Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th August 2008, 17:45   #1
efreeti
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDT 130+ (04) & 75 Tourer CDT Auto (52) & a 1998 MGF (with HGF!)

Default Both rear springs or just one?

Just picked up the tourer from a full service and there are a few bits that need attention before I take it to France next week.

The o\s\r spring is broken. Just looked at Podge's excellent how to and it seems like a reasonable thing to attempt myself. Just wondering if I need to do both sides? I guess both sides would be preferable but due to my time constraints would replacing the broken one be ok for now, keeping in mind I am about to put a couple of thosand more miles on it over the next couple of weeks?

2 new tyres needed (grump), there is a notch in the steering rack... not sure what that even means.

Oh yeah, and a feathered fan belt.

Les, Les, are you in?

Replace in tank fuel pump with Peugeot alternative
Dismantle and re-fit interior and seats
Retrofit electric memory seats without the loom
All followed at your own risk!

Available to borrow: I have a home made (tried and tested) Cam Locking tool for M47 should anyone need it.
efreeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 17:50   #2
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

In an ideal world both should be fitted, as we don't live in an ideal world just fit the one and you will be ok - as long as the car sits level afterwards
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 18:16   #3
David3807
Posted a thing or two

2002 R75 Conn SE 2.5l Auto Tourer, 2001 R75 Conn SE 2.5 Auto Saloon

Suppose I could be called a bit of a worrier but when it comes to safety items I always replace both sides at the same time on the basis that if the parts are original fit, the left side and right side of anything are likely to have come from the same manufacturing batch. Thus if one has failed the other will not be far behind.
David3807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 18:26   #4
podge
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Tourer CDT CLUB SE Copper Red Mica Dec 01 ....now deceased....replaced by2003 Royal Blue T

For what its worth, do both and do the near side first and you will breeze the off side, if you have time, soak all the fixings in plus gas etc the night before.It really is not that difficult a job.P.

B.M.Ws loss........OUR GAIN!!!!!!!!
http://knowledgerush.com/wiki_image/...arp.300pix.jpghttp://farm1.static.flickr.com/167/3...b847e1c5_m.jpg
podge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 18:41   #5
tourerfogey
Banned

Shock absorbers should always be replaced in pairs and I'd do the same with springs.
tourerfogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 19:53   #6
apywell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon. 2.0 Diesel Auto. Connoisseur SE.

Yep I have had one spring break on the front and back and always replaced the pair. So now my 75 is sitting on new springs all round...

Now has an S-Type 2.7 diesel V6 twin turbo with Jag voice, bluetooth, sat nav, front and rear park assist, electric fold mirrors etc, etc, etc.....
apywell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 20:34   #7
efreeti
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDT 130+ (04) & 75 Tourer CDT Auto (52) & a 1998 MGF (with HGF!)

Guess I should go for both of them. I sort of knew I should... think I just needed some moral support

I only really have Saturday to get everyhting sorted out though, including the belt so I am just praying for some good weather!!

No idea what this notch on the steering rack is all about. Unfortunatley the mechanic who did the service had gone home when I went to collect, so all I have are the notes! Will try and ring tomorrow to probe for more information.

Replace in tank fuel pump with Peugeot alternative
Dismantle and re-fit interior and seats
Retrofit electric memory seats without the loom
All followed at your own risk!

Available to borrow: I have a home made (tried and tested) Cam Locking tool for M47 should anyone need it.
efreeti is offline   Reply With Quote