Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th March 2007, 13:36   #1
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts
Default All that talk about HIDs...

..got me wondering about those Xenon HID/Igniter kits you can buy. I know several members have 'converted' their original H7 Halogen dips to HIDs by changing the lamp units for those with 'Xenon Technology' embossed on the housing.

So, why are OEM HID units so marked? Are these lamps different in construction or materials from my Halogen/Blue Vision units? Clearly, the HID system operates at much higher temperatures and emits more UV, so are the housings specific to this technology?

Can a Xenon HID module with Igniter unit be fitted to 'standard' lamps without fear of overheating/degrading or whatever?

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2007, 09:25   #2
yp53
Loves to post

ex- Rover 75 CDTi Tourer

There are 3 types of headlight unit for the Mk1 75 & ZT (well 6 if you count the LHD versions :lol: ).
  1. Standard reflector unit swhich use filament bulbs for dipped and main beams (Not for Mk2)
  2. Projector units with filament bulbs which uses a projector lens for the dipped beam
  3. Xenon units which use HID gas discharge 'burners' and projector lens for the dipped beam, with a normal reflector & filament bulb for the main beam.

2 and 3 look similar exept for the 'xenon technology' lettering on the xenons. Internally the xenons have the ballast/ignitors and the burner/bulb fitting is very different.

As you are aware it is possible to buy HID kits where the burners use a standard filament bulb fitting such as H7. As the burners are longer than the standard bulb, it is sometimes necessary to remove the cap, if fitted, that shrouds the filament bulb to ensure only reflected light is emitted.

I have the OEM xenon units retrofitted in YP53 and very good they are too. One benefit is of the projector lenses (xenon or not) is that the beam doesn't appear to dim as quickly when the lens covers get dirty, as the light is passing through a much smaller area (ie it passes through less dirt than with the reflector lenses).

HID burners consume less power than the equivalent filament bulb and run a lot cooler as they do not rely on heat to produce light - its just an arc.

A word of caution - there are lots of adverts for 'xenon' bulbs that are just filament bulbs with a shot of xenon gas in them.
yp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2007, 20:39   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yp53 View Post
- - - - -
As you are aware it is possible to buy HID kits where the burners use a standard filament bulb fitting such as H7. As the burners are longer than the standard bulb, it is sometimes necessary to remove the cap, if fitted, that shrouds the filament bulb to ensure only reflected light is emitted.
OK I get your drift, but if you remove the 'cap' wouldn't that stop the projector system working? Aren't these H7/HID kits just plug and go?

TC
Old 12th March 2007, 07:34   #4
yp53
Loves to post

ex- Rover 75 CDTi Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
OK I get your drift, but if you remove the 'cap' wouldn't that stop the projector system working? Aren't these H7/HID kits just plug and go?

TC
The majority are just plug and go, its just on some cars (with reflector headlights) the cap needs to be removed otherwise the burner won't fit (its too long). I don't know if this is the case with the 75 reflector headlights. I doubt the normal projector headlights have a cap fitted.
yp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 07:53   #5
pshuttle
Avid contributor

BMW G20 320d. Previously, Rover 75 2.0 CDT Club SE and CDT Classic

On my HID kit the bulbs fit into the housing with no issues. I have been using my Xenons for about 8 or 9 months now and there has been no problem with overheating - I think the Projector units can stand the heat without problem.

Pete

Last edited by pshuttle; 12th March 2007 at 07:59..
pshuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 10:14   #6
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

@yp53/pshuttle,
Sounds good, many thanks.
One thing I'm wondering about is the bulb warning system. With HIDs at 35watts and standard bulbs at 55watts, does this trip the warning or does that only happen with 'zero' watts (ie.blown bulb)?

TC
Old 12th March 2007, 14:56   #7
pshuttle
Avid contributor

BMW G20 320d. Previously, Rover 75 2.0 CDT Club SE and CDT Classic

Works just as normal. If your xenon bulb does not ignite for some reason, you get the bulb warning indicator.

The ballast does all the trickery here - your car is not aware of any difference in voltage.

Well worth the effort in fitting them!

Pete