Notices

Old 4th September 2008, 21:01   #21
CDTi
This is my second home

No longer in the MGR club

Quote:
Originally Posted by apywell View Post
Can you help me....

We have a Wii and a Virgin media set top box (broadband) next to it. What do I need to purchase to get on the internet?

Alan
I'm not familiar with the Virgin box but in general terms you need either a wireless router or a Wii LAN adaptor to access the internet on the Wii. If the Virgin box is wireless then you are good to go for Wii internet access if you purchase the Wii points (I think it was €5).

If the Virgin box isn't wireless then you need to get a Wii LAN adaptor and connect directly to the broadband box with a standard LAN cable. Again you need the Wii points for the internet "channel"

Does this make sense?

CDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 21:46   #22
apywell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon. 2.0 Diesel Auto. Connoisseur SE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDTi View Post
I'm not familiar with the Virgin box but in general terms you need either a wireless router or a Wii LAN adaptor to access the internet on the Wii. If the Virgin box is wireless then you are good to go for Wii internet access if you purchase the Wii points (I think it was €5).

If the Virgin box isn't wireless then you need to get a Wii LAN adaptor and connect directly to the broadband box with a standard LAN cable. Again you need the Wii points for the internet "channel"

Does this make sense?
I do have a wireless Belkin router. So I need Wii points? What are these like?

Now has an S-Type 2.7 diesel V6 twin turbo with Jag voice, bluetooth, sat nav, front and rear park assist, electric fold mirrors etc, etc, etc.....
apywell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 22:01   #23
CDTi
This is my second home

Quote:
I do have a wireless Belkin router. So I need Wii points? What are these like?
You can buy these from the Wii IIRC (with a cdedit card). I think you need €5 worth. Its somewhere in the Wii menu. Alternatively you can buy ther points in a shop and add them to your Wii.

Its a bit of a con, really. You would think that internet access would be standard on something that costs as much as a Wii .

Old 5th September 2008, 08:29   #24
apywell
Gets stuck in

I'm still a bit confused because reading around it would seem that the Wii has built-in wifi and should connect without any additional hardware or cost. I didn't realise wifi was built in.

Think I'll have have a go at connecting when I get home.

Now has an S-Type 2.7 diesel V6 twin turbo with Jag voice, bluetooth, sat nav, front and rear park assist, electric fold mirrors etc, etc, etc.....
Old 5th September 2008, 08:56   #25
CDTi
This is my second home

Quote:
I'm still a bit confused because reading around it would seem that the Wii has built-in wifi and should connect without any additional hardware or cost. I didn't realise wifi was built in.

Think I'll have have a go at connecting when I get home.
The Wii does have built in WiFi but you need the points to add the internet channel. Without this channel, you Wii will just connect to the internet for downloads.

TBH, the browser (Opera) isn't that great. I would also recommend getting a keyboard

Old 5th September 2008, 13:21   #26
apywell
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDTi View Post
The Wii does have built in WiFi but you need the points to add the internet channel. Without this channel, you Wii will just connect to the internet for downloads.

TBH, the browser (Opera) isn't that great. I would also recommend getting a keyboard
Popped home at dinner and yes I can get the weather and that's about it. Something wrong with the news channel. I saw where you can get points and figured I needed these to get on the internet.