Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd April 2008, 19:24   #31
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

I phoned Furrows today to try and get two springs in for the weekend, no luck on backorder with Xpart so thats the car off the road for a couple of weeks at least now as I am working in London all next week.

Fortunately having checked thepart.com I reckon I might be able to get a couple (If the dealers actually have the stock shown) on my way home next Friday.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 19:35   #32
David3807
Posted a thing or two

2002 R75 Conn SE 2.5l Auto Tourer, 2001 R75 Conn SE 2.5 Auto Saloon

Have you tried Rimmers ??? Or any other likely X Part dealer

If you ordered tomorrow (and they have them) you might still have the springs by this weekend.

Had the same 'back order' problem when front springs on my Saloon went last year. Ended up sourcing one from Devon and another from Manchester. Both arrived quickly.

Last edited by David3807; 3rd April 2008 at 16:12..
David3807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 12:01   #33
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Yep I checked their web site last night and then called Rimmers first thing.
Both springs and top strut bearings were stock so maybe I will be in luck and have them tomorrow.

I also found a job lot of 5 spring cover sets on Ebay!
So I will have a few spares for the future.

The potential risk I faced of having a nasty accident means to be safe I will fit these covers to any future car I own as well.
Old 5th April 2008, 21:41   #34
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

All fixed today

New springs and top strut bearings arrived from Rimmers yesterday, excellent service

I also manage obtain 5 set of the protectors as a job lot on ebay so now have a few spare for the future as if I buy another 75 I am going to fit them anyway.

I found out why my top strut bearings had failed they were full of dirt thrown up by the wheels over time!

I also gave all the ball joint a once over and re-greased them all

One thing to mention the bolts for the wishbone ball joint at the very bottom of the strut was virtually seized solid on both sides so I replaced those I reckon another year and I would have had to cut them out

Off to London for the rest of the week ttfn
Old 2nd August 2008, 16:55   #35
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Bump for newbies

I fitted the protectors to my Tourer this afternoon as a preventative measure.
Far cheaper than a new tyre!
Old 2nd August 2008, 17:32   #36
HarleymanFXD
Avid contributor

ROVER 75 CDT

seems a common fault. Our other car is a Fiat Stilo. I got a call off the fragrant one at 6:00 in the morning on a cold November morning, she was on her way to work, just got onto the slip road heading onto the motorway and she heard a bang, and pulled over. Called me out I drove to where she was and saw that the front offside tyre was flat. Figured she had just had a blow out so I pulled the spare out and set about changing it. When I got the tyre off I could see that the causse of the blow out was spring failure. It cost around £260 for 2 new springs and a tyre to be fitted off memory. So it looks like this spring thing is common across makes these days.

(had the Stilo 5 years it was a former lease car and apart from the spring thing not a problem)
HarleymanFXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2008, 18:05   #37
GerryT
Avid contributor

MG ZT+190

Reference : R/2004/036 Manufacturer Ref : Make: MG ROVER Model : Rover 75 Launch Date : 12/05/2004 Numbers Involved : 33523 Build Start Date : 27/10/1999 Build End Date : 20/02/2002 Recall Details Concern : POSSIBLE DAMAGE AND DEFLATION OF TYRE DUE TO ROAD SPRING Description : There is a possibility that the if a front road spring failed at the lower end, it could contact and damage the tyre Remedial Action : Recall affected vehicles and fit an additional lower road spring retention fixture which will protect the tyre in the event of a spring failure Vehicle Id : RJ133300********* to RJ247257*********
:EDIT:
should have read all of the thread before posting that

Last edited by GerryT; 2nd August 2008 at 20:25..
GerryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2008, 20:10   #38
apywell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon. 2.0 Diesel Auto. Connoisseur SE.

Had my front springs replaced a few weeks ago (done all 4 now).. I thought the spring problem was down to a dodgy batch. New replacements should be ok, shouldn't they?

Now has an S-Type 2.7 diesel V6 twin turbo with Jag voice, bluetooth, sat nav, front and rear park assist, electric fold mirrors etc, etc, etc.....
apywell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 15:05   #39
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Now the rears have gone!

I went to Chirk Castle yesterday to see the snowdrops.
Whilst waiting to park there was an almighty bang from the rear.

I have just had the wheel off and sure enough the rear nearside has gone right at the bottom!

I took the off side wheel off and that too has snapped in exactly the same place but no idea when that one went

Two new springs will be on order in a day or so

So Alan it will soon be all four for me as well
Old 17th February 2009, 21:35   #40
apywell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon. 2.0 Diesel Auto. Connoisseur SE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Now the rears have gone!

I went to Chirk Castle yesterday to see the snowdrops.
Whilst waiting to park there was an almighty bang from the rear.

I have just had the wheel off and sure enough the rear nearside has gone right at the bottom!

I took the off side wheel off and that too has snapped in exactly the same place but no idea when that one went

Two new springs will be on order in a day or so

So Alan it will soon be all four for me as well
Odd that the rear ones can go without any obvious signs... (apart from the one that went bang) I didn't know the rear had fractured, but the front ones are dangerous..

Now has an S-Type 2.7 diesel V6 twin turbo with Jag voice, bluetooth, sat nav, front and rear park assist, electric fold mirrors etc, etc, etc.....
apywell is offline   Reply With Quote