Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th August 2019, 14:00   #1
elnoxx

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Help with Service on V6 2.5L Rover 75

Hi guys,

I got my Rover 75 V6 2.5L last week with 160k miles and from 2003.
Great condition overall no rust or leaks.

The owner did some service by himself and told me the car should be good for at least 50k miles.

However this is my first car ever and i never did any service or similar so i would like to know what is suggested to do on my Rover and how many miles should be in between these things.

So far it looks like this is needed:

- Oil & Air filter (how many KM in between?)
- Oil replacement (how many KM in between?)
- Coolant replacement (how many KM in between?)
- Engine belt replacement every 100k KM as i read online
- Ignition plug every 100k KM

Is that everything that is needed to take care of the Rover properly?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated
elnoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2019, 14:18   #2
timon
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi,

The oil change interval depends on the oil you use. The manual recommends an interval of 15 000 Miles(? this actually is quite high I find) with semi synthetic 10W40.
A good full synthetic should get you much further. Change the oil filter at the same time.

The belts should be good for 140 000 kilometers.

Plugs: 100k seems right, the rear ones are a pain to replace. I'm hoping it has already been done on my car once.

This is what I do on any car:
The air filter... changed only after 60 000 km, we're not living in a desert so they don't get saturated quickly.

Coolant 120 000 km or 3 years.

Last edited by timon; 28th August 2019 at 14:24..
timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2019, 14:52   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hello Franc and to the club.

I suspect that you will receive a variety of advice to the questions you have asked. First of all can I check that your car has covered 160,000 miles not kilometres? I'll use km in my answers so that you don't have to convert from miles.

With my car, sometimes I follow MG Rover's schedule and sometimes I don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnoxx View Post
- Oil & Air filter (how many KM in between?)
- Oil replacement (how many KM in between?)
The official interval for renewing engine oil and filter is 25,000 km. I think that's too long. I aim to change mine about every 10,000 km.
The air filter officially is replaced every 50,000 km but as timon says, it's easy to inspect it and act accordingly.
Quote:
- Coolant replacement (how many KM in between?)
This is specified in terms of time, every 4 years, because it is said that the anti-corrosion properties of OAT antifreeze remain effective for about that length of time. The label on my antifreeze container actually says 5 years.
Quote:
- Engine belt replacement every 100k KM as i read online
The timing belts (cambelts) are a contentious topic. Officially MG Rover specifies replacement at 150,000 km or every 6 years, whichever occurs first. It is a very expensive job, around £800 at a garage, so it deserves careful consideration. I deliberately left my belts until 150,000 km had been covered, ignoring the 6 years interval because I did not believe that a belt could deteriorate just standing still. When I removed them I was proved right. They were in perfect condition. However, the belt tensioner pulley and idler wheel were not. They exhibited bearing wear and that, in itself, could cause the belt to lose tension or even break. I would therefore recommend that you don't leave this job as late as 150,000 km but the important thing is that the tensioner pulley and idler wheel must be properly assessed and renewed if necessary. This is not specified in the MG Rover workshop instructions so do not assume that it will be carried out if you are having the work done at a garage.

As you have just bought the car, if you don't have documentary proof that the timing belts, pulley and idler wheel have been renewed then make sure it is done now.
Quote:
- Ignition plug every 100k KM
Correct; sparking plug renewal is every 100,000 km. However, these are "long life" plugs with three electrodes around a central conductor and when I extracted mine at that mileage they were in excellent condition and didn't really need renewing.
Quote:
Is that everything that is needed to take care of the Rover properly?
The official service schedule is available somewhere on the forum. You might like to have a look at that.

Simon
Old 28th August 2019, 14:56   #4
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/ind...epage=techdata

Last edited by suzublu; 28th August 2019 at 14:59..
suzublu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2019, 17:07   #5
elnoxx

Rover 75 Saloon

Thank you for the in depth answer

Yes you are correct i dont know if the idler wheel or tensioner pulley were replaced only the belt as it has a sticker that is quite recent from December 2018.
But thank you for that i will make sure to get that checked if i go into a garage.

The last owner replaced some brake related stuff and brake fluid and also did some wheel related stuff to get through the German "TÜV" i guess they required it.

Also im quite sure its 160k kilometres because the cars menus are in German so i guess it should show that since we never use miles here.
elnoxx is offline   Reply With Quote