Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th June 2019, 16:56   #1
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Big thanks to Stocktake!

At ridiculously short notice, Dave, the VIZ motor guru agreed to check out the motors on my 2.5 L Connie tourer prior to a long European journey I am about to undertake soon. I suspected a VIZ problem as I wasn't getting the response I expect from a working system while driving to and from Glasgow recently, although performance overall was still acceptable. Just a bit unresponsive though, not what I was used to from the usually keen 177 PS engine. Anyway, turned up (he's very near me) bonnet up and lo and behold, not one but both motors were stone dead! David replaced them both for a very reasonable charge and things now feel that they are back to the way they should be! The power motor was changed last year and in the last five years, I have had to twice replace the same motor (not with one of Dave's modified units I hasten to add). So I would like to thank Stocktake for taking the trouble to sort it out for me! Thank goodness for enthusiasts like him! Those motors are a right pain in the a**e.
minty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2019, 17:33   #2
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Hi David,
Nice to see you again, Only sorry I only had standard specification Vis motors to hand and none of my upgraded ones, they tend to be built to order.
Still, as i say they either work or they don't so until the standard units fail, best be keeping your money in your pocket.
Enjoy taking your good lady home

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2019, 17:34   #3
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

That’s what the club is all about, helping one and other. Well done Dave.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2019, 19:22   #4
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
and none of my upgraded ones, they tend to be built to order.
And I know where the latest upgraded / built to order VIS motors was sent. To me, I picked-up a batch of Dave’s upgraded motors today, all re-checked on arrival though it’s hardly necessary, short turn around in good time for our local meet on the 3rd of July in Enköping, Sweden.

Dave not only supplies individuals but others like me who are willing to continue his “not for gain” approach. Any member of our local Rover Club can order motors, they’re sent with fitting instructions and generally I expect the old ones returned within 2 weeks. No need to renovate just those particular motors, and no down time while awaiting new ones as I always try to keep a small stock. Works well, but at the end of the day, it only works because of Dave’s involvement and the advice he gave when I started this project.

Keep well Dave, and I hope you’re enjoying your retirement.

Mike
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2019, 06:34   #5
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi Mike. How many 75s do you think are left in Sweden/Scandinavia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
And I know where the latest upgraded / built to order VIS motors was sent. To me, I picked-up a batch of Dave’s upgraded motors today, all re-checked on arrival though it’s hardly necessary, short turn around in good time for our local meet on the 3rd of July in Enköping, Sweden.

Dave not only supplies individuals but others like me who are willing to continue his “not for gain” approach. Any member of our local Rover Club can order motors, they’re sent with fitting instructions and generally I expect the old ones returned within 2 weeks. No need to renovate just those particular motors, and no down time while awaiting new ones as I always try to keep a small stock. Works well, but at the end of the day, it only works because of Dave’s involvement and the advice he gave when I started this project.

Keep well Dave, and I hope you’re enjoying your retirement.

Mike
minty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2019, 08:10   #6
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by minty2 View Post
Hi Mike. How many 75s do you think are left in Sweden/Scandinavia?
Don’t have any details especially about the other Scandinavian countries however I’ve noticed more posts from Swedish owners than other countries.

What I can say is that I haven’t seen any other 75s in my town (pop 100,000) all year (other than our family’s fleet) and as most of the population lives down south, that’s where you’ll find most 75s. There are about 150 Rover club members in the Stockholm region but this includes other types eg SD1, however some owners have lots of cars, one I know of has about 40!

Apart from a few low mileage 75s, and some owned by club members, they’ve also reached junk status here too, I’ve picked up a few for family members for prices roughly around £400, requiring some work. As a professional change of belts will cost about £1000 most cars will never see service again.

Regards
Old 8th July 2019, 20:53   #7
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Another huge thank you to Dave for repairing a VIS motor for my Dad's ZT, 10 times quicker than it took me to get it posted to him.

I'm very grateful to members like Dave you give up their time to help us lot out with our 75's and ZT's. Thanks!
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2019, 21:21   #8
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

And that meet I mentioned in post 4 was by local standards quite busy, had my hands full testing / changing five Stocktake VIS motors, checking fans - 2 defective, and enabling digital speedo on one car with Toaf and the meet was only between 6 - 8 (ish). About the same time as it took to drive back home.

I heard one owner who’d just had his power changed say to a newcomer with also a defective power, “and he’s got replacements with him, only takes a few minutes”, a positive comment, from someone who perhaps thought they’d have to wait weeks for a replacement. Only possible thanks to Dave and his quick turn around.

Regards

Ps Anyone in Sweden who wants one can PM me (much cheaper than the local club's price) tester also available FOC. Can also now do replacement key fob circuit boards.