Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th February 2019, 08:09   #1
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default Dog comfort

We have two BC's one getting quite old and his much younger very troublesome, constantly teasing step-sister. The pair are best mates. In October a local newly opened Home Bargains were selling nice, big dog beds made from memory foam and ridiculously cheap, so we bought them one each, an his 'n hers. One in living room (her's) one in kitchen (his).

At first neither would use them, but now the game is to claim the others bed. He comes in to the living room and taunts her with a ball, until she vacates her bed and then jumps into her place. She does the same in the kitchen. She even tried squeezing onto the same bed as he was on one evening.

She follows us up to bed and sleeps on the landing and wakes me if either he or she needs to go out urgently in the middle of the night. He has fallen a couple of times struggling his weary bones up the steps, so now he has been told to sleep downstairs, which he does. He now likes to sleep behind the front door, so when I first got these beds I laid one by the front door for him, but he made a point of pushing it out of the way so I didn't bother again until recently.

Now he likes the beds I have been putting one behind the door for him. He gets slight pain from his arthritis, so he tends to moan a lot and quite loud especially during the night. Now he is much quieter on the bed. So that seems to be a definite thumbs up from the dogs for memory foam

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2019, 12:32   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Sounds good, we may have to invest! We had to throw the plastic dog bed away as the dog was trying to bury things in it! The scratching in the middle of the night was enough to wake the dead!

Border collies eh?
Old 7th February 2019, 17:28   #3
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Sounds good, we may have to invest! We had to throw the plastic dog bed away as the dog was trying to bury things in it! The scratching in the middle of the night was enough to wake the dead!

Border collies eh?

Yes, BC's ! We repurposed old bed quilts, folded and put in quilt covers originally as beds for them, but they tended to shove them all over so they needed frequent rearranging.

These are much better and the cover is removable to give them a wash. Hb only ever had the two super large ones in, the rest were much smaller or the usual padding type at the same price, but I checked on ebay and found the memory foam ones of a similar size for a few pounds more before buying from Hb.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 7th February 2019, 18:59   #4
stamfordzs

MG ZT-T, MG ZS 200

I converted our under stairs cupboard into the dogs bed area. Took the door off, linoed it and we went through various beds. For several years we have had a single memory foam mattress, excellent fit under there! With this covered and a single quilt on top our three Dalmatians love it! I even spend time in there with them.
stamfordzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2019, 06:44   #5
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

I always judge their likes and dislikes, by how quickly they 'take' to things. Where food is concerned they each have their likes and dislikes, but he is very choosy. Last night we had steak and chips with pepper sauce. We had a bit of steak and pepper sauce left over, so it was put in with their dinners, with the sauce at one side so they could leave it. The sauce was the first to go, so obviously they like it.

The night before we went out for a carvery and we always take a plastic take-away box for any left overs. He refuses to eat sprouts, she is fine with them, so we have to mash the sprouts up for him. He doesn't like beef chew sticks, but like chicken chew sticks. Both love those cheap pound shop 'gravy bones'.

Old 8th February 2019, 07:33   #6
Eddy600
Loves to post

Rover, MG

We have a now 7 year old labrador and have lost count on the amount of beds she has chewed or fluffed into oblivion, her current bed is from aldi's middle isle and is holding up great.
Eddy600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2019, 14:26   #7
Robti
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 190+,Rover 800 vitesse coupe

Have a Costco bed for mine although I don't know why, if I am quick enough coming into the house you can see the indentation on the couch and if touched its still warm with him lying on his bed, and if you say anything to him its just the cheeky 'who me look'
Old 9th February 2019, 22:37   #8
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robti View Post
Have a Costco bed for mine although I don't know why, if I am quick enough coming into the house you can see the indentation on the couch and if touched its still warm with him lying on his bed, and if you say anything to him its just the cheeky 'who me look'

They soon become wise as to what and how to get away with things. The female never dares to jump on the sofa or bed when Jean is around, but as soon as she goes out - up she jumps. Her big brother would never dream of climbing onto any furniture.

Neither animal has ever chewed any thing, that is apart from the female - she goes through the wast bins, or low hanging jacket pockets seeking tissues, paper, wrappers etc. shows you what she has got and runs around teasing you to take it from her. She particularly likes chewing up the card tubes from toilet rolls

She is also rather clever at putting/ balancing her tennis balls on tables, or chairs and often throws them for me to chase

Old 9th February 2019, 22:48   #9
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

They certainly know how to get comfortable...

Old 13th February 2019, 06:49   #10
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

My dogs sleep on the sofas.
They don't really have much interest in dog beds so I gave up with them.

My nearly 11 year old springer has arthritis. He doesn't help himself as he is like a JCB fast track.
Everywhere flat out. Then, spends a few days limping and taking it ever so slightly easier. I've put him on yumove tablets. He is now more bouncy than ever.

Just thought I would suggest it as a possible option for your older collie.