Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th November 2008, 16:24   #11
yp53
Loves to post

ex- Rover 75 CDTi Tourer

If you suffered a sudden loss of performance, the MAF is likely to have become contaminated with dirt - it may be worth cleaning it in Isopropyl Alcohol (Maplins sell it in spray and tins). The spray version allows you to give it a good blast without any danger of damage. Cheaper than a new MAF and may do the trick - I give mine a 'wash' every 30k in any case.
yp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 17:44   #12
apywell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon. 2.0 Diesel Auto. Connoisseur SE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yp53 View Post
If you suffered a sudden loss of performance, the MAF is likely to have become contaminated with dirt - it may be worth cleaning it in Isopropyl Alcohol (Maplins sell it in spray and tins). The spray version allows you to give it a good blast without any danger of damage. Cheaper than a new MAF and may do the trick - I give mine a 'wash' every 30k in any case.
I was thinking along these lines before I spend £130 notes. The puzzling thing is that performance was fine and no indication there was anything wrong while in France. As I say, I pulled in to pay at the toll booth and it stalled (an auto too). It managed to pull away to the rest area at the other side of the booth. I pulled in and stopped the car. After about 5 mins I started the engine and gave it a few deep revs (to the floor) ... loads of black smoke, that I have never seen before, came out from the exhaust. Put her in reverse and she coasted backwards. I then put her in 'D' and put my foot down. But nothing but the gentle rolling you get while in 'D' (revs never increased at all). I turned around and parked. Flipped the bonnet and unplugged the MAF. Then all ok.

It was perfect, then caput! No gradual loss of power or anything. I'll try cleaning first then put my order in on Monday.

cheers for the tip yp53

Now has an S-Type 2.7 diesel V6 twin turbo with Jag voice, bluetooth, sat nav, front and rear park assist, electric fold mirrors etc, etc, etc.....
apywell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 20:29   #13
apywell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon. 2.0 Diesel Auto. Connoisseur SE.

I know it's been a while but thought I'd update this thread. I did as suggested by yp53. I had to wait a week for Maplins to get me a can. It did make a difference but still playing up so decided to get one from the recomended ebayer (thanks john dot com). On returning to the site I noticed that the MAFs had been relisted and reduced down to £99. So I bagged one and fitted it last Saturday. She's running sweet again.

I'm a happy bunny

Now has an S-Type 2.7 diesel V6 twin turbo with Jag voice, bluetooth, sat nav, front and rear park assist, electric fold mirrors etc, etc, etc.....
apywell is offline   Reply With Quote