Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th September 2009, 09:27   #1
FTMLS

Rover 75 CDTi

Default Loss of power when driving - help a newbie please?

Hello all !

First of all this is a great site and I wish I had found it before I scrapped my old 600 .. but thats another story :-(

Anyway I've just bought a 75 Club CDTi on a W (00) plate and all things were going well until last week. Driving along suddenly car lost power and no revs. Pulled to road side, knocked ignition off, re-started and off she went, no problem. Wierd but hey-ho off we go.

Today same happened but when trying to re-start it it started but then just cut-out when I moved off. Pulled over again and car started and then cut out straight away. This happened a few times so left it for 5 minutes and tried again ... started, pulled away .. half a mile later stopped again.
Repeat, repeat.

On verge of abandoning when tried final time .. started pulled away and got me home (about 3 miles).

I have no idea whats up with it, I am in no way mechanically minded and am going to get it to a garage but before I did so thought I would ask the forum for any suggestions before someone rips me off. (or even recommend someone in the NE to take it to?)

Thanks in advance and once again .. great forum. Cheers.
FTMLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 10:08   #2
kevin
I really should get out more.......

ford focus ghia

to the club.
can't help myself. know nothing about oil burners.
sure someone will be along soon that can help.
kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 10:18   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

My first suggestion is that the in-tank pump is failing. It's very common with diesels and give the symptoms you describe. It's particularly troublesome when the tank's low. Means a replacement pump (expensive) or a DIY swap using a Peugeot equivalent (much less expensive). Lots of info around. Ther are other common issue tho.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 19:23   #4
FTMLS

Rover 75 CDTi

Thanks TC.

Had car into local garage and it appears that there has previously (before I got car 3 weeks ago) been a problem with water in the plenum and the ECU has got wet.

Someone has been in, disconnected some leads and there's lots of black tape about and signs of rust and corrosion.

I think probably I have a big problem on my hands .. but ... how much trouble do I have? Is this repairable or have I been well and truly 'tucked' ?

Thanks.
FTMLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 19:31   #5
chrishx5
Avid contributor

MG

if i remember correctly (I've not been active on the site for a while)
there is a company you can send the ecu off to who can repair them or at least tell you if its stuffed.

Try a search on ECU repairs !

Hope that helps.

ps. id its a diesel could the MAF be knackered ! or even the cam shaft sensor !
chrishx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 04:09   #6
mikey_32
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer 02 club se cdt remapped

Don't think it's be maf or cam sensor as niether would make the car cut out, I think I'm right when I say that maf would just make it gutless and the cam sensor is only used to start the car, as soon as the engine is running it doesn't use the cam sensor, I'd be hecking the ecu, I had a similar trouble but I managed to dry my ecu out on the radiator
Old 10th September 2009, 18:09   #7
David3807
Posted a thing or two

2002 R75 Conn SE 2.5l Auto Tourer, 2001 R75 Conn SE 2.5 Auto Saloon

If you need the ECU tested/repaired

http://www.the-ecu-doctor.co.uk/
David3807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 18:18   #8
Simon
Banned

-

Could be that the glow-plug relay has been stripped out (possibly due to previous water damage). If the taped-up wiring (which might be where the glow-plug relay once sat) is shorting out then it could be causing your problems.

Any chance of a picture of the area that has taped-up wiring and rust?
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 18:37   #9
Departed
Retired

--

When you get no revs, does the engine still idle OK? A bit as though a throttle cable had snapped?

If yes, it sounds like a problem with the throttle pot or wiring, or that bit of the ECU.

Another member had problems but his engine died and would not restart. This was succesfully fixed by repairing the ECU.

A proper diagnostic check with a testbook is probably worthwhile to find out what codes are stored.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 20:34   #10
apywell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon. 2.0 Diesel Auto. Connoisseur SE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_32 View Post
Don't think it's be maf or cam sensor as niether would make the car cut out, I think I'm right when I say that maf would just make it gutless and the cam sensor is only used to start the car, as soon as the engine is running it doesn't use the cam sensor, I'd be hecking the ecu, I had a similar trouble but I managed to dry my ecu out on the radiator
My year old MAF has packed up again and makes my 75 auto stall when doing 3-point turn etc.

Now has an S-Type 2.7 diesel V6 twin turbo with Jag voice, bluetooth, sat nav, front and rear park assist, electric fold mirrors etc, etc, etc.....
apywell is offline   Reply With Quote