just looking for reassurance really and someone else to say I've done that.
Incidentally, how much is a new rocker cover?
Old 12th March 2007, 21:52   #6
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Phil, Its not the Best Example of North Wales IMHO but some lovely areas nearby, has got the University so with that comes Properties of Multiple Occupation if you get my drift. I'm away from Thursday otherwise could meet but should be back in UK by Friday Week if you have not departed Bangor before then.
Once off the Motorways keep on the A55 Expressway takes you straight to Bangor.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 22:00   #7
Phil
This is my second home

I'm there from Monday and will be heading off Friday Off to Ruthin first to do some family research at the offices there, will be going to Llandegla as well as that seems to be a very big family connection. Not recently hoewever.

Any recomended places to go? I'm up for a meet up if you are. Not sure how far you are away from where we are??
Old 12th March 2007, 22:02   #8
Ivan
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Ivan, I'm a teccy for Honda myself. I don't really see it as a huge problem cos the coil pack is a tight fit on top of the sparkplug anyway The bolts as far as I can tell are just there to keep keep it in place. I feel one is sufficient and you can't wiggle the coil pack at all with one bolt in place. I was quite shocked at the chocolate thread in the rocker cover. I tried tapping a new thread but that just made matters worse.
i would say heli coil then.......... but as you said it didnt go to well trying to tap out the hole a different size, so that may not be a option.

i am a firm believer in "it had 2 bolts for a reason" but i am like that anyway as i am a engineer lol as you said though if it dose feel well located where it is, and it wont cause damage/harm if it dose come loose. its personal choice m8
Old 12th March 2007, 22:11   #9
Phil
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
i would say heli coil then.......... but as you said it didnt go to well trying to tap out the hole a different size, so that may not be a option.

i am a firm believer in "it had 2 bolts for a reason" but i am like that anyway as i am a engineer lol as you said though if it dose feel well located where it is, and it wont cause damage/harm if it dose come loose. its personal choice m8
I'm incredibly fussy and would like it to be perfect but at what cost? I can't see it causing any problems but like you say, it had two bolts for a reason. And I know its wrong.