Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th May 2009, 21:49   #31
Gman2
Posted a thing or two

ZTT+ 1.8T, mgf 1.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
Your problem emanates from under the number plate...have you got screws holding it in place by any chance? I wouldn't be taking it to Halfords for advice either...
So will under the plate be all rusty? Both my plates have been screwed on but recently replaced with stickies - is this a problem waiting to happen!
Gman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2009, 22:02   #32
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman2 View Post
So will under the plate be all rusty? Both my plates have been screwed on but recently replaced with stickies - is this a problem waiting to happen!
If it were me, I would pull the plate off and have a look, any rust there I'd have thought would be minimal, If any, I would drill out the hole where the old self tapper was so all rust has gone, use a touch up stick to paint the bare metal and then fill the hole with mastic type stuff once the touch up has dried.
Old 10th May 2009, 02:39   #33
Tim_Burgess
This is my second home

1999 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5, 2000 75 Classic SE 2.0, 2012 Lancia Delta 3, 2016 Dacia Sandero Ambiance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman2 View Post
Rear plate on my Y-reg is held on with screws & sticky pads. I replaced the orginal screwed - on rectangular plate with a smiley one when I bought the car, cleaned up behind the plate and screwed on. No signs of rust then or now and mine has lived outside for most of its life.

Anyway, the rust would have to travel a helluva distance to appear at the bottom of the plate from "normal" screw positions. Isn't it more likely that the culprit is rust travelling up from the fixing for the chrome trim? If so, that shouldn't be too difficult to sort out, but I don't know if I'd let Halfords do it.
Old 10th May 2009, 07:12   #34
apywell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon. 2.0 Diesel Auto. Connoisseur SE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_683 View Post
Found a pic of the area, as i said quality is not good! Didn't take the door card out to replace the seal, got it back in ok but shall be liberal with rust protection in future.
Thanks for this pic. I need to check mine for any signs of rust.

Now has an S-Type 2.7 diesel V6 twin turbo with Jag voice, bluetooth, sat nav, front and rear park assist, electric fold mirrors etc, etc, etc.....
apywell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 09:40   #35
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Wonder if Jamie has had his car from new as there's always the scenario that the boot has been refinished at some point & the convex area under the number plate might have been rubbed down to bare metal.

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote