Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th January 2016, 22:15   #1391
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Do not drill a hole.
The system is self bleeding once the stat opens for the first time.

ie
You may see the temp rise to 110C once after refil then a sudden drop to 88C

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 22:29   #1392
Busboy
Loves to post

75 tourer (facelift) 2.0 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Incensed View Post
Well done on getting the response, even if it's not what we were hoping for.

I'm still trying to find an alternative thermostat and I'm off to my local parts dept tomorrow, with what I've found. But BMW's reply that it would'nt make any difference doesn't bode well. This is born out by tales of good mpg obtained by members with stuck-open thermostats.

As for the motor being too (thermally) efficient, then why does it use so much diesel for the power output? As T-Cut said, it seems the cooling system is the thing that's too efficient! James' idea of restricting the air flow to the radiator has been put to me by others and currently seems the best solution. Perhaps someone can devise a way of diverting some of the air blasting through the grille into the air intake.
Hmmm! This is a long and very technical thread, I have a vested interest because I have a late CDTi.

As a more aged member, I recall that when I had classic cars in the 1970's /80's some of them had black leather radiator muffs fitted, which greatly helped in reducing cold air flow when driving off in the winter with an ice cold engine. Also London Transport even used a sliding steel panel on the RT Type double decker bus that could be risen in cold weather to reduce air flow, as the 1939 AEC engine was also thermally efficient, so there you have it folks, 2 vehicles 60 years difference and technicnically streets apart but one common souoution , Stick a muff on the front, I have and it works a treat!!!
Busboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 23:05   #1393
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

A radiator blind may help the running temp in certain circumstances but it won't make any difference to the warm up time because there is no coolant flow through the rad during this phase until the stat starts to open.

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 23:15   #1394
Busboy
Loves to post

75 tourer (facelift) 2.0 CDTi

Thanks for your reply Jules, I will let you play around with my car when I come up to see you later in the year!

Last edited by Busboy; 28th January 2016 at 23:16.. Reason: Spelling
Busboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 23:20   #1395
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
A radiator blind may help the running temp in certain circumstances but it won't make any difference to the warm up time because there is no coolant flow through the rad during this phase until the stat starts to open.
I can attest to this, having blocked off my upper and lower grilles, with duct tape. Although it did increase the running temp literally by a couple of degrees, it simply wouldnt be worth it.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2016, 04:23   #1396
BadgeStar

Mk1 Rover 75 CDT Con Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Do not drill a hole.
The system is self bleeding once the stat opens for the first time.

ie
You may see the temp rise to 110C once after refil then a sudden drop to 88C
Thanks Jules ..... Bleeding was my next question!

Barry.
BadgeStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2016, 09:08   #1397
PaulR
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon (and P4 100)

I cut pieces of corrugated plastic sheet (the type you get pinned to the garden wall advertising the builder when you have had new windows or similar) to shape. These just slot in nicely behind the radiator grille to form an invisible radiator muff, admittedly only covering half the radiator. I used it during the very cold winters we had a few years ago and felt that it did help to keep the engine warm when the heater was running, but it might have been wishful thinking!

Last edited by PaulR; 29th January 2016 at 09:10..
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2016, 09:51   #1398
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
I cut pieces of corrugated plastic sheet (the type you get pinned to the garden wall advertising the builder when you have had new windows or similar) to shape. These just slot in nicely behind the radiator grille to form an invisible radiator muff, admittedly only covering half the radiator. I used it during the very cold winters we had a few years ago and felt that it did help to keep the engine warm when the heater was running, but it might have been wishful thinking!
IMHO,it'useless as the role of the thermostat is to maintain the engine temp
by allowing more or less coolant through the radiator ...
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2016, 18:24   #1399
paulf
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur 1999, 2004 cdti connosieurur

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulf View Post
This seems a worthwhile mod for those with thermostat problems but has anyone thought of using a Renault in hose stat?.It seems to be a common mod on Vauxhalls to avoid removing the cam belt when the thermostat packs up.
My thermostat seems marginal at present as its running at 80 to 83c and if it gets worse im going to try an 88c Renault 5 thermostat in the top hose.
Paul
Well 6 years latter I finally replaced my 300,000 mile 1999 cdt with a 2004 cdti and the first thing I found when I had it on the road after replacing clutch and front suspension bushes and strut top bearings, was that it didnt warm up. Even on a hot day it only got to a quarter on the gauge and returned 42mpg and so finally got to try the mod for myself today, it now gets to normal on the gauge in a couple of miles and engine response is a lot better, I just need to see what effect it has on fuel consumption as my old car used to average 49 to 50 mpg.
Paul
paulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2016, 18:28   #1400
paulf
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur 1999, 2004 cdti connosieurur

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Which reminds me. Has anyone got an update on the performance of the 'Mk3' stat from DMGRS?

Maybe it's not been in use long enough yet, but it would be interesting to compare the longevity of Mk1, 2 and 3. As far as I'm aware, the Mk1s are still going strong though maybe few in number(?). The Mk2s are the reason for this 140 page thread and the Mk3s are hopefully an OEM style permanent fix.

TC
I assume that my 1999 car was a mk1 thermostat as I have owned the car for 7 years and never had a problem with it, my replacement is a 2004 car and the thermostat had failed.
paulf is offline   Reply With Quote