Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st February 2017, 00:08   #1
-Joe
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Classic SE 1.8T

Default ABS fault of significance

About a year ago whilst my 75 was being tested the MOT tester burst a steel break line on the passenger side. Better they find that fault than me I figured so I let the garage repair install a new copper break pipe and due to the fact the rubber pipe would not undo and new one on those to at great expense to me.

The garage fitted a non standard rubber brake pipe with a metal spring protector.

Well months later today in fact disaster has struck. After a 1 mph sharp left turn whlst parking ABS light came on and stayed on. (failed static test)

Anyway. Wheel off inspect the problem. The ABS sensor wire had rubbed against the hose spring and both wires were just slighty bare. OK taped it up and tried ignition. ABS light still on. Disconnected battery for 30mins. Tried again ABS light still on.

No worries I have 3 spare sensors. Tried all of em. ABS light still on. Checked fuse 32 it's ok.

Here is my preliminarly theory.

Metal pipe protector wore through the insulation of the sensor cable shorted both sensor wires to ground and has blown up my ABS ECU.

This was always going to happen sooner or later due to the design of the non standard rubber brake hose. Rover pipes are just rubber no springs. Even with proper routing of hoses and wires this was ineveitable it was bound to happen.

So now I guess I have to replace my ABS ECU and pay to T4 it to the car then replace or find a solution to the hose / wire problem.

Can any of the top brains on this forum validate this outcome? If so then I may ask the garage for a contribution toward fixing the problem.

Just to prove that I am no amatuer see my How To's etc and here is my ABS brain dump for others that have dissimilar ABS faults.

ABS fast flickers - low voltage bad battery / alternator.
No Speedo - driverside front sensor gone.
Usual fault with ABS - sensor wire broken / have replacement sensor to check which one. No need for T4 to fix.
ABS light first comes on at speed - Rust on rear sensors.
Grunching wierd braking - Rust on magetic rear wheel bearing.

Even a tiny spec of rust on the rear magnetic thing is enough to cause problems. Some small flecks don't even get ABS light on but still cause nastyness. Rear backplates are thin and rust prone right near sensor. To fix remove rear rotor no need to unbolt sensor. clean from outside. Make wheel bearing surface super clean.

Drilling out sensors - stupid idea will cause problems almost every time. Very easy to damage wheel bearings. Rear sensors hammer out from outside. Front sensors driveshaft out and press out from inside front hub. Put new ones in with grease.

Had your wheel bearings changed by garage and now ABS light on? Well your garage broke your sensors by being clumsy.

So can anyone confirm this.

Another top tip Airbag ECU dies with a short to chasis beware.

Does this mean the idiots that designed these electrical systems (Bosche / BWM) have never heard of fuses? A simple ground fault caused by a easily damaged wires kills expensive and painful to change ABS and AIRBAG ECU's on our cars..

Makes me want to re-whatch that You tube vidoe of the LUK Uk guy holding a carbon fibre clutch master cylinder and praising it's excellence in light weight design.. Hmmm. The same part that put 10% plus of Rover 75's in scrapyards.... Grrr.
-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote