Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 28th November 2008, 15:31   #11
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lates View Post
Oooooo, a cdt stat. Not a nice job but results are very pleasing to say the least.
Get Pete on the case.....
Old 28th November 2008, 19:39   #12
apywell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon. 2.0 Diesel Auto. Connoisseur SE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lates View Post
Oooooo, a cdt stat. Not a nice job but results are very pleasing to say the least.
and a top class job done........

Now has an S-Type 2.7 diesel V6 twin turbo with Jag voice, bluetooth, sat nav, front and rear park assist, electric fold mirrors etc, etc, etc.....
Old 5th December 2008, 22:08   #13
madone
Posted a thing or two

none

For over a year my temp gauge has only been getting up to a third of the way and now and again rising to normal. I have put it off all this time but the time has come to have it replaced. A couple of days ago after a 10 mile run I sat for 10 min letting it tick over with the ATC turned off. The gauge rose to normal but when I put the ATC back on again it dropped slightly. From cold it heats up as normal so I am sure the stat is not stuck open, this applies to the summer months and now. As someone has said before it may be just all bunged up and not able to open and close as it should to regulate the temp.
It goes in the garage on Monday and I have been quoted £200 labour charge plus parts. Judging by how easy it sounds to do money well spent. Hopefully I will get the money back from improved fuel economy.
Old 6th December 2008, 06:59   #14
pondweed
This is my second home

Waiter, Waiter! I seem to have a Roomster in my drive...

interesting about pay back. Now we've got ability to monitor temperature through the dash diagnostics (see TCuts thread on 1.8hgf) would be interesting to see what the difference is and how much lower it gets with a faulty stat. I'm contemplating NOT doing mine as £275 is £275... pay back time might be too long. But I don't do morning commutes...
Old 6th December 2008, 08:09   #15
madone
Posted a thing or two

none

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondweed View Post
interesting about pay back. Now we've got ability to monitor temperature through the dash diagnostics (see TCuts thread on 1.8hgf) would be interesting to see what the difference is and how much lower it gets with a faulty stat. I'm contemplating NOT doing mine as £275 is £275... pay back time might be too long. But I don't do morning commutes...
Since Alex changed he's stat he reckons on an extra 100 miles a tank. I hope I get the same
Old 6th December 2008, 08:32   #16
pondweed
This is my second home

yes, that would be classed as worth doing...!
Old 6th December 2008, 09:24   #17
Frogwell
Regular poster

'02 Rover 75 Tourer Diesel

When I replaced my thermostat the fuel economy rose by about 25%. Add that to the fact that an engine running too cool is going to wear quite a bit faster than one at the correct temperature and I'd say it would be about the best performance mod you could make.
Old 6th December 2008, 12:52   #18
madone
Posted a thing or two

none

Decided to check the running temp using the diagnostics this morning. Started her up and with the FBH quickly got up to the usual place on the gauge (just above 1/4, about a third) and registered 65c/66c but ATC turned off. Set off and turned ATC on and it dropped to 63c. Went on a 15 mile run with speed up to 75 mph which showed 66c. At 55mph it rose to a max of 68c. Parked her up for about 10 min on tickover and the temp went to spot on halfway at 75c/76c, waited longer and the temp never got higher. These variations in temp have been the same for over a year so I doubt the cold weather has anything to do with it. Whilst on the move at any speed the max temp shown was 69c. I believe the FBH cuts out at 65c and explains why on a number of occassions it has been running longer than it used to, another reason for my drop in MPG.

Will try this again when the stat is replaced.
Old 6th December 2008, 13:03   #19
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Thanks for your readings. They confirm that the petrol and diesel temperature gauges are one and the same in terms of calibration (I use the term loosely). The 'quarter' mark on the gauge is equivalent to 64/65Centigrade. This rises to 75/76C at the 'Normal'/half way marker. I've no idea what the three-quarter mark represents other than a dangerous overheat. Any engine running at the three-quarter marker is in serious trouble.

TC
Old 6th December 2008, 16:22   #20
pondweed
This is my second home

very very useful.

Its crazy that a 1/4 mark means 10 degrees C rise, then "when it gets there" 20 degrees rise officially doesent do anything at all!

Mine seems to settle about at just over the 3/8 in cold weather, so I doubt I'm actually losing that much - its probably partially blocked so it wont quite close.
Closed Thread