Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 6th December 2008, 22:19   #1
-Joe
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Classic SE 1.8T

Default Rover 75 D no oil preasure

Hello happy Rover people.

I have just bought a Rover 75 Diesel and it has a few problems the most serious being lack of oil preasure.
I have renewed the switch & had it measured by my local garage and it gives .5 bar at all engine speeds. When it should read 3.5 bar so I’m told. So far the engine still sounds sweet but I am not going to drive it till it’s fixed.
I added some engine oil flush yesterday and it seemed to fix the problem for 1 day, but now the problem has returned.
I’m sure that I have a mechanical problem with the oil pump / oil circulatiuon system. I intend to take the sump off
and have a look tomorrow. I expect to find the oil pick up clogged with muck, or the oil pressure relief value jammed open.
If the oil pick up is not blocked how can I service /clean the valve? Can I do it by just taking the lower sump cover off or do I need to entirely remove the sump? In fact where is the valve. Can’t seem to find a reference to it.
I have been on B*W forums too and they say the M47 can sludge up badly. Any ideas? I hope I can fix this myself.
Also I have the air bag light on but I have tried re plugging all under seat connections many times. As the light goes out briefly during start up I would guess the ECU is OK or surely it would be on constantly? I will try the connections again, but I don’t want to cut them. I may instead try using pins & wire to bypass each connector in turn.
Then try checking the steering wheel & finally check for water stains near the airbag ECU.
I have already fixed the brake pad warning light & ABS light. These faults were caused by broken wires leading from the wheels to the body. I would recommend removing all the wheels and checking all the wires under the arches as a first port of call for other folk with ABS / brake pad light problems.
Today I tried to fix the cup holder by removing it and fully greasing it but it still doesn’t work. What a rubbish design. Whoever was responsible for that design should be shot as a traitor along with the guy that invented the twin cable bonnet release.
Also the ashtray won’t fully open unless you tug it, but the cigar lighter socket opens nicely. I wonder how difficult it
Must be to make things that don’t work in such an anoying way, problaby harder than making something that works every time!
My current opinion of the car is that it looks nice, rides and steers perfectly but it could do with less B*W bits on it.
It’s a shame it didn’t come with an L / G / G16 series engine. Manual gearbox is nicer than PG1 though.
Why do Rover engineers always insist of placing the engine ECU in such stupid places? The Meastro 1.3 one where it can be kicked. the MG Meastro one where it can be drenched, the 220 Di where it can be shorted out and now
Which takes the top prize the Rover 75 one where it can be drowned. My guess is the that the bloke responsible for
Those desicisions was a saboutuer working for the other side.

The Fleet….
Triumph Spitfire Mk4 ( better than MX5 or MGF IMHO)
Rover 220Di (excellent car, bit front heavy & softly sprung, almost perfect spiritual successor to HLE)
Rover 75 (hopeful)
Rover 600ti (scary)

Has beens….
Scrapped Meastro 1.3HLE (best Meastro type, worth the millions of tax payers money to develop it)
Scrapped Meastro 1.6 (thirsty & not that much better than HLE)
Scrapped Meastro 2.0i (front heavy, thirsty but better than Golf Mk2)
Scrapped Late Meastro 1.3 city (no where near as good as the HLE)
Company car brand new Metro 114 (the skater, cos it skids a lot)
Company car brand new Astra 1.7D (good but bad brakes / fragile)
Company car brand new Fiat brava (very good but dull)
Company car brand new Punto (very good indeed but a bit scary)
Sold Golf Mk1 Gti (very good, suprisingly not scary and well mannered, parts expensive, ti & Di better though)
Old 7th December 2008, 10:53   #2
moonstoneboy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDT Tourer - naturally in Moonstone Green

What BMW bits don't you like then and surely the Classic does not have that many.

Paul
Old 8th December 2008, 14:01   #3
Cuda-uk
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

I would be interested in what you found when the sump was removed-- Slugde or not ???
Closed Thread